Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mvmac

Graeme McDowell pleads with fans to stop yelling, calls it 'rubbish'

41 posts in this topic

Graeme McDowell closed with a 4-under 68 to win the World Challenge by three shots on Sunday, his first title in two years and had to deal with "You da Man!" type gallery shouters.  McDowell apparently became annoyed by a spectator who was “Yabba Dabba Do-ing” after each shot during the final round at Sherwood.  I also heard a few B aba Booey's, if you're fan of Howard Stern you'll get the reference.

Quote:
I’m kind of fed up with all this ‘mashed potatoes’ and all this rubbish that the crowd is kind of enjoying shouting right now,” he told reporters afterward. “Keegan had a guy out there who was – after every shot he was ‘Yabba Dabba Do-ing,’ and it was just stupid. It’s not a lot of fun, and it’s kind of becoming a little bit of a cool thing to do for the spectators. It kind of gives them their two or three seconds of fame. But it gets a little frustrating for everyone.

This followed Keegan Bradely being called a cheater during Saturday's round for using an anchored style of putting.  The USGA responded, condemning the act

Quote:
This is a deplorable incident, and there is no place in our game for this kind of behavior,

Should the Tour do something to try lessen these kind of outbursts?  Can they afford to stop selling alcohol?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Originally Posted by mvmac

Should the Tour do something to try lessen these kind of outbursts?  Can they afford to stop selling alcohol?

I'd be curious to know what the stats are regarding revenue from live attendees.  Also, I can't imagine that the majority of fans that go to see live golf (perhaps not counting in Phoenix) are going to be turned away by a lack of alcohol.  And, I would imagine that you would cut down somewhat (certainly not all, some people are sober idiots) on the yelling.

I don't know if it's true about all of college football (I don't think it is), but there are some schools that don't sell alcohol at games and they manage just fine.  (pretty sure UCLA is one)

Side note:  When I first read the title of the thread, I read it as Graeme being annoyed at fans who were actually yelling "RUBBISH!!"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Alcohol shouldn't take full blame for the kinds of "rubbish" being yelled since a good amount of spectators drink booze and can still maintain composure.

If the tour would do something about it, it's as simple as kicking out the offending spectator. As far as I'm concerned, that's one less annoying person to worry about.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you can craft language  about such individual outbursts and leave it in the sole discretion of tournament officials to warn, and then have security escort guilty spectators off the premises.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Was this the very subtle "jerk off" signal that he gave someone in the crowd? Not too long after some idiot with "MASHED POTATOES". Forgot what hole it was on. I paused and rewound and said "Yup, that was definitely an air jerk", LOL

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should the Tour do something to try lessen these kind of outbursts?  Can they afford to stop selling alcohol?

I want to say yes, but I'm not sure how. Doubt they'd stop the alcohol service. I hate those idiots shouting all kinds of nonsense out there. "Nice shot", "WoW", "Woooo" or something like that is fine, but that other stuff is just ramblings of an idiot, perhaps drunken at that. I'm not saying golf should be the stiff upper lip gentleman's stereotype, but it's not football and it's not hockey. "Mashed potatoes" was fun the first time. The following 542 was just *facepalm*. If they are able to, give people warnings and throw them out if they don't stop. I can't imagine most of the spectators care much for it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by John S

Was this the very subtle "jerk off" signal that he gave someone in the crowd? Not too long after some idiot with "MASHED POTATOES". Forgot what hole it was on. I paused and rewound and said "Yup, that was definitely an air jerk", LOL

Yep, think it was the last, my - admittedly poor lip reading skills - detected a word something like "Banker", which would correspond with that jesture in the UK.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Golf fans need to start policing themselves.

By that, if you observe someone yelling something stupid, get the attention of a tournament worker and let them know.  With any luck, security will have a chat with them and let them know that if they don't knock it off, they'll be leaving.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've come to the conclusion a long time ago that most people are idiots. People feel as though they've paid their money to be there and they can act however they want.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok this guy's an idiot but this might be my all time favorite "rubbish"

Light the Candle???

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must have lost my sense of humor - it's just sad ... all this loud attention grabbing.

Why not go back to streaking?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

Alcohol shouldn't take full blame for the kinds of "rubbish" being yelled since a good amount of spectators drink booze and can still maintain composure.

If the tour would do something about it, it's as simple as kicking out the offending spectator. As far as I'm concerned, that's one less annoying person to worry about.

This is the same as the "guns don't kill people, people do" argument against gun control.  (Not saying it's a wrong argument, and not wanting to start a gun control debate either, just pointing out the similarity)

If they found that it would help, I would be OK with them banning alcohol to keep people from exhibiting this type of behavior, even though most people who drink alcohol do not act like this.  I feel like its a small price to pay to "have" to enjoy your professional golf sober such that you can continue to enjoy your professional golf without "wankers" like these guys ruining it for you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's how you fix this, you give the right of the player to kick a person out of the tournament. Meaning if Bradley got to the point were it was bothering him, he should have the right to kick that guy off the golf course. If you want to act like an bleeping idiot and actually effect a golfer's game, live with the consequences, meaning in the terms of baseball, "YOUR OUT OF HERE"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

This is the same as the "guns don't kill people, people do" argument against gun control.  (Not saying it's a wrong argument, and not wanting to start a gun control debate either, just pointing out the similarity)

If they found that it would help, I would be OK with them banning alcohol to keep people from exhibiting this type of behavior, even though most people who drink alcohol do not act like this.  I feel like its a small price to pay to "have" to enjoy your professional golf sober such that you can continue to enjoy your professional golf without "wankers" like these guys ruining it for you.

I think if banning alcohol helps other patrons enjoy themselves, then I'm for it. It doesn't make a difference to me since I don't usually drink alcohol during any sporting event. But I've seen many others drink and still have the same sense of consideration as the sober guy next to them. Either way, I still don't think banning alcohol will solve this issue since there are still a lot of sober morons out there.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best way to stop this crap would be for the player to go to the c*ckhead in the crowd and front him on National TV so everyone could see the face of these loudmouth idiots , after a few exposures I'm sure the garbage would cease when friends and family could see what Tools these guys are.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

I think if banning alcohol helps other patrons enjoy themselves, then I'm for it. It doesn't make a difference to me since I don't usually drink alcohol during any sporting event. But I've seen many others drink and still have the same sense of consideration as the sober guy next to them. Either way, I still don't think banning alcohol will solve this issue since there are still a lot of sober morons out there.

Yeah, I agree with that.  (I also don't drink while at games, not only because it's so expensive, but mainly because I like to pay attention to what's going on)

Another silly analogy I could make is that we could argue that we don't really need a law that prevents us from murdering other people because 99.999% of the people out there who don't murder people are not refraining simply because it's against the law.

Of course, to your point, even though we have the law against murdering people, morons (drunk or otherwise) still tend to do it.  So you are probably right that it won't help much to stop serving alcohol.

The reason (I'm guessing so forgive me if I'm wrong) people do it is because they think it's cool and want to be heard ... I'm assuming mainly on TV.  When jumping onto the football or baseball field and running around like an idiot started to get really popular to the morons the TV people made an attempt to curb it by not showing them.  Obviously it still happens on occasion, but it seems a lot more rare.  I wonder if there was a way they could mute the nearby fans for the quiet moments immediately following shots to take away the incentive to "be heard" and thus cutting down on the nonsense without diminishing the experience for us viewers?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by wadesworld

Golf fans need to start policing themselves.

By that, if you observe someone yelling something stupid, get the attention of a tournament worker and let them know.  With any luck, security will have a chat with them and let them know that if they don't knock it off, they'll be leaving.

This.  If the tour believes it is an issue (obviously it is if players are complaining about it), then the tournament should make fans aware that they would like help policing and identifying spectators who exhibit such unruly behavior.  And anyone caught abusing their right to spectate, the said offender will be removed from the grounds by a tournament official, or onsite security.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • The most esoteric golf tournament name ever...
    • Hey all, we are off and running.  My #1 shot a 79 at a collegiate course where we played the "white tee positions" for the majority of the tournament.  She was working on an exceptional round when she triple bogeyed hole 18.  She is real long off of the tee.  She is rock solid on the green.  Word is finally out there about her and I've worked hard at getting her name in front of college coaches.  After this showing (2nd) she has received 5 emails from 5 colleges this week.  Tonight, she shot par on our home course.  That is a great feat since our course was under water a week ago.  The fairways are not good and there is now a lot of standing water and GUR.  The next golfer was 5 shots behind and she is the #1 for a traditionally state ranked team.  Unfortunately, the rest of my team didn't do so well.  We play tomorrow again. It will be a major chore.  These mosquitoes are gigantic.  I have welts all over me and I sprayed a couple of times.  My #2 shot a 51 and looks like she has hives.  Her mosquito repellent can was  empty and I didn't know it until she was on hole #5.  She said that she was playing in a cloud of mosquitoes.  Tonight, I had my wife go buy new Deep Woods Off for every player.  We will put a can in each player's bag.  I've never seen anything like this but the corn fields around the course are all still under water.  Some Notes: My golfers have a hard time learning how to line up their shots.  We work on various things but it doesn't sink in for some time. My players have swings that are too long.  Most look like John Daley and so, I have to help them control that back swing better.  We spend a lot of time working on putting and we putted really well tonight.  The problem is, we didn't get off the tee box in good fashion due to alignment.  We have trouble everywhere and our course is very tight.  My softball player turned golfer as a favor to me will play as #4 tomorrow.  She has played golf for exactly 2 weeks now.  We have trees everywhere.  I have to teach all of my players how to hit stingers low and long.  I have three players that can do so and draw the ball doing it.  We shot a 205 as a team tonight.  That isn't very good.  Tomorrow, we have to do a lot better.  (We still beat a couple of teams since the conditions were so bad.  It was also 100+ heat index)
    • Yeah, the ex-marshal did go a bit overboard. Not sure if he would have really pulled the trigger or not, though. One thing for sure, the thief will think twice before attempting to steal club again. In fact, anyone reading the article might give it a second thought.   That's kind of true.
    • I apologize guys....heres the video
    • I just can't narrow it down to one or two items... Stihl MS 180 chainsaw - 12 years of heavy use and it simply won't die. Even dropped an ash tree on it years ago. I have a larger Stihl but prefer to use the little fella. It may be starting to lose compression. If so, I'll buy the same model as a replacement. Carvin solid body electric. Love this guitar. I also have a Guild Starfire IV Semi-hollow body electric which is a beautiful instrument. I play the Carvin a lot more. iMac (purchased in 2007). I'd love to get a new Mac Mini, but this thing is still running strong going on 10 years - even if 60 fps, 1080 video doesn't run very well on it. Firearms and reloading equipment. All of it. Have to get back into reloading. 2004 Silverado 1500. The Northern Winters have taken a toll on her. Stays parked a lot now but is still my all-time favorite vehicle.   
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

  • Blog Entries