• Announcements

    • iacas

      Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

      No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
Pete

Putting without reading the green

Recommended Posts

I played a round last weekend and the only two putts over 2-3 feet that I made, were without traditionally reading the green from behind the ball crouched down. I just walked up to the ball and putting instinctively.

Hmm, have I stumbled on the secret to being a better putter? Or is it just luck?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Originally Posted by Pete

I played a round last weekend and the only two putts over 2-3 feet that I made, were without traditionally reading the green from behind the ball crouched down. I just walked up to the ball and putting instinctively.

Hmm, have I stumbled on the secret to being a better putter? Or is it just luck?

Most of this could have to do with NOT over-thinking. You should still get "somewhat" of a read, but when you approach the ball try and relax and not stand over the top of the ball for too long letting your mind overtake your technique. Stay loose and let your instincts get you aligned. You have to trust the decision you made when you read the green in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't matter, your reading the green no matter what you do, why, because your eyes take snap shots, and your brain processes the information. So as your walking up the green, your already taking in information and reading the green, its impossible not to. So even though you say your not reading the green, you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tend to agree that it was probably just luck. I wonder if anyone putts like this all the time?

I will try it for all 18 greens in this weekend's comp and let you know how I get on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This guy reads putts, but he does it standing up and only for about 5-10 seconds, then he goes and hits the putt. Its just a glance, then he putts. He's a pretty good putter. Its the closest i have seen to someone who just goes up and putts the ball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by saevel25

This guy reads putts, but he does it standing up and only for about 5-10 seconds, then he goes and hits the putt. Its just a glance, then he putts. He's a pretty good putter. Its the closest i have seen to someone who just goes up and putts the ball

He is probably just tryin to see the putt go in in his mind and then letting everything else just happen. I guess that would work on a straight forward read but I've seen some greens that will have you completely misread the putt if you don't look at it from both sides of the hole.  I have friends that try and complain when I read the putt from both sides of the hole and I just ingore them because the break almost never looks as severe from side that the ball is on but it becomes evident when looking at the putt from the cup back to the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by saevel25

This guy reads putts, but he does it standing up and only for about 5-10 seconds, then he goes and hits the putt. Its just a glance, then he putts. He's a pretty good putter. Its the closest i have seen to someone who just goes up and putts the ball

Who is 'this guy'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tend to agree that it was probably just luck. I wonder if anyone putts like this all the time? I will try it for all 18 greens in this weekend's comp and let you know how I get on.

I putt without crouching or "traditionally reading the green" as you said in the OP, but I do read the greens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just someone i play in a golf league with. He's your classic speed golfer (not the running type), but he will eye ball distance for every club, pick his club and hit. If you turn your back to him, the ball is in the air. He's really a total feel player. Its the same with him on putting. He never kneels down to read a putt. He just marks it, cleans the ball, relaces the ball, then when its his turn he putts. I never seen him once sit behind the ball and read a putt. He only glances down the line from a standing position. I know he doesn't take long to read the putt because, i've seen him be the first one to putt, and he'll just walk up behind the ball, take a glance, then he putts.

He's a pretty good golfer, he shoots from high single digit to mid teens for 18 holes. Its really amazing to watch :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Luck.  Or just those particular putts had a super obvious line.  But as others have noted above, I bet some of the reason you feel good about it is it minimizes any chance to get stuck in your head and over think.  And since saevel said you generally play very fast and by feel, I'd guess you rely on that quick trigger to just flow naturally and let your instincts take over on the course.  I do a pretty standard reading procedure, but I've also found that once I know what point I want to aim for, I putt best if I work quickly from there, a little flow pendulum action to get the feel for how I want to stroke the putt, step up, look at my aim point once, quickly, look back at the ball and just put it where I want it.  If I sit over the ball, looking back at the target a few times, think about mechanics or obsess over distance or worry whether my line is right or anything like that, I putt much much worse.  I'd guess you could get the same nice feeling results still actually reading the green but then once you have an aim point do the same non-chalant, fast set up and immediate stroke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I rarely crouch down behind it anymore.  I use the AimPoint midpoint read with my feet, so I know what the break will be.  I will stand behind and find my target while others are putting, then just walk up, line up and putt.  Perhaps you are very familiar with the greens and have a good idea of the break before putting.

I also have arthritis in my knees, so crouching isn't that much fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I rarely crouch down behind it anymore.  I use the AimPoint midpoint read with my feet, so I know what the break will be.  I will stand behind and find my target while others are putting, then just walk up, line up and putt.  Perhaps you are very familiar with the greens and have a good idea of the break before putting.

I also have arthritis in my knees, so crouching isn't that much fun.

I have heard so much about this AimPoint technique. I am VERY curious as to what it is. I have not the slightest clue but others have said that it will totally change your outlook on putting and make even the worst of putters understand. I guess you could say my cap is 75% because of poor putting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by JasonK88S

I have heard so much about this AimPoint technique. I am VERY curious as to what it is. I have not the slightest clue but others have said that it will totally change your outlook on putting and make even the worst of putters understand. I guess you could say my cap is 75% because of poor putting.

It will help you learn how to read greens better and be more confident in your putt.  Without Aimpoint, I'm just guessing where to aim, and with Aimpoint I now have a number in my head.  I 'know' that it breaks 14" to the left so there's a level of confidence gained by that.

However, when you miss putts because you can't hit your line very well or can't judge speed very well, Aimpoint isn't going to help you with that part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

It will help you learn how to read greens better and be more confident in your putt.  Without Aimpoint, I'm just guessing where to aim, and with Aimpoint I now have a number in my head.  I 'know' that it breaks 14" to the left so there's a level of confidence gained by that.

However, when you miss putts because you can't hit your line very well or can't judge speed very well, Aimpoint isn't going to help you with that part.

Understood. I think I need to give this some thought. I will look into it, thanks a lot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do that a lot (I also 3 putt a lot).  I figure A.  I'm not very good at reading greens and B.  I'm not very good at striking putts . .  So I figure - why waste all that time lining up a putt when I'll probably pick the wrong line and then miss it anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    Frogger Golf
    PitchFix USA
  • Posts

    • You put on quite a show the final two days.  Fun to watch man.  You found your long game and were putting to one of those oversized holes I think!    I just wish my long game would have been settled enough to give you a closer match.  I had a blast, learned a lot and enjoyed competitive golf for once.   It was great to play with you and learn from you @NCGolfer.  I truly enjoyed our pairings.  Hopefully I was not too much of a distraction out there with my long game struggles.    Thanks for being a good sport about it if anyway.   I really enjoyed playing with @bkuehn1952 as well.  I had a very tough first nine out there but Brian kept things positive and we battled through it.  We played much more competitively the second time out as shown in Drew's scorecard post.  We found a way to make our abilities work together, and it was a lot of fun!  I enjoyed meeting everyone else and a lot of the guys I have not had a chance to yet.  I want to mention @jsgolfer who was my roommate and our MVP.  I wish I was able to see Jerry play more.  What I did see was a treat to watch.  He is also one of the most kind and considerate people I have met in a long time.  A true class act.   Yellow ball or white ball I take responsibility for my shots out there no matter how much weight was on each individual one.  I had a 10' putt or so for a half point on the front Saturday that I lipped out after I thought I put a great stroke on it.  I should have put that one in.  I sure hit some bad ones off the tee and I am just thankful that I did not cost my team the cup.   Finally I just wanted to say one more time, thank you to @iacas and @mvmac.  I know that this was a lot of work for you organizing and making this a truly special experience for us all.  I hope everyone who was there could see how much work this must have been for them and how it was done to give an incredible experience to the participants.  Thank you guys so much!  
    • Finally again a (really) good tournament from Joost. Battling for victory until the final hole, coming up one shot short against Garcia to get a second place. Which raises him right back into the top 100 of the OWGR. Hopefully a good finish of the season in The Final Series, good points and money to earn there.
    • My answer depends on what you mean by "manage on the course."   I have a bag full of swing thoughts, because I have made the same mistakes so many times and corrected things so many times.  It's like a bag full of clubs.  I carry them around with me but I only use one at most when I'm addressing my shot.  But which one it is depends on what happened on the last shot or sometime in the recent past.  Then there are the times I have no swing thought at all, but hit a great shot.  But definitely I cannot have more than one swing thought in my head when I'm about to hit a shot. 
    • I voted 4 and 0, not based on the definitions you provided,  but based on your vote (9 and 1), and how I would compare my game to yours.   I think if you hit a solid shot 9 out of 10 times, then I should say I hit that kind of shot 4 out of 10 times.   I believe you would define "sweet spot" as much much smaller and more elusive than I would, but we have to agree on a definition, so taking your definition, which is really, "a spot you hit 1 out of 10 times," then I should say less than that.  So I said 0. 
    • I've been trying to get all the stuff J.C. talks about, but it's' tough. On a more serious note, I try to limit it to one or two.
  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Covert
      Covert
      (74 years old)
    2. opie
      opie
      (40 years old)
    3. Robert Diddings
      Robert Diddings
      (33 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon