IGNORED

Driving!!!

Woky1989
Note: This thread is 4148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My handicap is 18.. Trying to get it lower and lower by the day.. My driver has a 12 degree loft on it.. (Pingk15) anybody suggest I should get a driver with less loft?? Plus my drives go a little right!?

Impossible to give you any reliable feedback. Driver loft is not an exact science. It is very personal and depends on many factors. Find you a local fitter with a launch monitor and see what it says. There are some numbers that I'm sure someone could throw out that are optimal for the launch conditions but different people achieve those results with different equipment.

Welcome to the wonderful world of golf. From my experience, most golfers with handicaps like ours, live their lives on the "right" side of the fairway. And when you say your drives "go a little right" what do you mean? Are they slicing right? Are they pushed right? Are you just simply aimed right?

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

To little information, If your concerned about your driver specs, go get fitted for a driver

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was a low ball hitter and a 12 degree helped me get it up (you know, the ball). As I have gotten better I have switched to a 10.5 degree Cobra S2 with great results. But as suggested above you should go to fitter and see what will work best for you. I'm not sure the loft helps or hurts with a slice though.

The secret to the golf swing is really quite simple.   All you really need to know about the golf swing is explained in this brief 1 minute clip:

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

True more loft equals less slicing because there will be more backspin than side spin. This is why its hard to curve a wedge. But this is more important for slower swing speeds that can't get enough backspin to keep the ball in the air to maximize distance. This rule of thumb does not work for higher swing speeds. At higher swing speeds, you need to be careful of how the clubhead relates to your swing. Some golfers can hit a shallower swing (less spin), or a more descending blow (higher spin). In which case, the degrees of loft can vary greatly. Some pro's play a golf club as low as 4-5 degrees, and some others play as high as 10-11 degrees of loft.

But for slow swing speeds, i would shift this range up, 9-13 degrees of loft would be a good range to select from for slower swing speeds.

For me, i swing fast, so i play a 8.75 degree driver (9.5 adjusted downward). This adjustment has helped me be able to shape the ball a bit better, and help with the wind.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Youd probably be better off spending money on lessons instead of getting a different driver.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Spend the money on good lessons before spending it on another driver.  A slice is the result of a swing fault (face open to the path at impact).  Fix that, and you will fix your slice.

• Upvote 1

As previously noted, the loft is probably fine (depending on your swing speed).  Without any other information, I would guess your slice is due to opening the club face during the down swing.  +1 on the coaching/lessons.  It really helps to have someone with a sharp eye watching you and provinding feedback.  Best of luck.  Let us know how you do.

• Administrator

If the ball starts left or towards the target, the problem is not your clubface per se - it's that your swing path is too far to the left, making the ball curve right.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Pulling the ball: Ball starts left of target line and cuts back right, or ball starts left and stays left

Pushing the ball: Ball starts right of target line and draws backs left, or ball starts right and stays right

You can hit a duck hook that starts left and goes left, with an inside path, if your face is extremely closed

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 4148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!