Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HarryVardon09

Personal problem/question to the serious tournament golfers.

11 posts in this topic

This is an excellent golf forum and the best in my opinion... Does anybody here play in their state's amateur tournaments? Or big tournaments in general?

I don't come to you with a swing problem... I have a mental problem.

I play my home course all the time and have developed a trustworthy enough game to shoot Par every time I play. On good days I go low, on bad days I'll shoot a few over. But the problem is when I go to try to qualify for things like the State-Am.

For example last year in our club championship I shot 71-69 and lost by a shot. I then go to a club 40 miles up the road to try to qualify for the State Am and drop a slick 82 that day...

I do this all the time. I try to prepare, I have a very calm game... I'm in control of my emotions... I just hit bad shots at the worst time. It just doesn't feel like I can overcome the hump and qualify or just shoot a reasonable score at a course away from home.

Any help would be great!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I am not a tournament golfer, but in your OP you mention you "play your home course all the time." I'd suggest playing as many new courses as you can, and if possible, playing the state-am course before the tournament to get an idea of the layout before teeing it up for real.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by HarryVardon09

This is an excellent golf forum and the best in my opinion... Does anybody here play in their state's amateur tournaments? Or big tournaments in general?

I don't come to you with a swing problem... I have a mental problem.

I play my home course all the time and have developed a trustworthy enough game to shoot Par every time I play. On good days I go low, on bad days I'll shoot a few over. But the problem is when I go to try to qualify for things like the State-Am.

For example last year in our club championship I shot 71-69 and lost by a shot. I then go to a club 40 miles up the road to try to qualify for the State Am and drop a slick 82 that day...

I do this all the time. I try to prepare, I have a very calm game... I'm in control of my emotions... I just hit bad shots at the worst time. It just doesn't feel like I can overcome the hump and qualify or just shoot a reasonable score at a course away from home.

Any help would be great!

come down under and lets play for $100 a hole, match play......when you get sick of handing over the $$...you might get your mental fortitude into gear......and if that dont work....you weren't made for it.......Simple.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I am not a tournament golfer, but in your OP you mention you "play your home course all the time." I'd suggest playing as many new courses as you can, and if possible, playing the state-am course before the tournament to get an idea of the layout before teeing it up for real.

This -

I've heard a similar story - guys do well on their home course, have a low hc, and suck on other courses. Get out of your comfort zone.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by notsohard

come down under and lets play for $100 a hole, match play......when you get sick of handing over the $$...you might get your mental fortitude into gear......and if that dont work....you weren't made for it.......Simple.

You could be less of an ass when someone is asking for help. Besides, you're wrong, people can learn to overcome the mental block of golf.

But like was said before, you have to play other courses to get a feel for playing a course you don't know. Get used to playing shots you don't use on your home course, playing shots that aren't in an environment you're used to seeing. Play golf in an uncomfortable area until it doesn't matter where you are... all that matters is picking the shot and committing to it. Then it doesn't matter where you are.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I am not a tournament golfer, but in your OP you mention you "play your home course all the time." I'd suggest playing as many new courses as you can, and if possible, playing the state-am course before the tournament to get an idea of the layout before teeing it up for real.

Great advice! When you play the tournament course ahead of time - more than once should be a priority, make sure to take notes about each hole, where you can miss, what you have to avoid etc. Also consider when you hit bad shots and whether or not there may be another way to play those particular shots if there is a pattern.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where in the southern U.S. do you live?  You could check out something like the "Golfweek Amateur Tour" to find some good tournaments to play that will help you get used to playing in tournaments on different courses.

Amateur Golf Tour

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JetFan hit the nail on the head.  Get to know the courses where the tournaments are being played.  You are a good player and being familiar with the course will really help.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm from Alabama... Thanks for the help guys, I would like to add to that and say that the biggest difference between tournament play at my course and tournament play elsewhere is the short game. I work at my course and I know the greens like the back of my hand. Getting up and down is usually a given, same with making a certain amount of Putts... When I go somewhere else my confidence around the greens blows up and I rarely make any birdies. It's always a struggle to score well when I break down in the scoring area.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by HarryVardon09

I'm from Alabama...

If you live near Birmingham, there are 13 events that the regional Golfweek tour are putting on in that area.

Also, I would guess that  the Alabama golf association has lots of tournaments too.  You'll have to play tournament golf to get better at tournament golf.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by HarryVardon09

I'm from Alabama...

Thanks for the help guys, I would like to add to that and say that the biggest difference between tournament play at my course and tournament play elsewhere is the short game.

I work at my course and I know the greens like the back of my hand. Getting up and down is usually a given, same with making a certain amount of Putts... When I go somewhere else my confidence around the greens blows up and I rarely make any birdies. It's always a struggle to score well when I break down in the scoring area.

Aimpoint Class ...

And what gwlee said.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • I agree there may be repercussions from using force to restrain a criminal but I believe as long as the force was used to only restrain the individual and no additional bodily harm was done the courts would be lenient in their ruling and most likely no charges would result in most jurisdictions.   The alternative is the courts send a message to all victims of crimes that they are helpless and must solely depend on the police to capture criminals even when they are face to face with them.    
    • https://www.gamegolf.com/player/bweiss711/round/1137850 A couple of firsts in this round.  It was my first round using the GG tags, and it was also my first round ever under 100.  If you want to see what 18 holes looks like when you have no clue where the ball is going off the tee and have no short game at all to speak of.... check out this round!
    • I think the point is, if the victim of a non-violent theft decides to use violence against the thief well after the crime was committed, he opens himself up to all kinds of trouble. Obviously it's different if someone gets jumped or car-jacked and the criminal is the first one to threaten or use violence. I'm not sure how pepper spray is classified in terms of being a weapon or not but I imagine using it could legally be considered assault in a situation like this.  
    • Well, I did it!  Been taking hacks at golf courses for 20 years, started actually practicing 7 weeks ago, and I finally mother-effing broke 100 yesterday.  Shot 96 at a course I had only played one time before about 8 years ago. This was easily the most consistent I've ever hit the ball into the greens (8 GIRs) and my driving was as good as it has been all season.  The biggest thing with the driver was deciding to stop trying to be perfect on the tee.  Meaning, I wasn't concerning myself with how I thought I should be ideally hitting the club, instead, I just hit it the way I naturally hit it right now, played the "power fade" aimed out over the left side of the fairway, and mostly kept it in play.  I was still inconsistent off the tee with a few pop ups and pulled shots, but for the most part, I stayed out of trouble. The even better news is that I shot 96 and my short game was terrible. I had a couple duffs in sand traps and from the rough around the greens.  Plus, of my 8 GIRs, I 3-putted 5 of them and it wasn't always the lag putt that was the problem.  I missed a few 3 footers that you just can't miss.  So, I've still got plenty of strokes to remove from my score once I actually start to work on shots around the green.  To this point, all of my practice has focused full swings with the irons and driver.  So, needless to say, I'm really excited about this.  I think i'm just going to play the rest of the season with the same practice focus.  Might be time to start a "member swing" thread for my driver.  And in the off-season, the focus will shift to the short game. Unfortunately, it might be a few weeks before I'm able to get out for 18 again, but I can't wait to get out there and try to do this again.
    • The incident in the OP doesn't sway my opinion on gun control one way or the other. Isolated incident in which some angry, old white dude should lose his right to carry indefinitely, but nothing that makes me believe that every gun carrier needs to be affected or restricted due to this incident. The John Wayne comments from some of y'all however, do make me think that gun laws need to be seriously revisited. The fact that some of you...ahem...more extreme individuals are actually permitted to carry is frightening indeed. And before there is an uproar, let me be clear that I have no issue with most of you who carry as your comments seemed to be well balanced and rational. Some others...not so much. It's seems pretty obvious to me that your right to bear arms should be dependant upon on your ability to not lose your shit when you're pissed off.  
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. kennysunstonelinks
      kennysunstonelinks
      (54 years old)
    2. lastings
      lastings
      (35 years old)
  • Blog Entries