IGNORED

Why do I keep topping my hybrids?

Artimas
Note: This thread is 3757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A few years ago I began playing recreational golf and bought Callaway Diablo Edge irons. The pro shop recommended that I get 4 and 5 hybrids instead of true irons. I never had hit hybrids before but had read they were forgiving and bought them. I have never been able to hit them well. I seem to top them all the time. I occasionally hit them off the tee and then can make good contact. I've tried to change my stance, ball position, etc., without success.

I'm playing a lot more over the past year, and I'm not crazy about the Diablos, but I really don't want to buy new clubs at this point. I'd rather be able to hit those 4 and 5 hybrids, and get new clubs after I improve overall a bit more.

Any thights appreciated.

Thanks!

Tough to say for sure without seeing your swing, but my guess would be that you're trying to hit them with a sweeping stroke, similar to what you use with a fairway wood.  With a hybrid, even though they look more like a fairway wood, you should use the same type of swing that you use with your irons.....a descending swing, hitting down on the ball.  It doesn't even hurt to try to take a little bit of a divot.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

Tough to say for sure without seeing your swing, but my guess would be that you're trying to hit them with a sweeping stroke, similar to what you use with a fairway wood.  With a hybrid, even though they look more like a fairway wood, you should use the same type of swing that you use with your irons.....a descending swing, hitting down on the ball.  It doesn't even hurt to try to take a little bit of a divot.

This.........

I take the same size divots with my hybrids as I do with my irons now, but I used to have the same problem as the OP before I forced myself to hit down on them.  Now I prefer hitting hybrids to fairway woods.

Agree with all of the above. HIT down and THROUGH. You should definitely be looking to take a divot, not a big divot but you should be able to clearly see where the club contacted the ground after (hopefully) the ball. My guess is your subconsciously trying to scoop it right now. Smack that dumb little ball into the dirt, you'll see it jump up and fly down the fairway rubbing its ass the whole way!! You'll know when you did it right by the feel and sound of the contact. Hybrids can be tough to figure out for some people (I used to top them 99% of the time) but they absolutely rock once you figure it out.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a fellow high handicapper, I find that I top my hybrids when I overswing. It's a mental thing with me- I'm hitting my hybrid because I'm a long way out, and something in my tiny little golf brain tells me that I have to HIT IT to get it there, and I swing hard and pull up, which leads to a top. When I slow down, swing through it,  and let the club do the work, the ball just flies off of the club face.

Originally Posted by Perfect Slicer

As a fellow high handicapper, I find that I top my hybrids when I overswing. It's a mental thing with me- I'm hitting my hybrid because I'm a long way out, and something in my tiny little golf brain tells me that I have to HIT IT to get it there, and I swing hard and pull up, which leads to a top. When I slow down, swing through it,  and let the club do the work, the ball just flies off of the club face.

That's the rule for all your clubs, that is why you have 14 of them.

You're probably hitting the top of the golf ball.  to fix this problem, I recommend you hit the golf ball in the center of the club-face.

I hope this helps......

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've been hitting down on these clubs, but perhaps I've not, subconsciously.

I'll pay more attention and see what happens, although our weather has turned bad and I'll be "golfless" for at least a week or 2.

Thanks to all.

Originally Posted by Artimas

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've been hitting down on these clubs, but perhaps I've not, subconsciously.

I'll pay more attention and see what happens, although our weather has turned bad and I'll be "golfless" for at least a week or 2.

Thanks to all.

Buckeye and bubble were especially helpful...

Put the ball back in your stance, remember the club is more of an iron than a wood. Keep your hands in front of the head on impact. Keep your thumbs on the arrows on the grip. The clubs have a slight offset and this keeps you from closing the face too much.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

I disagree with the advice to put it back in your stance.  I wouldn't dream of giving advice based on my own golf game, however, I had the exact same problem with topping hybrids.  My teaching pro told me to hit it off my front foot, i.e., forward in the stance.   Agree with everything the others said about using an "iron swing" and hitting down.  I don't take a divot necessarily, but you definitely have to compress the ball.

In any event, I'll repeat that I am only telling you what my teacher told me but it has worked completely.  I now feel pretty confident with all three of my hybrids (3, 4 and 5) and get some of my best shots every round with them.

The only downside I've found is that on a long par 3, for example, the ball flight can tend to result in hitting the green and skidding off the back because it just doesn't have the arc.  I'd love to be one of those guys who can hit an 8 iron 200 but for me that's the 3 hybrid and it's hard sometimes to keep it on the green because of the lower trajectory ball flight.

Quote:
I never had hit hybrids before but had read they were forgiving and bought them. I have never been able to hit them well. I seem to top them all the time. I occasionally hit them off the tee and then can make good contact. I've tried to change my stance, ball position, etc., without success.

Solidarity, brother...

I can fully empathize with this problem.

But I think I've found the solution (at least a solution that works for me)....

Remove hybrid from bag. Photograph it and place it on ebay.

Return to hitting 5 wood and long irons off the deck and have a happier golfing experience.

Good luck...

Originally Posted by 1484

I disagree with the advice to put it back in your stance.  I wouldn't dream of giving advice based on my own golf game, however, I had the exact same problem with topping hybrids.  My teaching pro told me to hit it off my front foot, i.e., forward in the stance.   Agree with everything the others said about using an "iron swing" and hitting down.  I don't take a divot necessarily, but you definitely have to compress the ball.

In any event, I'll repeat that I am only telling you what my teacher told me but it has worked completely.  I now feel pretty confident with all three of my hybrids (3, 4 and 5) and get some of my best shots every round with them.

The only downside I've found is that on a long par 3, for example, the ball flight can tend to result in hitting the green and skidding off the back because it just doesn't have the arc.  I'd love to be one of those guys who can hit an 8 iron 200 but for me that's the 3 hybrid and it's hard sometimes to keep it on the green because of the lower trajectory ball flight.

hybrids should actually fly a little higher than its equal iron due to a little bit lower CoG.  If you still get a low ballflight you could always try a different shaft to try and raise your flight some.

I have no problem with hybrids skidding but I naturally hit a high ball, anyway.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Paradox

hybrids should actually fly a little higher than its equal iron due to a little bit lower CoG.  If you still get a low ballflight you could always try a different shaft to try and raise your flight some.

I have no problem with hybrids skidding but I naturally hit a high ball, anyway.

I think in this case it's the jockey and not the horse.  You're just a much better golfer Mr. 8.8!

If you're trying to hit a hybrid off your front foot, you're pretty much defeating the purpose of a hybrid.  That's like hitting a fairway wood.

Put it center/just forward of center and swing like an iron.  The ball will launch higher than the 3/4 iron, which is why I play hybrids instead of the irons.  The lower CoG really helps get the ball up in the air.

Well, I think I should have said put the ball in the middle of your stance not on the inside of the front foot like a driver or fairway wood.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Note: This thread is 3757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!