IGNORED

My Swing (cipher)

cipher

• Administrator
Pretty good right here.  When you say "hips need some work", do you want them more open?  I would suggest looking at the right foot first.  To me it's flared out too much, scale it back to 20-25 degrees and it should make that piece easier.

I agree about the foot, and yes, he was staying closed too long with a saggy left knee that never really extended, so he now feels like he's snapping up and open to help control his overtaking rates and path/face.

Pivot stalled in follow through.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree about the foot, and yes, he was staying closed too long with a saggy left knee that never really extended, so he now feels like he's snapping up and open to help control his overtaking rates and path/face.

Pivot stalled in follow through.

Oh, so more parametric acceleration? ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Oh, so more parametric acceleration?

No idea what that is, but all I know is I need MORE ACCELERATION! ;-)

Nate

:tmade:(10.5) :pxg:(4W/7W) MIURA(3-PW) :mizuno:(50/54/60) 

Went to the range this morning,  an outdoor one.  It was cold, 17 degrees, although the stalls are "heated"...somewhat.  Worked on the back foot and the hips. I really thought the results were pretty good with that little change. Start lines were better with the irons.

I was also working on some driver alignments. Hit probably 50 balls with the driver alone. I keep thinking that opening the feet up will help me hit that cut but for whatever reason it is just not working.  I hit more pulls and miss left more often that way, which is what I am trying not to do. When I went back to more of a straight alignment to my target with the hips bumped and maybe the right foot back just a touch, and made my normal swing, I had the best results. I was shocked at the distance I was getting with this setup.  I am guessing the 250 range sign was not accurate, because it does not make sense otherwise for how cold it was.  At any rate, I forgot my camera so I had to use my cell phone. The driver really shows the issues into the exit with the club rolling over that I have. I have to keep in mind how cold it was though and that the body was just not wanting to cooperate very well.  Overall I have not been this excited about golf in a long time.  Can't wait for this season to come around, and see the results of all the hard work.

Nate

Looking good though!!  Are you working more on your club face control more than anything else.. I mean I'm assuming now you are only really just tinkering with very small details to try and get you over that hump and eliminate those 2 or 3 unrecoverable mistakes right?  The smaller the "cone" and with better starting lines I think you will hopefully get to your 5 year goal sooner than you think!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Looking good though!!  Are you working more on your club face control more than anything else.. I mean I'm assuming now you are only really just tinkering with very small details to try and get you over that hump and eliminate those 2 or 3 unrecoverable mistakes right?  The smaller the "cone" and with better starting lines I think you will hopefully get to your 5 year goal sooner than you think!

Exactly, I am working on finding keys 4 and 5.  Or at least being more consistent with them in the long clubs.  That is where I have the most trouble.

I am pretty much at the point where 6 iron down I am pretty confident in the results, and up from there things are still a bit sketchy except for maybe my fairway woods.  I have always beed a decent sweeper of fairway woods and can play a pretty consistent little cut with those.  Long irons and Driver though can be rough at times still.

Thanks BTW but I think my five year goal has been a bit ambitious.  We will see...

Nate

Went to the range this morning,  an outdoor one.  It was cold, 17 degrees, although the stalls are "heated"...somewhat.  Worked on the back foot and the hips. I really thought the results were pretty good with that little change. Start lines were better with the irons.   I was also working on some driver alignments. Hit probably 50 balls with the driver alone. I keep thinking that opening the feet up will help me hit that cut but for whatever reason it is just not working.  I hit more pulls and miss left more often that way, which is what I am trying not to do. When I went back to more of a straight alignment to my target with the hips bumped and maybe the right foot back just a touch, and made my normal swing, I had the best results. I was shocked at the distance I was getting with this setup.  I am guessing the 250 range sign was not accurate, because it does not make sense otherwise for how cold it was.  At any rate, I forgot my camera so I had to use my cell phone. The driver really shows the issues into the exit with the club rolling over that I have. I have to keep in mind how cold it was though and that the body was just not wanting to cooperate very well.  Overall I have not been this excited about golf in a long time.  Can't wait for this season to come around, and see the results of all the hard work.

Great work ... Silhouette Cipher looking good!! So how long until your season officially starts?

Great work ... Silhouette Cipher looking good!! So how long until your season officially starts?

Probably April.... :(

Nate

Thanks BTW but I think my five year goal has been a bit ambitious.  We will see...

"Operation" thread in your future? :-P

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Probably April.... :(

And how much is that simulator per round?? I feel like I'd need something like that over the course of a long golf free winter. [quote name="mvmac" url="/t/65114/my-swing-cipher/390#post_946102"] "Operation" thread in your future? :-P [/quote]lol ... He could take over kyles!

"Operation" thread in your future? :-P

This is that thread. :). But no I won't be starting any "operation" threads. If I get there I might say how I did it and how much work it actually took. That is a big if though. I pretty much keep the details of my goals private though. [quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/65114/my-swing-cipher/390#post_946107"] And how much is that simulator per round?? I feel like I'd need something like that over the course of a long golf free winter. lol ... He could take over kyles![/quote] About $30 and hour. You can play 18 as a single in that time. Two hours for two guys. And no I won't be taking over that thread, however my goals are slightly more realistic. ;)

Nate

This is that thread. :). But no I won't be starting any "operation" threads. If I get there I might say how I did it and how much work it actually took. That is a big if though. I pretty much keep the details of my goals private though. About $30 and hour. You can play 18 as a single in that time. Two hours for two guys. And no I won't be taking over that thread, however my goals are slightly more realistic. ;)

Yeah, I was joking. Fwiw, I think the same as you ... Our swing threads ARE our "operation" threads. Just without the pomp and circumstance of the bold unreachable goals. I was surprised when he started it and didn't just keep it all together in the swing thread. ------------ So ... Any plans on trying another tournament this season???

Yeah, I was joking. Fwiw, I think the same as you ... Our swing threads ARE our "operation" threads. Just without the pomp and circumstance of the bold unreachable goals. I was surprised when he started it and didn't just keep it all together in the swing thread.

So ... Any plans on trying another tournament this season???

I have a thread I have been wanting to start called, "I will become a tour pro within' a year and if by some strange reason I don't make it can I be your caddy?" ;-)

In all seriousness my little five year goal was something I thought all along was probably unattainable.  But it was something to motivate and get me to work hard at it.  I got pretty excited the first year making the big jump, and then it has been tough sledding since then.  Year 3 which was last year, I only improved .7 Handicap points.  It was kind of disappointing, but I was constantly adjusting to something new.  My swing changed big time and there was always some adjustment to make when playing with the change, as I am sure you are well aware.   This is the year that will tell me if my goal is reachable or not.  I think I have the ability(maybe), just not sure about if it is enough ability for the time I have to commit.

As far as tournaments go, yes I plan to play in a couple.  I won't be talking about which ones or when though leading up to it. ;-) I don't want to set expectations.  I just want to be able to handle the stress and pressure I put on my self about it.  I think the best way to do that is just to keep trying and to try everything I can not to expect any certain result or care what happens.  Just do my best.  Good luck this year in your tournaments as well!  Hopefully you have a lot fun with it, and maybe go low a time or two.  And hopefully I can make it out to one of those SoCal outings later this year and get some golf in with you guys!  Plus I think you guys might need me to head up security for these things... :-D

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

I was bored this morning so I decided to take a look at my pitching motion...in slow motion.  I have a hard time quieting the lower body going back, but pretty smooth overall.

I have been working a bit in the meantime on a few things with the setup to improve the hips in the downswing and key #4 as well.   Hopefully I can get to a range next week and improve on this session:

Nate

cipher......3 questions...1-when you want your weight forward on a chip ,what do you do....2-is that first swing at the range a knock down shot?....3-do you think one piece on the full swing  takeaway?...thanks.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

cipher......3 questions...1-when you want your weight forward on a chip ,what do you do....2-is that first swing at the range a knock down shot?....3-do you think one piece on the full swing  takeaway?...thanks.

1. I don't chip...generally.

2. No, it was a partial swing to help ingrain the feel I am working on.

3. I don't think, I let the body turn the club back, arms are passive.  You can call it what you want.

Nate

• Administrator

I was bored this morning so I decided to take a look at my pitching motion...in slow motion.  I have a hard time quieting the lower body going back, but pretty smooth overall.

Could use a bit more hinge, and a bit more roll of the lead arm (more toe up earlier). Basically, almost the opposite of what you want to do in a full swing, since the goal is the opposite - expose a little bounce, let the wrist extend quickly through and after impact, etc.

But very good. Just add a little of those things. Ball should come off a tad higher, softer. Just a bit.

P.S. The "one piece" stuff seems to be @freedrop 's latest bit of "sage" advice, copied for no other reason because someone said it once.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Could use a bit more hinge, and a bit more roll of the lead arm (more toe up earlier). Basically, almost the opposite of what you want to do in a full swing, since the goal is the opposite - expose a little bounce, let the wrist extend quickly through and after impact, etc.

But very good. Just add a little of those things. Ball should come off a tad higher, softer. Just a bit.

P.S. The "one piece" stuff seems to be @freedrop's latest bit of "sage" advice, copied for no other reason because someone said it once.

Will do, thanks.  Yeah it seemed a bit to me like the arms/body were working too much taking the club back.  I did not notice the lack of roll so I will work on making those adjustments.

Nate