IGNORED

2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Masters.com Thursday Schedule.......

10:45 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Amen Corner live video coverage
11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Masters - On The Range live video coverage
11:45 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Hole Nos. 15 and 16 live video coverage
12:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Featured Group 1 live video coverage
12:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Featured Group 2 live video coverage
3:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Masters In-Depth live video coverage highlights
2:00 p.m.
Masters Radio

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Other peoples interest in golf goes beyond Tiger. We're going to get enough Tiger over the weekend without wall to wall coverage on Thursday.

Very well stated...except that this is a non-sequitur.  Having Tiger in a featured group does absolutely nothing to harm the minority of fans who want to watch somebody else.

How did the "we'll get plenty of Tiger over the weekend" work out last year?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Found it interesting to see that most of neighborhood immediately bordering the west side of the course is nearly empty when there was so many homes there not too many years ago. Looks like the billionaires at Augusta National gave the homeowners an offer they couldn't refuse. I'm interested to see if any of that land becomes part of the course in the next decade. I guess not - as it would be tragic to dramatically change the course using that land.

Per the article below, this land will likely be additional parking/storage.  It also demonstrates the secretive nature that Augusta National operates.

Augusta National reportedly buying land next to course

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Limited liability companies with ties to Augusta National Golf Club have bought about 90 acres surrounding the course, prompting speculation the club plans to expand, a newspaper reported in Sunday's editions.

The Augusta Chronicle said the companies have addresses or post office boxes correlating to Blanchard & Calhoun real estate company -- whose president, Thomas Blanchard Jr., is a National member -- or a law firm the represents the club, which plays host each year to The Masters.

Most of the land has been in neighborhoods west of Berckmans Road, across from Gates 6-10 of the golf course. Twenty-five properties from the area have been sold, and at least 28 other homeowners have been approached about selling, the paper reported.

Glenn Greenspan, Augusta National's director of communications, confirmed land has been purchased by the club and said it would be used for long-term support of the tournament, such as parking and storage.

"Anything we do wouldn't have a negative impact on the community," he told The Chronicle. "We look at it as a positive for the area."

The National swapped land with Augusta Country Club in order to added 285 yards to the course for this year's Masters, and has an option on another 9.32 acres of the country club's property.

Blanchard wouldn't comment on the purchases and said he didn't know whether Augusta National is behind the LLCs.

"If I knew, I wouldn't tell you," he said. "What's on public record is public knowledge. Beyond that, I can't help you."

Most residents in the Berckmans Road neighborhoods have lived there for many years and don't want to sell. But when the older homeowners die, their children or whoever inherits the land probably won't have the same attachment to it.

"I've said all along that they're waiting us out," said 79-year-old Elizabeth Phillips. Selling "is not what I want to do. What I want to do is stay right here. I've raised all my children here."

Charles Wildes, who has lived in the neighborhood for 37 years, hasn't been approached to sell his home but said he expects it to happen soon. Like Phillips, he doesn't want to sell.

"I feel like they ought to go ahead and tell us now, and not wait until after it affects us," he said of the club's plans.

http://savannahnow.com/stories/052002/SPTaugusta.shtml

Nobody can "force" you out of your home. If you're offered an amount that you cannot refuse, you can't possibly complain because of a deal you're agreeing to. If you don't want to sell, don't sell. Some of the old-timers from the south have a very odd outlook.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Spyder

Nobody can "force" you out of your home. If you're offered an amount that you cannot refuse, you can't possibly complain because of a deal you're agreeing to. If you don't want to sell, don't sell. Some of the old-timers from the south have a very odd outlook.

The government can. Eminent domain.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Blanchard and Calhoun is a predominant real estate company in Augusta, and Blanchard probably has enough power in the area to finagle/scheme to get whatever bank/gov't agency to get these people to accept -------kind of like JR Ewing did in the TV show Dallas.   Augusta National is like the Vatican of Golf.....and stuff happens behind the scenes are are probably aren't scrupulous.

Lyle's +2 after 5 holes. Henley's struggling too. These guys gotta capitalize on this morning start. Evidently the course is very vulnerable right now for some low scores.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

First round predictions?!? And what's the status of the chatroom?  Weekend only?  $5 admission again?

I did notice that thesandtrap.com/chat is still live. If anyone else is on, I've be on there in the afternoon.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Charl had to play a ball lefty from the wood on the first hole. Made double.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Charl had to play a ball lefty from the wood on the first hole. Made double.

Did he start with a double the year he won it or am I making stuff up?

Larry Mize old schooling it -1 through 8. Petterson broomsticking it with 3 birdies for a -2 through 6.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

1st post so go easy please.

Tiger is a deserved favourite and will be in the mix come Sunday. I have a small bet on Louis Ossthuizen, but any of Poulter, Rose and Westwood would be greatly appreciated.

Look at that potato masher that Sandy Lyle is putting with!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by Alanlinks

1st post so go easy please.

Tiger is a deserved favourite and will be in the mix come Sunday. I have a small bet on Louis Ossthuizen, but any of Poulter, Rose and Westwood would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 4017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!