IGNORED

The 2013 Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by MasterCard

Rick Martin
Note: This thread is 4057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Are you telling me that if I don't want my children listening to vulgar language (in public), I can't take them to a baseball game? Because its a "drinking event"?

Why do you think I avoid bringing my kids to weddings?  It seems like every time I try, some drunk clown in the row in front of me stands up and yells "Yeah, Joe, you marry that f$%^ing b%^&ch;!!!  Woohoo!!!"

It never fails, so I just don't take them anymore. ;)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Likely that they are saying that. Also, possible that they mean that winning takes care of everything 'on the course'. Another observation.. Unfortunate as it may seem, the statement holds true for the off the course stuff for the most part. He definitely lost some fans forever. He also has a great deal of new and old support, regardless of what he did.

Anybody else find it a little funny that NBC brought the graphic/stat right before fowlers first water ball on #16?

It read that he was double bogey free through 70 holes this week.First time in like 30 tournaments he hasnt had a double bogey or worse.Then he gets a snowman.I guess the anouncers curse is true.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Stretch

Stretch, do you have the image without the text on it?

I think we should have a caption contest with that picture. Prize to be decided upon...

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

so now NIKE wants to rub our noses in TW's success - implying that by winning, all previous indiscretions, misbehaviors will be forgotten?

Because it does. Look at Kobe. Or Ray Lewis.

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Thought TW swore to stop swearing and start behaving better on the course.

Good article by Rick Reilly about his embarassing behavior - back them (2009).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=reilly_rick&id;=4347419

Couldn't care less about his swearing then, still couldn't care less now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

How long are you going to try to shield him from the real world? Just teach him to act better than the person swearing. You can't go around trying to control how others speak.

Do you have children? Mine are very impressionable, especially if the other guy looks "cool."

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Why do you think I avoid bringing my kids to weddings?  It seems like every time I try, some drunk clown in the row in front of me stands up and yells "Yeah, Joe, you marry that f$%^ing b%^&ch;!!!  Woohoo!!!" It never fails, so I just don't take them anymore. ;)

And the ones who lose are the children. Its to bad.

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

• Administrator

Do you have children? Mine are very impressionable, especially if the other guy looks "cool."

I have a child. She knows not to swear, even if others are.

They're just words. I think sometimes people place too much importance on them. They're just words.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Funny how I've yet to hear a single mother****er (even this MB censors the language) it while watching the LPGA events (also high stress, high stakes).  Don't hear it during the national amateur events. Rarely hear it from other players on the PGA tour. But TW gets a pass.

If Ben Crane or another everyday PGA tour player were to get in the habit of throwing out a GD or MF, I'm absolutely positive that he'd be crucified more so than TW.

I have a child. She knows not to swear, even if others are. They're just words. I think sometimes people place too much importance on them. They're just words.

I'm not replying directly to Iacas, but really to the sub-topic. I have two young children, both are in a public school system. We don't use "foul language" in our house and are working hard to teach our children to not use bad language (or manners, or attitude, etc). Anyone who thinks they aren't exposed to all manner of bad things in school is naive. I personally think its much important and effective to teach our children what is inappropriate as Iwalk18 said.

Originally Posted by Blitz28179

Anybody else find it a little funny that NBC brought the graphic/stat right before fowlers first water ball on #16?

It read that he was double bogey free through 70 holes this week.First time in like 30 tournaments he hasnt had a double bogey or worse.Then he gets a snowman.I guess the anouncers curse is true.

See post #251 (link: View Post ) in this thread for an alternative explanation. :-)

And I think it was 14 tournaments, not 30.

Bill

I have a child. She knows not to swear, even if others are. They're just words. I think sometimes people place too much importance on them. They're just words.

I do try to teach my children correctly, and I believe they know not to swear, but they (my children anyway) tend to put a lot of stock into what the "older" (cool) kids say and do. Maybe its just a pet peeve of mine, but one of the benefits (to me) of moving from a position of plumbing in the field to project managing/estimating in the office, was the people I got to deal with on a daily basis (architects, engineers, and other project managers). For the most part, they have a bit more class, and use a lot less vulgarity.

-Matt-

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Re: obscenities.

When did golf lose its label as being the gentleman's game?

Got to learn self control - no throwing clubs, yelling GD-this, and MF-that, and flipping off spectators.

This isn't the NFL, NBA, MLB.

I'm guessing when they started having hundred-thousands of dollars and now million dollar purses as a professional sport.

Yes, golf should still be a gentleman's game in that we display proper adherence to the rules and integrity.  However, I do not long for the days of yesteryear when it was a "gentleman's game" meaning that only the rich, privileged aristocrats or elites played it and they wore suits/ties on the course.  It is now a million dollar sport that is played by highly competitive people (of all backgrounds and personalities) trying to make millions of dollars.  I believe, quite simply, that the stakes involved have a huge impact on the emotions that go into playing the game.

It's also a " sport that is played by highly competitive people ( of all backgrounds and personalities ) trying to" just have a good time and shoot the best score they can.  Some of them get a bit overly enthusiastic in choosing their epithets, too.  If we all took the attitude of shielding our kids from all of the bad things in life, then we probably wouldn't even want them to take an interest in golf.  Since there is another thread trying to encourage us to get kids involved in the game, it would seem that not everyone is as concerned as tuffluck and Rick Martin.

Certainly you don't deliberately put a child in a situation where the environment is going to be excessively coarse, but being overly protective isn't really good for normal development either.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It's also a " sport that is played by highly competitive people ( of all backgrounds and personalities ) trying to" just have a good time and shoot the best score they can.  Some of them get a bit overly enthusiastic in choosing their epithets, too.  If we all took the attitude of shielding our kids from all of the bad things in life, then we probably wouldn't even want them to take an interest in golf.  Since there is another thread trying to encourage us to get kids involved in the game, it would seem that not everyone is as concerned as tuffluck and Rick Martin. [COLOR=333333]Certainly you don't deliberately put a child in a situation where the environment is going to be excessively coarse, but being overly protective isn't really good for normal development either.[/COLOR]

I dont believe anyone was being overly protective. I agree that it can, at times, be worse for the child. That being said, just because I would prefer my child not to hear profanity does not mean (IMO) that I am being overly protective.

-Matt-

Re: obscenities.

When did golf lose its label as being the gentleman's game?

Got to learn self control - no throwing clubs, yelling GD-this, and MF-that, and flipping off spectators.

This isn't the NFL, NBA, MLB.

When they started putting mics on players during rounds.  You're dreaming if you think this hasn't been going on for a looooong time - way before Tiger came along.  And you're dreaming if you think that there aren't a hundred other guys out there that do the exact same thing,  But they are not constantly in camera and directional mikes..

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Maybe if YOU were a better role model they wouldn't have to look to athletes . . .

And yes I have kids and no, none of them ever made an athlete their hero or role model.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Are you telling me that if I don't want my children listening to vulgar language (in public), I can't take them to a baseball game? Because its a "drinking event"?

I'm telling you that, yes.  It is ridiculous to think you can go to a public event with tens of thousands of people and dictate the kind of language your kids will hear.

so now NIKE wants to rub our noses in TW's success - implying that by winning, all previous indiscretions, misbehaviors will be forgotten?

I'm surprised people are so damn sensitive that this ad offends them.  I swear you guys are borderline crazy.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Then put on your parenting hat and overalls and confront it instead of trying to have them go through life pretending it doesn't exist.

Funny how I've yet to hear a single mother****er (even this MB censors the language) it while watching the LPGA events (also high stress, high stakes).  Don't hear it during the national amateur events. Rarely hear it from other players on the PGA tour. But TW gets a pass.

If Ben Crane or another everyday PGA tour player were to get in the habit of throwing out a GD or MF, I'm absolutely positive that he'd be crucified more so than TW.

Then you are delusional.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 4057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!