Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Valleygolfer

Why are the Mizuno MP-33s so good?

22 posts in this topic

I have been surfing various sites about blades and although there are a ton of different ones that are loved, it seems like the MP-33 set gets on the list just a little more often. Please weigh in on this if you have some experience with them. Thanks!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Well for start Mizuno is a top name brand when it comes to forged blade irons. They are well known for the soft feel

they get in the irons. I don't think they still make the MP 33 but if i'm right this was one off the purest looking blades ever.

so if your i diehard fan of blades well these are the sticks. ( i used to play the MP32 ) with some muscle on the back.

That is more a trend now, forged bladed look with some forgiveness.

The new mp33 is the mp69

Meh. The MP 32s have always been my favorites.

IMO, the reason theyre so popular is because they are just a simple, clean classic blade that has a minimum level of badges and branding on them and, of course, they have that, "buttery soft" feel that Mizunos are known for.

My son has 3 sets of MP-33s.  Being blades you need to have a consistent swing with them, and if you do, they are so consistent in feel and trajectory.   Lofts are traditional so they will feel like they hit a little shorter, but accuracy is unmatched.  After hitting these, he could hit any iron.

Originally Posted by AJHitman

My son has 3 sets of MP-33s.  Being blades you need to have a consistent swing with them, and if you do, they are so consistent in feel and trajectory.   Lofts are traditional so they will feel like they hit a little shorter, but accuracy is unmatched.  After hitting these, he could hit any iron.

I am really excited to get them out on the range or course. I used them in a simulator and was getting some crazy distance on a few of the mid irons. I had them all bent back to stock lie and loft. Borrowed a lie board to try at the range and a bunch of club markers. I like to think I am pretty close to a consistent iron swing, a little fine tuning and probably a shaft change and I will be golden.

I like your idea. How do these compare with some of the new blades Mizuno offers? I was thinking of getting fitted for a set of Mizuno blades but I ran into so much difficulty I was thinking I might just do what you did.

My first set of blades were MP-32s. One of the best sets of clubs I ever had. I would still be playing Mizuno blades but the course I work for doesn't have an account with them anymore, and I am certainly not paying retail for them.

Originally Posted by Prodaytrader

I like your idea. How do these compare with some of the new blades Mizuno offers? I was thinking of getting fitted for a set of Mizuno blades but I ran into so much difficulty I was thinking I might just do what you did.

I hit the MP-68 3 and 7 iron well in the trackman. I didn't feel like shelling out $799.00 for them. I hear enough people say blades are blades. I figure I will have $350ish in these if I change out the shafts. My club maker friend said they are in pretty nice shape wear wise.

So I have been out practicing and these are not so hard to hit and hella accurate. Went out and lasered 160 on one of the par 5s and hit 5 balls with my seven iron. Put the first one within 12 feet, 3 others on the green and another pin high on the fringe at only 15 feet from the hole. I think it is going to be fun. The 2 iron is amazing too. Love hitting it.

I think part of their popularity is that for a blade, they were slightly longer than others from heel to toe - offering more forgiveness.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I think part of their popularity is that for a blade, they were slightly longer than others from heel to toe - offering more forgiveness.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

That and the "feel" (sound) for me is a bit closer to the Titleist camp than what I consider "typical" Mizuno "feel". Contrary to what is commonly posted I find the 33 to be one of the lesser Mizuno buttery feeling clubs.  I don't know but have always suspected that really good ball strikers might prefer that slightly firmer/crisper, feel/sound.

The MP-32 are also stupidly easy to play compared to what it looks like they might. In that respect I think to mention the 32 and 33 in the same breath is correct.  However, I think the 32 actually do have that typical Mizuno "feel", in spades, so it is easy to see why they get so much love.

I would add the 60 to the discussion of great MP irons Mizuno has produced in recent history. Doesn't matter what a club looks like only what it plays like. But I'm a teener so that has to be factored in to all of the above comments and "feel" is such and individual thing anyway.

I have 3 sets of blades, mp33, wilson staff gooseneck and hogan apex. Love the feel of the Mp33. Accuracy you can get from any irons with a consistent swing.

My MP-33 are way too hard for me to use. Maybe the PW or 9i?

However, I do like the feel of my MP-32, and they are much more manageable.

I guess I should also add that I saw someone hitting MP33, and he insisted on making himself miserable hitting a 2 iron. He hit the face pretty cleanly, but was lucky to get 120 yards with it. I don't think he hit down on it enough to compress the ball. Honestly, there is no way I could hit these clubs even left handed. I am concluding that you need to be a pro or +2 handicap to really hit this club, and enjoy it.

I guess I should also add that I saw someone hitting MP33, and he insisted on making himself miserable hitting a 2 iron. He hit the face pretty cleanly, but was lucky to get 120 yards with it. I don't think he hit down on it enough to compress the ball. Honestly, there is no way I could hit these clubs even left handed.

I am concluding that you need to be a pro or +2 handicap to really hit this club, and enjoy it.

You can't try to hit the 2, it has to be a smooth swing. I am probably 80/20 on it. 80 percent of the time it is solid. 20 percent of the time it rattles you with a 120 yarder. Toe hits are usually the painful ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I guess I should also add that I saw someone hitting MP33, and he insisted on making himself miserable hitting a 2 iron. He hit the face pretty cleanly, but was lucky to get 120 yards with it. I don't think he hit down on it enough to compress the ball. Honestly, there is no way I could hit these clubs even left handed.

I am concluding that you need to be a pro or +2 handicap to really hit this club, and enjoy it.

You can't try to hit the 2, it has to be a smooth swing. I am probably 80/20 on it. 80 percent of the time it is solid. 20 percent of the time it rattles you with a 120 yarder. Toe hits are usually the painful ones.

Yeah, MP33 is really hard to hit well. They might be only good as a collectors item for me.

I'll probably stick with my MP-32, until I get something like the i25, S55 or MP-54? The only thing I don't like about Mizuno is their minimal offering to lefties, which is why I like Ping.