IGNORED

When do heads need to be re-glued back to shaft?

Note: This thread is 4035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My 4 iron felt funny the other day so before I took another swing, I checked the head. It was loose (not lose ) so I was lucky I didn't take another swing.

Club maker experts, would you recommend that I reglue all my irons or will it usually be obvious and I can just tell when the head is about to come off? I don't know how old my clubs are, they're second hand.

Typically, how long do heads stay on, assuming your typical US NE 4 season weather change?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good question. My understanding was they were good forever provided no abnormal damage but then I lost the head off of a seemingly well maintained 7 iron. Looking forward to hearing from the club makers.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I forgot to ask.

What equipment do I need to remove and glue the head back on myself? The local golf shop charged me 10USD for one club.

If the cost to DIY makes economical sense and it's easy enough I'll learn. I don't have a problem re-gripping my own clubs, I would guess re-attaching the head shouldn't be that much more difficult. Or is it?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by nevets88

I forgot to ask.

What equipment do I need to remove and glue the head back on myself? The local golf shop charged me 10USD for one club.

If the cost to DIY makes economical sense and it's easy enough I'll learn. I don't have a problem re-gripping my own clubs, I would guess re-attaching the head shouldn't be that much more difficult. Or is it?

you will need a utility knife to cut off the old ferrule, a propane torch to heat up the glue and remove the head from the shaft.

To reassemble everything you will need some sand paper and a club head brush to clean out the old glue bits, a new ferrule, and epoxy.

The DIY tools would probably set you back around $20 and you can probably pick up everything at a golf store.  If you don't have a plumbing torch, that will set you back another $15 or so.

Be careful when applying heat.  If you have heads with emblems / weights glued into the back of the head, those are likely to come out as well.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Originally Posted by teed off

$10 for a professional repair with a warranty, sounds like a god deal to me.

+1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by teed off

$10 for a professional repair with a warranty, sounds like a god deal to me.

If you are going to do one club, its worth it to have them do it.  However, if you are going to do it often, it isn't difficult at ALL to pull clubs apart

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

What is the ferrule for, a layer between the head and shaft for protection? Plus aesthetics?

Steve

Originally Posted by nevets88

What is the ferrule for, a layer between the head and shaft for protection? Plus aesthetics?

just aesthetics, but you will think the club looks funny if it doesn't have it, so make sure you get one.  They are like $4 for a 10 pack

http://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-components/clubmaking-tools-supplies/ferrules.html

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

I was golfing with a friend of mine many years ago and the head from my 7 iron flew off during a shot. Luckily his grandpa was a club builder and he repaired it for me. He taught me how to build clubs and we soon struck up a friendship that lasted many years. The initial components I purchased were from Golfsmith. Golfsmith has a "how to" instruction booklet on beginner clubmaking that is well put together. I recommend you start with that which will also show you what tools are needed. It's a fun hobby that can easily turn into a small business.

Good Luck!

Heads should not come off but it does happen. I wouldn't think you need to start taking off and reattaching heads just because one came off. I have clubs that are 20 years old and the heads are perfectly fine. But if you want to do it for fun, have at it.

Note: This thread is 4035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!