IGNORED

Ban Belly Putters?

Note: This thread is 4168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should long putters (belly, chin, chest, etc.) be banned?

• Yes
    • No

• Administrator

Should long putters (belly, chin, chest, etc.) be banned, perhaps with a 36-inch limit to putters?

Some more opinions here: http://blogs.golf.com/golfcom/2007/0...-belly-pu.html .

My vote: yes. But I'm about 51/49 on the issue. My interest in banning them would have gone up to 80/20 or higher if Sergio had won the first major using one, because clearly he was able to do something he has been unable to do for awhile. He always had trouble releasing his putter, and Azinger called it the "Automatic Release." Reduction of skill at arguably golf's most important aspect is not right. My problem is that the putter is no longer "swung," but I don't know that you can rule based on that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted no, but only because I wouldn't ban all kinds of long putters. This may be a bit arbitrary, but I think there should be a requirement that your hands must touch when putting. This would allow belly putters, but would ban those grotesque long putters used by Bernhard Langer and others.

On a side note, does anyone know how Langer travels with his putter? It's so long I don't think it would fit in the standard travel containers. Does the putter shaft break into sections or something?

Driver: Launcher, 10.5°
Fairway: Big Bertha 2007, 15° & 18°
Hybrid: Rapture, 21° & 24°
Irons: Big Bertha 2006, 5 - PW
Wedges: Vokey, 52° & 56°Putter: White Hot XG, Rossie Ball: HX HotI'm not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they'd come up sliced. ~ Lee Trevino

Ban Them!
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

How can you ban something that is clearly not even an advantage to the players who use them? Some players find help with them, some dont. Its just like a regular putter, some can use em greatly, and some cant.

Either way you look at it, nobody is outright dominating due to the putter they use so to think there is an advantage is just an elitist golfer thinking there is only one way to play golf. I still see the regular putters winning more tournaments then belly, two handed, etc putters. So it just doesnt make any sense to me to ban any putter.
  • Upvote 1
Driver FT-3 9deg w/ Aldila NV 65-S
3wood Rescue 3 15deg
Irons R7 TP w/ Flighted Rifle 6.5
Wedges 48deg TA900, 53deg TA588, 58deg TA900
Putter 2 ball center shaftedBall NXT Tour

I voted for a ban.

If a ban isn't feasible, then a rule should be implemented that requires anyone putting with a putter longer than 36 inches to paint the club hot pink. I'm talking grip, shaft, putter head.....the whole thing. Flaming hot pink!
In the bag

909D3 8.5 Matrix Ozik XCon 7 X
Burner TP 14.5 Fujikura RE*AX SF TP 75 X
Idea Pro 20 RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour (2005) 4-PW RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour Chrome Wedges 50 and 54 RP Project X 5.5 X-Tour Vintage 60 w/ PM grind Teryllium Ten Newport 2 34" ProV1X

However i must also state that I hate the look of all putters that arent your normal kind. haha. Those two handed taller then you putters are just ugly as sin. I keep expecting somebody to pull off from thier putt and throw it at a knight like it was a spear.
Driver FT-3 9deg w/ Aldila NV 65-S
3wood Rescue 3 15deg
Irons R7 TP w/ Flighted Rifle 6.5
Wedges 48deg TA900, 53deg TA588, 58deg TA900
Putter 2 ball center shaftedBall NXT Tour

Should long putters (belly, chin, chest, etc.) be banned, perhaps with a 36-inch limit to putters?.

Nah. I just don't see why. All of the best putters, at least the one's who come to my mind, still use the conventional length. If guys who went to the belly started making all kinds of putts and dominating I'd go the other way but I just don't see it. Guys who have used it, Garcia, Vijay, Couples (before the back shut him down) to name a few are still prone to missing putts.

My interest in banning them would have gone up to 80/20 or higher if Sergio had won the first major using one

But he didn't. And he missed quite a few putts over the weekend. If they start banning belly and long putters then they may as well ban those spaceships on the end of a shaft. Especially that 2 ball putter style Harrington, Furyk and pretty much half the PGA tour (so it seems) uses.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

This would allow belly putters, but would ban those grotesque long putters used by Bernhard Langer and others.

I actually feel the other way about this ... the long putter is not as bad as the belly putter because it is held in the hands rather than being anchored against the body like the belly putter, which seems to be against the spirit of the rule at a minimum.

Overall, I don't like either one, and I do question the USGA's letting them pass. But if I had back problems, one might just find a way into my bag.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why should they? Alot more pressing issues in golf, just ask Gary Player.

:rofl:

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

What's the point in banning them? I actually use one, so one could say I'm biased, but I felt this way before I used it. Like it's been said, there's nobody that's dominating the tour because of it. It's just like anything else people do to and with their equipment to help themselves out. The drivers that promote a draw or a fade help people out in a fairly unconventional way. Graphite shafts that reduce ovalling are different than those of the past and are supposed to help people hit the ball better, not to mention the size of the grooves in some wedges and the huge drivers we all use now! I love technology, and as long as everyone is allowed to use it, it's fair in my eyes.

Take care,
Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

I don't think they should be banned, but it make sense to put a maximum length restriction on them.

Regarding the hands touching, I use a conventional putter with a split grip so my hands don't touch. It works great. Regulating someone's grip is a bit much.

I don't see the point of banning longer putters. It doesn't give people a clear advantage over others (did Sergio win?). Also, with a 36 inch limit, I'd be out of luck. Mine came standard at 35, but I had it extended to 37 so I wasn't hunched over so far - saved me three or four strokes a round, easily.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I'm always a little dissapointed when i see someone with a belly or chin putter on top of the leaderboard. To me it takes some of the human mechanics out of putting.

The fact that pros with long putters are still missing putts, has nothing to do with the putter, its that they didn't read the green right. I'm kinda on the fence about this whole subject because everyone makes good points as to ban them or not ban them. Maybe there SHOULD be a limit to how long a putter can be, they do have driver size limits. Just imagine if they let people hit with 700cc drivers.

To me putting consits of 2 elements, reading the green properly and SWINGING the club properly. All these long putters are doing is pivoting, there is not as much room for error and it kinda takes some fun out of it.

I think i'm more confused on this issue now! lol.
  • Upvote 1
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

Regarding the hands touching, I use a conventional putter with a split grip so my hands don't touch. It works great. Regulating someone's grip is a bit much.

Why not regulate the grip? The USGA already regulates the stance you can take when putting (Rule 16-1(e)).

Driver: Launcher, 10.5°
Fairway: Big Bertha 2007, 15° & 18°
Hybrid: Rapture, 21° & 24°
Irons: Big Bertha 2006, 5 - PW
Wedges: Vokey, 52° & 56°Putter: White Hot XG, Rossie Ball: HX HotI'm not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they'd come up sliced. ~ Lee Trevino

If you ban these belly and long putters because of an unfair advantage, then there will be a lot of golf purists saying ban alignment putters like the 2-ball. I know that's completely ridiculous, but still...

In my bag:
Driver: Launcher COMP 9.5* (Aldila NV 65S 350)
Fairway wood: Warbird 4-wood
Irons: X-18 Pro Series (3-PW)
Wedges: Vokey 252.08 and SM58.12Ball: Pro V1

I propose that any player putting with either a belly putter or a long putter must wear a skirt for any events they play on tour while using it.

Sounds like a plan.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

If players are having problems with them then simple, dont use them! Why should they ban something thats giving a player a disadvantage? its their problem.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I voted no. I'm open to different ideas and challenges. So long as they can't use it to measure club lengths for a penalty!
In My Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R580XD Titanium Driver w/ graphite shaft 10.5*
Fairway Woods: TaylorMade V-Steel 3 Wood 15* 5 Wood 18*
Irons: TaylorMade rac OS2 Iron Set 3-PW w/ Steel ShaftWedges: Cleveland Tour Action 485 SW 56*Putter: An old Pete Cooper Autographed Model

Note: This thread is 4168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!