IGNORED

My search for the best ball.....surprising result.

Note: This thread is 3950 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know why, but I fell in love with the Titleist Velocity. I still enjoy my TM Penta 5 and Pro V1, but the Velocity is quickly growing on me... especially considering it is 50% cheaper than the Pro V1.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Good luck with the Gamer. I like the HEX Chrome for my game. I need the extra spin/launch and love the urethane cover for bite around the greens on partial and delicate swings.

You might want to try the Callaway Hex Pro from Costco.  Urethane cover 4 piece ball.  It is private labeled for Costco, $24 a dozen hard to beat.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by inthecup

You might want to try the Callaway Hex Pro from Costco.  Urethane cover 4 piece ball.  It is private labeled for Costco, $24 a dozen hard to beat.

might have to give these a go. thanks for the insight

i've been playing the bridgestone E6. I love the way it feels around the greens. I have a 110+ club speed, but I like the softer balls. They fit my game better at this point. I liked the older taylormade RBZ balls. not the uryethane ones. although they aren't too bad either. but the bridgestone e6 has been great for me

The E6 is awesome! Soft indeed and beautiful around the greens no doubt about it. Visually I wish they'd have a better alignment line but ah well. Besides the e6 only other ball I ever play is the DT Solo.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by Forsythe04

might have to give these a go. thanks for the insight

If you are willing to go up another $2.00, definitely try the Titleist Velocity if you have not done so already. I personally think the feel around the green is much softer and nice off of my wedges and putter than the E6. Durability, from my memory of the E6, is probably equal or slightly edged to the Velocity. I would definitely give my personal preference off of the tee to the Velocity as well, hands down.

In all honesty, I used to play the NXT Tour as my primary ball and occasionally buy a dozen Pro V1s for special occasions (I still do tend to buy some used ones if I see them in a barrel or something). Now, I would not switch back from the Velocity for anything - especially at $24.99/dozen.

Originally Posted by saturday

The E6 is awesome! Soft indeed and beautiful around the greens no doubt about it. Visually I wish they'd have a better alignment line but ah well. Besides the e6 only other ball I ever play is the DT Solo.

I have to disagree.....I've played only the E6 for many months now and they are great off the tee but they do not hold the green at all and have no spin.  It's affecting my short game for sure, need something softer with more spin.

Originally Posted by bjwestner

I have to disagree.....I've played only the E6 for many months now and they are great off the tee but they do not hold the green at all and have no spin.  It's affecting my short game for sure, need something softer with more spin.

Have you found the same results from 2013 version as on the older ones? I have NOT played the 2013 version which is supposed to be better around the greens. The old version was super long for me but I could not stop it with short irons or around the green.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I found the e-series balls to lack softness around the green.  I do like the gamer, and am going to try the gamer tour with its urethane cover.

Normally I buy used pro v1x's off lost golf balls. I think 330-RXS is my new favorite though.  Lostgolfballs has them for $14 a dozen right now, which is hard to beat.  Every time I think about buying some new gamers I find a deal like that for a top ball online.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

The 2013's are great around the green for me. Not sure why you didn't have the same experience, might just be the older version?

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

People are probably going to hate me for saying this but I can only play Pro-V1's. Anything else feels like garbage to me.

Originally Posted by tmac20

People are probably going to hate me for saying this but I can only play Pro-V1's. Anything else feels like garbage to me.

No one's gonna hate your for that....you've just simply been brainwashed !! There are plenty of golf balls on the market that perform just as well as the Pro-V1.  Most all of these companies have come up with a ball that is in the Pro -V1's league if not better. Of course it is your personal preference as to what ball gives you the most confidence but judging by your statement it wouldn't matter what golf ball you were trying out because you would believe it was garbage before you even hit it.  I bet if we took the logos off the balls and you hit them that there would be no way you would be able to pick out the Pro V1. Did you know that a DT Solo which isn't a "tour ball"  performs exactly like a Pro V1 until you hit it with your wedges where you will get about 400-700 rpms more depending on swing speed and impact conditions (Source: Titleist).  Golf balls in the same class are spinning roughly the same and feel mostly the same.  Everyone has figured it out in the golf equipment game, but some market it better than others.

I get the same action (spin rates, launch, distance, feel off the putter, and stopping power with wedges) and feel out of the Taylormade Burner (not the Tour version) as I do any tour golf ball that I've ever hit.  And for 14 bucks a dozen I will play them for a long time to come.   The technology of the tour balls has trickled down to the rest of the balls and you definitely don't have to spend 45 bucks on a dozen golf balls to get the same performance.

Word of warning, Gamers seem to be extremely rare in Canada, at least that is the case in Quebec. Too bad, that ball is fantastic value.

Check out SportChek, I picked up 3 dozen at just under $11/dozen in sale a couple of weeks ago.

No one's gonna hate your for that....you've just simply been brainwashed !! There are plenty of golf balls on the market that perform just as well as the Pro-V1.  Most all of these companies have come up with a ball that is in the Pro -V1's league if not better. Of course it is your personal preference as to what ball gives you the most confidence but judging by your statement it wouldn't matter what golf ball you were trying out because you would believe it was garbage before you even hit it.  I bet if we took the logos off the balls and you hit them that there would be no way you would be able to pick out the Pro V1. Did you know that a DT Solo which isn't a "tour ball"  performs exactly like a Pro V1 until you hit it with your wedges where you will get about 400-700 rpms more depending on swing speed and impact conditions (Source: Titleist).  Golf balls in the same class are spinning roughly the same and feel mostly the same.  Everyone has figured it out in the golf equipment game, but some market it better than others.  I get the same action (spin rates, launch, distance, feel off the putter, and stopping power with wedges) and feel out of the Taylormade Burner (not the Tour version) as I do any tour golf ball that I've ever hit.  And for 14 bucks a dozen I will play them for a long time to come.   The technology of the tour balls has trickled down to the rest of the balls and you definitely don't have to spend 45 bucks on a dozen golf balls to get the same performance.

Yes, you're probably right; it's just in my head. But believe me, I've tried many other balls such as the Hex, 20XI, and Penta (haven't tried the lethal yet), and they just don't produce the same sound and feel off the club face for me.

I've been a ProV-1 player for a long time. Recently I was given a couple sample packs of Bridgestone RX-330S, and found them to be longer than the PV1, with good greenside feel. I'll be making the switch to Bridgestone.

Originally Posted by jimmyzl1

A small update to this thread. The best cheap ball will be the gamer V2. The best high dollar ball as far as feel, distance, spin, the Taylormade Lethal.

I'll give it a shot.  My stats (head speed, etc, handicap progression) is very similar.

Cheap right now (38 Top Flight XLs for $20), Very nice to "hit" - great feel/feeback, etc and no other ball goes farther for me (YMMV).  But not a lot of action near the green to work with.  So a more expensive ball would be 100% about learning more close in feel and action.

I've had a suggestion to use a stickier ball for approaches, just to get used to the spin results.  I'd just as soon get a higher end ball and use it for every shot.

Bill - 

Originally Posted by Joyride

Check out SportChek, I picked up 3 dozen at just under $11/dozen in sale a couple of weeks ago.

Sweet, off to Sportchek I go! The one by my place was sold out yesterday...

Note: This thread is 3950 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!