IGNORED

Sergio Garcia states racial remark towards Tiger Woods

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Has Sergio Garcia officially taken this too far?

• Yes. He shouldn't have said that.
    • No. That remark wasn't racist.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

His name is Tiger, and as jetsknicks1 pointed out, he's not the one asking for an apology. For that matter, who now is asking for one? Sergio apologized, and I think most everyone has moved on. Far as being asked about it in press conferences, look - Sergio caused it to be an issue in the first place. If he has to answer questions 500 times about it, it's his own doing. Best thing he can do is just answer the questions until he's not asked about it anymore. That may take a week or a month or a year. Who knows.

But had he just shut his mouth in the first place he wouldn't have to be answering any questions about it.

Wrong....the media made it an issue like they always do.....and they are still trying. When asked, Sergio should just say "next question". Sorry, I'm done with WHN...can't stand the coverage. Real tired of him taking up most of the TV time, and the announcers' BS. Just watch when WHN comes on today.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by teemup

Just look at the picture in the lower right...see what I mean?

Uhm, "Recent Images In This Thread"?

Oy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wrong....the media made it an issue like they always do.....and they are still trying. When asked, Sergio should just say "next question". Sorry, I'm done with WHN...can't stand the coverage. Real tired of him taking up most of the TV time, and the announcers' BS. Just watch when WHN comes on today.

Sounds to me like your problem is with the media, not TIGER. You don't want to see him on TV? Don't watch.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by teemup

Sorry, you're wrong. Sergio made it an issue by opening up his mouth. Root causes, my friend.

Eventually the media will get tired of asking him about it. And given Sergio caused all this, best he can do is politely answer their questions. A 'next question' retort will only prolong it.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I'm not surrendering my position I'm just not wasting anymore of my time trying to sway people to my position.

My opinion remains unchanged, the comment was absolutely and unequivably racist, it was a stereotype based on race. That is what racist means. The comment does not need to suggest superiority or even hate to be racist ie: saying that you love the way black people dance is just as racist as saying you hate the way they're always stealing hubcaps. One may be percieved as a little less hurtful but they are both racist comments. They are both blanket statements applied to a group of people because of the colour (or color in 'Murican) of their skin.

I have also gone on record as believing that Sergio is not a racist, he is just an idiot who eff'd up trying to be too cute (kinda like on the 17th at the Players ). I don't think Sergio has a problem with black people (but I could be wrong) and I don't think he believes they all sit around in shacks eating fried chicken. You don't have to be a racist to make a racist comment and making a racist comment does not make you a racist, that is where the whole intent and/or belief thing comes into play BUT whether or not the person making the comment is or is not in fact a racist does not change the fact that the comment is racist by its very nature.

And as for the whole, "Sergio had never heard the Zoeller comments" arguement...that is totally  unbelievable to me. Yes he was 17, yes he lived in Spain but he also lives and breaths golf and to expect me to believe he wasn't aware of the controversy that occured at an obscure little event like the Masters is a bit of a whopper. Might need an extra large and refreshing Sprite to wash that one down.

In anycase I stated WAY back in the thread that I wasn't going to be revisiting this thread and that was good instinct that I should have followed but sadly didn't.

So there!

From Dictionary.com -

RACISM:  a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
Within that framework, Sergio would have to be implying that he is somehow superior to Tiger, because Tiger likes fried chicken, which is a sign of racial inferiority.  There is a difference between a cultural stereotype and a racist remark.  That seems to have been lost in our world of political correctness.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

I try not to........Great golfer, not much of a man...IMO

You know him that well do you?

I guess then you don't like all the other Pro golfers who were and are womanizers and who have gotten divorces as well?  Better not turn on the TV, they are Everywhere!  Including announcers and beloved retired players!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I guess then you don't like all the other Pro golfers who were and are womanizers and who have gotten divorces as well?  Better not turn on the TV, they are Everywhere!  Including announcers and beloved retired players!

I've never understood the requirement that some folks have about athletes needing to be perfect in their private lives.

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

I've never understood the requirement that some folks have about athletes needing to be perfect in their private lives.

Apparently they never had any real role models in their personal life.  Or don't wish to have to be one for their kids and neighbors and nieces and nephews and want some random athlete to do it for them?

Bill - 

Apparently they never had any real role models in their personal life.  Or don't wish to have to be one for their kids and neighbors and nieces and nephews and want some random athlete to do it for them?

As the noted philosopher, Charles Barkley said, "I am not a role model" :)

Well, when some a$$hole can hijack this forum and put in an avatar in anyones' post.....I'm outa here. Wonderful forum you have here...........

You'll be missed.

I think you can give yourself a different Avatar.  Go to your profile and upload something.  If you read the welcome section when you joined, it mentions uploading an avatar.  Not sure who assigned you that one.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!