IGNORED

Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by turtleback

The ridiculous thing is not that Phil is flying back for his daughter's 8th grade graduation, it is that her school is even HAVING an 8th grade graduation.  Alas this is becoming far too common.

Wait? What? He's going back to see his daughter graduation? I don't remember when I was in 8th having a graduation ceremony. Weird, just weird...

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

The greens today accepted balls nicely, but once players got there the chip shots and putts were already rolling fast.

Cink nearly had a hole in 1 on 17.

Seriously, the greens are already getting fast on balls that are rolling. No real bounce yet, though, on flighted shots.

Originally Posted by LilGasPasser

That shot by Cink was incredible! Around a 250 yard par-3, and he stiffs it to about, what, 6 feet?!

Were you there? Yeah, he rolled it right over the cup on the tee shot, then made the birdie putt.

Every player I saw play from the rough today on any hole (except a couple of shots on 10) made bogey or worse. Miss the fairway here, pay the price.

Ya that long fescue is some monster stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if some players lose their balls, even with people everywhere watching.

On those short par 4s, they might be hitting 5 irons off the tee, to make sure they get in the fairway.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by Motley01

Wait? What? He's going back to see his daughter graduation? I don't remember when I was in 8th having a graduation ceremony. Weird, just weird...

Must be a regional thing.  I had one when I was in 8th grade 20 years ago or whenever it was.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Must be a regional thing.  I had one when I was in 8th grade 20 years ago or whenever it was.

Also, his daughter probably goes to a private school. With the prices those places charge, you kind of want something to show for it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm going to Sunday of the US Open with a friend of mine and just for extra rooting interest, we'll be putting some money down on some guys hoping one of them will be in contention come Sunday, here's the list and odds of the guys we're considering, curious if anyone has thoughts on them, has some favorites from the list, etc. Tiger is obviously the favorite, but since his odds are pretty high at 9/2, we might not bother with him.

Graeme McDowell            20/1
Matt Kuchar                20/1
Justin Rose                22/1
Lee Westwood               28/1
Charl Schwartzel           28/1
Luke Donald                33/1

Steve Stricker             40/1
Keegan Bradley             40/1
Matteo Manassero           50/1
Ian Poulter                66/1

Billy Horschel             80/1
Nick Watney                80/1
Ryan Palmer               100/1
Kyle Stanley              125/1
Scott Piercy              150/1
Brenden Grace             150/1
Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano 150/1
Aaron Baddeley            250/1

If you can get Keegan Bradley at 40-1 odds, take him. If Kuchar is 20-1 and Rose is 25-1, then that's a fantastic value bet.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by 9iron

Every player I saw play from the rough today on any hole (except a couple of shots on 10) made bogey or worse. Miss the fairway here, pay the price.

How far could they advance their ball out of the rough? Just hack it out or some 100 yards?

I'm avoiding having a bet, the weather conditions have made it too much of a lottery, normally for a US Open you can discount a large proportion of the field because they dont drive the ball straight enough, weather has made this less of a factor. Of that list: - Rose - really like his chances Westwood - don't go there his putting etc has improved but he was so down on his long game after the Volvo PGA I can't see it Manassaro - really like his chances, he's in great form - if you can get him at more than 50-1 all the better - definitely a good each way bet, not sure he is ready to win a major yet but he could easily top 5. Grace - isn't in last years form Gonzo - no chance his putting holds up Baddeley - don't know why he is so long odds - got to be something up - but he has contended in US Open's (when Cabrera won?) and is probably worth a small each way punt at those odds. Schwartzl/McDowell - odds a bit skinny but it wouldnt surprise me to see them in contention. Watney - ask Butch

Rose - really like his chances

Westwood - don't go there his putting etc has improved but he was so down on his long game after the Volvo PGA I can't see it

Manassaro - really like his chances, he's in great form - if you can get him at more than 50-1 all the better - definitely a good each way bet, not sure he is ready to win a major yet but he could easily top 5.

Grace - isn't in last years form

Gonzo - no chance his putting holds up

Baddeley - don't know why he is so long odds - got to be something up - but he has contended in US Open's (when Cabrera won?) and is probably worth a small each way punt at those odds.

Schwartzl/McDowell - odds a bit skinny but it wouldnt surprise me to see them in contention.

Watney - ask Butch

And where did my formatting go???

Originally Posted by Zwick

How far could they advance their ball out of the rough? Just hack it out or some 100 yards?

The longest balls I saw hit out of the rough went maybe 150 yards on holes 2, 4 and 6. The thing was, though, the players could not control those shots what so ever.

Also, not one player in the field tried to go for the green on #1 or #10 or any other short par 4. All hit irons off those tees and plenty of those missed the fairway.

Originally Posted by dataris17

I'm going to Sunday of the US Open with a friend of mine and just for extra rooting interest, we'll be putting some money down on some guys hoping one of them will be in contention come Sunday, here's the list and odds of the guys we're considering, curious if anyone has thoughts on them, has some favorites from the list, etc. Tiger is obviously the favorite, but since his odds are pretty high at 9/2, we might not bother with him.

Graeme McDowell            20/1

Matt Kuchar                20/1

Justin Rose                22/1

Lee Westwood               28/1

Charl Schwartzel           28/1

Luke Donald                33/1

Steve Stricker             40/1

Keegan Bradley             40/1

Matteo Manassero           50/1

Ian Poulter                66/1

Billy Horschel             80/1

Nick Watney                80/1

Ryan Palmer               100/1

Kyle Stanley              125/1

Scott Piercy              150/1

Brenden Grace             150/1

Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano 150/1

Aaron Baddeley            250/1

I like Poulter's chances in this. Not the best conditions, shorter course, putting the biggest need and just a big test for all players. Everything right there indicates to me Poulter and his confidence and ability to play under pressure may come through. Obviously the biggest names are all great bets and I trul believe McDowell will win, but with these conditions, more players have a shot. I also think because virtually nobody is comfortable and well versed with this course, a guy like Poulter has a good shot.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Tomorrow is another rough weather day & night forecast for Ardmore

Day

S 10 mph

Gusts: 18 mph

A severe afternoon t-storm; storms can bring downpours, large hail, damaging winds, and a tornado

Thunderstorms: 100%

Rain: 0.47 in

Hours of Precipitation: 2 hrs

Night

NW 12 mph

Gusts: 20 mph

Watch for a severe evening thunderstorm; cloudy with a shower or thunderstorm around late

Thunderstorms: 95%

Rain: 0.5 in

Hours of Precipitation: 2 hrs

Players play, tough players win!

There actually isn't much rain in that forecast, so it won't have too much of an effect on the golf course. It will cause delays, though, and it may push the end of the second round back to Saturday morning.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I seriously think Tiger is going to do very well and I can't even believe the line is 9-2. I did put some cash on him though and I also threw some on Rory and Stricker as well.

ESPN Sunday Conversation - Tiger Woods on his chances at Merion.

Originally Posted by turtleback

The ridiculous thing is not that Phil is flying back for his daughter's 8th grade graduation, it is that her school is even HAVING an 8th grade graduation.  Alas this is becoming far too common.

lol Thinking back, I think we had a pizza party back in my day. However, 2 of the teachers did joke that it was a celebration of getting rid of me and my antics...

I am marshalling the 17th hole, 195-245 yard par 3. The 17th tee is probably the finest spot on the entire golf course. You can see approach shots on the 16th, watch them putt on 16, see the whole 17th, watch the tee shots on 18 and watch the approach shots on 18. It is kind of sad that nobody can watch the golf from there. No fans allowed near the place.
The on-site network studios are in a three story structure built right next to the 17th tee. Yesterday, I was a fly on the wall while people like Stuart Scott, Chris Berman, Tom Watson, David Duvall, Frank Nobilo, Dotty Pepper, Andy North and Steve Sands were chatting about anything from the golf course to the NBA Finals. The funny thing is that the players, particularly the young ones, treat the TV peronalities like they are the stars.
It is amazing to watch these guys hit the 245 yard shot from the back tee on 17. Very few of them chose to hit alternate shots from the forward 195 yard tee. Lots of irons. The pin was in a tight spot, back left. Some of them were actually hitting cut shots at it and getting it close. Geoff Ogilvy hit a draw with a 4 iron that almost went in the hole. He was playing with Dustin Johnson and Ricky Fowler and Johnson hit a draw with an iron while Fowler hit a fade into the middle of the green with a hybrid. Fowler's swing is short and violent; amazing amount of clubhead speed. Of course, there were errant shots as well. Harrington sniped a hook into the stands that luckily hit a railing or it would have killed somebody. There were numerous Easter egg hunts for balls that were not all that far from the green. I see numeous "others" in their future.
  • Upvote 1

Bill M

Note: This thread is 3961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!