IGNORED

Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeph

We could see a winner at over par.

If there's no more rain, I agree.

They just said on Morning Drive the wind is starting to swirl and the course is drying out fast. Should be a classic grind fest today.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by sofingaw

Not saying he'll win. There's a lot of tough golf left. But the field is sliding back steadily toward Tiger. He's T16 at the moment. Was T 50 something this morn...

How do you figure? Plenty of golfers have shot the same scores so far. There are a whole bunch at +3. How do you figure its all about Tiger?

It's not ALL about Tiger. Absolutely true that any of the players at +3, or better, or even worse, are still in it. But Tiger's 14 majors make it about Tiger IMO.

Originally Posted by sofingaw

Certainly Els, Mcilroy, and lots of stars to watch. But most eyes are on Tiger.

Or just maybe the two guys in the lead lol. 4 shots back is a LOT in a US Open.

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Four shots back after 36 holes is nothing in a US Open.

Casper was seven shots back with nine holes to play & won in 1966.

• Upvote 1

Sure. But if one of the guys a few shots back keeps it in the fairway, and catches a few breaks, someone could put up a 67 or something. Not everybody. Probably only one person. But these guys are all pretty awesome.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Quote:

Four shots back after 36 holes is nothing in a US Open.

Casper was seven shots back with nine holes to play & won in 1966.

Believe it!  Especially if the rest keep backing up while Tiger continues to focus on par.  Any player who approaches any hole at Merion thinking birdie is more likely to come away with a double.  If you are smart, you don't think birdie until after the approach shot, and most of the time you don't think birdie until the ball is in the hole.  Playing for par doesn't mean ultra conservative play either.  It means playing shots with precision, and making a few recoveries on the holes which require taking some slight chance.

I'm absolutely loving this tournament, because this is so far from the boredom which the PGA Tour has become with the "bomb and gouge" philosophy.  Most of the guys who live with that playing philosophy are well down the leader board.  At Merion, you had better be able to think your way around a course or you'll be going home early.

Originally Posted by sofingaw

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Sure. But if one of the guys a few shots back keeps it in the fairway, and catches a few breaks, someone could put up a 67 or something. Not everybody. Probably only one person. But these guys are all pretty awesome.

There have been a few 67's so far, but no repeats so far.  It takes near perfection to shoot 3 under here, and very few players are capable of that in multiple rounds.  Look at it like this.  Tiger hasn't had his 67 yet - if he does shoot that low, where do you place the rest of the field then?  +3 on Thursday, even par yesterday - that trend would put him at -9 on Sunday.

(and no I'm not expecting that even Tiger can continue to improve by 3 strokes each round, but if anyone in the field could do it, he's the guy)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It's going to get firmer, but possibly not firm enough, to wreak havoc on the scores.

Phil gave away two short putts yesterday ... that's costly come Sunday. Phil is hitting fairways - if he keeps on doing it, he's up there.

Tiger? If he strikes it like Friday, and avoids the few bad breaks he had, he could easily move up. I think the guy put too much pressure on himself on Thursday, too hyped up with emotion and nerves, and it showed. Nerves?  Tiger? Yeah, when Haney was teaching him, he'd say the guy was purrfect on the range, but would get really nervous approaching the first tee. Same with Tiger as with Phil - he hits fairways and he's up there.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

True, RE: Nerves. Everybody still feels them. But the best are able to manage them effectively most of the time. Tiger may be superhuman, but the word human is still in there. A great tournament so far!

Tiger, Els, Mcilroy just moved up a spot without hitting a shot! Haha. T13. Even par today from those guys would likely get them close to or into the top 5, for Sunday, I'd bet.

Just checked out ticket prices for next year's US Open at Pinehurst. $60 for a Practice Round Mon-Wed. $120 for Thurs or Fri. $135 for Sat or Sun. I guess it's been a while since I went to a professional sports event, but that was a bit of sticker shock for me.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

It's going to get firmer, but possibly not firm enough, to wreak havoc on the scores.

Phil gave away two short putts yesterday ... that's costly come Sunday. Phil is hitting fairways - if he keeps on doing it, he's up there.

Tiger? If he strikes it like Friday, and avoids the few bad breaks he had, he could easily move up. I think the guy put too much pressure on himself on Thursday, too hyped up with emotion and nerves, and it showed. Nerves?  Tiger? Yeah, when Haney was teaching him, he'd say the guy was purrfect on the range, but would get really nervous approaching the first tee. Same with Tiger as with Phil - he hits fairways and he's up there.

Three, two for birdie and one for par.  He could have easily been at -4 or -5.   I hit the ball really well but had those brain farts.

BTW, I had Stricker at even par to win the prediction contest!  Keep grinding Steve!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by Mulligan Jeff

"Hats Off" to the USGA for molding Merion into the toughest test of shot making skill.

From what the commentators have said, if conditions had been dry, it would have been a train wreck and all players howling. The fairways would have been too firm, not much room ... good shots turn into disasters ... as Zach Johnson said before he caught a plane ... manipulated.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by rehmwa

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-ferguson/more-viewer-call-ins-no-penalties/

So idiotic to even answer the phone.

That's why it still bothers me that it's an option for people to call in.

How do you figure? Plenty of golfers have shot the same scores so far. There are a whole bunch at +3. How do you figure its all about Tiger?

You know what's funny?  All he did was post factual information, with the disclaimer that he's not suggesting Tiger is going to win, and YOU think it's all about Tiger.

And suggesting 4 strokes after 2 days is a lot in the US Open really hurts your credibility.  I'd say about 1/4th of the field is still in legitimate contention, including the best player in the field.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulligan Jeff

"Hats Off" to the USGA for molding Merion into the toughest test of shot making skill.

From what the commentators have said, if conditions had been dry, it would have been a train wreck and all players howling. The fairways would have been too firm, not much room ... good shots turn into disasters ... as Zach Johnson said before he caught a plane ... manipulated.

All of the sports commentators kept saying leading up to the Open that Merion didn't stand a chance against modern equipment and modern players.  That pretty much forced the USGA to prove them wrong - successfully I think.  If the course does dry out they have already stated that they will pick different hole placements than they would if it was wet, meaning that the holes will be in easier locations as the course plays faster.

Johnson's game hasn't exactly been top tier for a while now.  If the course is so "manipulated" then why are others playing fairly well.  There is nothing unusual about this Open over any previous ones.  The best players are at the top of the leaderboard, the poor players and whiners are headed home.  That's what a national championship should be.  If you can't adjust your game to a stiff test of golf, then don't bother to show up.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!