IGNORED

My Swing (Jeremie Boop)

Jeremie Boop

In addition to previous post *as I missed my edit window*:

I see two main things in the comparisons here. At set up we both have the ball at pretty close to the same spot and at impact I've moved my head way forward and his is pretty much exactly where it started..I think if I were to have the inline at impact position I'd be blading or topping the ball in the position I'm in here. Which is exactly what I was doing when hitting balls on the range that day.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

In addition to previous post *as I missed my edit window*:

I see two main things in the comparisons here. At set up we both have the ball at pretty close to the same spot and at impact I've moved my head way forward and his is pretty much exactly where it started..I think if I were to have the inline at impact position I'd be blading or topping the ball in the position I'm in here. Which is exactly what I was doing when hitting balls on the range that day.

Yep… because you've gotta start working on getting your arms down faster. You move your head forward as a way to try to cheat getting some shaft lean.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)

Quick upload for progress tracking. Somewhat better but still not great. I have improved a decent amount on my sliding forward on the downswing.

10-5-15 steady head improvement.jpg

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Last few rounds where I've stepped back and focused on key 1 has really shown some good improvements. I'm starting to strike the ball much more cleanly with fewer fat/thin shots. My two main misses are

1: with the driver has been sky balls. I'm not 100% positive but I'm fairly certain it's due to allowing my whole body and head to drift forward causing the club head to still be coming down instead of up at the ball. Some are so bad they almost completely miss the face of the driver threatening to leave a dummy mark on the top of the club head.

2: varying degree of pulls. Some are just a little left of target, others are way left of target. These could also be from drifting forward of the ball, flipping, having the ball too far forward in my stance, any combination of these, or none of these things.

Playing in the wind is still causing me issues as I'm never sure how much I need to club up for shots into the wind or club down with the wind but I'm determined to keep working on it. Also, I'm basically to the point where I think the putter I ended up getting as a replacement for my stolen one just doesn't fit me well. I have a lot of trouble with distance control as well as lining up my putts. Next year may be the year I break down and get fitted for an Edel. If I can, I will get some new video up this week to see if there is actual progress or if it's all in my head.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Try not to setup to the ball with your hands too much foward of the ball. Like everything in golf you have to do the opposite of what you would think is logical. too improve your impact position. Try to setup to the ball with your hands way behind the ball, you're mind will think it's not possible to hit that way and you will start too delay your release a bit more.

Give it a try. 

• Administrator

Try not to setup to the ball with your hands too much foward of the ball. Like everything in golf you have to do the opposite of what you would think is logical. too improve your impact position. Try to setup to the ball with your hands way behind the ball, you're mind will think it's not possible to hit that way and you will start too delay your release a bit more.

I haven't seen that work for very many players at all. More often players benefit from having the handle slightly forward. It's where they want to get to at impact, and so just as pushing your hips forward a bit at setup helps, so too does presetting the handle forward a bit in my experience as well.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 5 months later...

Set up an appointment to use the flightscope at the range Saturday to try drivers. I messed about with the M2 and the new G. I hit the m2 much better today but figured I may as well just go all out and try out several options. I'll report back with my results.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

On 6/23/2013 at 0:38 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

Ok, I shortened the clips from the grass and combined a full speed and 30% speed into one clip. Sorry about the spammed posts. Just trying to put something up that will be of more use

Looks like you could work on getting your swing less up and swing and more circular. It's a fine swing that is just off plane a bit. Your set up needs better posture keep that head up a little and make a finish to the target but slightly left. Notice how high your arms are in your follow through? This indicates a very up and down motion vs slightly up around and through.

dfhg.jpg

I appreciate the input, but that video is rather... old. I'll be uploading new videos soon if you want to comment on those when I get them up.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

36 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Set up an appointment to use the flightscope at the range Saturday to try drivers. I messed about with the M2 and the new G. I hit the m2 much better today but figured I may as well just go all out and try out several options. I'll report back with my results.

What are your thoughts on how M2 looks? I liked how it felt but I'm not sure I could get used to the crown.

6 minutes ago, Jakester23 said:

What are your thoughts on how M2 looks? I liked how it felt but I'm not sure I could get used to the crown.

I like the looks of it, I found it much easier to line up than the all black G driver. Even my bad strikes were decent compared to my current driver and the G. I'm interested to see how the other drivers I try Saturday work out though. I'm going to be trying just about every option there is.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Good to see you still choppin' wood, Jeremie!

You've inspired me to attempt to hit a few balls in the garage today...haven't swung a club since September or October....

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

So, big surprise which driver actually ended up being the best for me. Ended up with the Srixon Z355, it performed much better than anything else, plus it was the cheapest. Cost me $315 before tax. The numbers aren't amazing of course, it's pretty early in the season and my swing is pretty rusty. But the shot spread was much tighter with it and also had the highest mean carry. This was with range balls and also the balls were landing about 1/2 way up the hill at the back of the range so that may have skewed the actual carry distance, but I don't know for sure. I tried more clubs than what this shows, but these were the ones I narrowed down to after the initial testing.

IMG_0022.PNG

IMG_0023.PNG

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

This was with range balls and also the balls were landing about 1/2 way up the hill at the back of the range so that may have skewed the actual carry distance, but I don't know for sure.

FlightScope will measure to where the ball would cross the horizon (horizontal from where you hit). So the uphill or downhill doesn't matter. That's your carry yardage on flat ground.

And you can normalize for the kinds of balls you were hitting, too.

Just now, iacas said:

FlightScope will measure to where the ball would cross the horizon (horizontal from where you hit). So the uphill or downhill doesn't matter. That's your carry yardage on flat ground.

And you can normalize for the kinds of balls you were hitting, too.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking it may be like that. The carry seemed pretty accurate, on the course I wasn't getting much if any roll today and I had a lot of 240ish drives. If I remember right there was a spot on the flightscope that said something like typical ball or something. I'll have to remember that for future flightscope sessions.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about my flipping issue. I think it's possible the action of my wrists going into impact is just wrong. I keep getting this feeling that I'm "snapping" my wrists at the bottom instead of rotating my forearms? If that makes sense.

Basically this is what I mean by "snapping" and it looks a lot like how my wrists look at/post impact

and this is how I think it's supposed to go, via rotating my forearms

Maybe I'm wrong? This is just a thought and I want to make sure I'm right/wrong before I think about trying to change it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

this is how I think it's supposed to go, via rotating my forearms

Maybe I'm wrong? This is just a thought and I want to make sure I'm right/wrong before I think about trying to change it.

I think your second video (shown in my reply) is the correct one. I was once told by a guy who played HS golf that his coach had him separate his hands on the club so that the right hand was an inch or two separated from the left hand. Then go through the "release" much like you show in this video above. He said that helped him get the feel of what the hands do as well as the feel for how the club whips through without any flip at all.

Not sure if this technique or drill is condoned or endorsed by people here, but I was told that once, for what it's worth. Your video just made me remember it.

(disclaimer, of course: you've seen me play, so you know I'm no expert on the swing! Take it all with a grain of salt, and I could very well be steering you wrong. Your question struck a chord with me because it was not long ago I was puzzled by the same thought about the hand action through the release, and I had to undo the wrist flip you show in your first video. I'll stay tuned to see what the real experts say)

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

@Jeremie Boop the wrist movements from A6-A8 just happen as a direct result of everything you did in your swing prior to that. You can't change it by feeling you "release" differently. You can't actually consciously control what your body is doing after A5 to impact anyway; that part of the downswing happens too quickly.

You need to change what's causing the flip and not the flip itself. How have you been practicing? Are you still working on your priority piece?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread