IGNORED

TaylorMade SLDR Prototype

Note: This thread is 3917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

Probably not going to be a Dick's-only brand:

https://twitter.com/PaulMac69/status/355399131264581632/photo/1

Notice the slider is right in the middle. Honestly across the board, I feel loft is the only real adjustment that should be on the driver.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

From the TM Website:

When we develop a breakthrough at TaylorMade, we bring it to golfers as soon as possible. Our new SLDR driver represents one of these great moments, as SLDR is the longest and easiest to adjust driver we've ever made.

--> As I said, TM Bullshit

Originally Posted by kingofgreens

From the TM Website:

When we develop a breakthrough at TaylorMade, we bring it to golfers as soon as possible. Our new SLDR driver represents one of these great moments, as SLDR is the longest and easiest to adjust driver we've ever made.

They are all long and easy.

This one is probably more forgiving than the R1 (all of 4-5 months old) and has 1-2 more mph of ball speed. You'll have to guess your loft within 3 degrees. And swingweight adjustment? They're working on it ... in the Slyder 2.... lol

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by kingofgreens

From the TM Website:

Brandt Snedeker replaces his old Burner with the SLDR and won the Candian Open. This will probably help more with TM's marketing.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Speed slot (old technology with a new face that led to their acquisition of Adams) now the SLDR which is old technology wrapped in a new marketing campaign.

TM is a marketing machine, they save a ton of money on R&D; by re-packaging old ideas so they can spend their money on marketing.  You can't argue with their results over the last few years but seems this year King might have to change the strategy a bit as their clubs aren't moving off the shelves like they used to this year.

Joe Paradiso

To be fair, TaylorMade has been working on it since 2006 and their patents pre-date the Mizuno driver.  The SLDR is basically taking the Rocketballz fairway technology and putting it in the driver.  Moving the cog low and forward.  The weight slide thing is just marketing.

TM claims:

-2-3 MPH Ball Speed

- 400RPM less spin

- More Distance (6 to 10 yards)

The problem is that this is a new flagship driver released only 6 months after their last flagship driver, the R1.  And wasn't it only last month that they said black was back with the R1 Black?

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

Brandt Snedeker replaces his old Burner with the SLDR and won the Candian Open. This will probably help more with TM's marketing.

Maybe earlier in the week but this is from the last round and looks like the Burner

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

Maybe earlier in the week but this is from the last round and looks like the Burner

Hmm...probably did see a photo from an earlier round.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Snedeker used the SLDR for the first 3 rounds but went back to the Burner for the final round to hit more fairways.  DJ and Mike Weir used the SLDR as well this past week.

Joe Paradiso

TM doesn't advertise it as "slot" technology - if they do, that slot is far from the face. The advertise the lower and closer COG and weight savings from removing all the adjustments. Basically, they've expanded the sweetspot to make it lower as well as higher so you have a bigger sweet spot zone. Lower spin, higher launch, and as previously stated more ball speed and some more yards.

You lose customization for weight savings. Do you get the extra yards or accuracy if the driver doesn't fit as well?

Depends on you.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Tough to keep selling clubs if your motto is "You Will Never Need Another Club After Buying This One" , where do you go after that? I admit I play TM hybrids because I got them either used or on sale, I don't think I'm their target audience though. The way they flood the market with constant new releases and revolving styles generally means that at some point, whether used,clearance or gimmick, odds are that the majority will somehow wind up with a TM club in the bag at some point. I wonder how profitable that can be though?

Superfast 12 LS Driver set at 10*w/ProLaunch red shaft

:callaway:RazrFitXtreme w/MatrixBlackTie 15*:adams:Idea ProBlack hybrid 16*:adams: Idea ProBlack Hybrid 20*  :callaway: RazrX Forged 4-PW  CG14  54* S Wedge

Idea A3 60*  L wedge

:rife: IBF Aussie Tour Blade putter

Originally Posted by WhySoSerious

Tough to keep selling clubs if your motto is "You Will Never Need Another Club After Buying This One" , where do you go after that? I admit I play TM hybrids because I got them either used or on sale, I don't think I'm their target audience though. The way they flood the market with constant new releases and revolving styles generally means that at some point, whether used,clearance or gimmick, odds are that the majority will somehow wind up with a TM club in the bag at some point. I wonder how profitable that can be though?

I find fairways and hybrids the toughest clubs to replace - once I find the combo I like, they stay. Still working on it. Irons - once every 4-5 years, but you gotta' have two sets.

Drivers and wedges are clubs that I'll look at to replace. Wedges, when the grooves are done. Driver, every 2 years or so.

Having said that, new releases are tempting.  I bought an R1 and have a decent shaft in it, but with swing changes, it's taken 4 months to get it where my swing and the R1 adjustments agree. But it's best to wait until they go on sale in 6 months.That is the smart strategy. I can pick up a Slyder head for less than $100 and use my R1 shaft....

I play with someone who uses a Nike Sasquatch driver and Calloways irons, probably 5-7 years old. He hits my R11s and Burner 2.0s farther and straighter than his clubs. Just saying.

Also meant to add the more stuff they come out with the faster and cheaper you can buy the previous model new and used.

James

Originally Posted by whatwoodtigerdo

I play with someone who uses a Nike Sasquatch driver and Calloways irons, probably 5-7 years old. He hits my R11s and Burner 2.0s farther and straighter than his clubs. Just saying.

Also meant to add the more stuff they come out with the faster and cheaper you can buy the previous model new and used.

Your burner irons are likely lofted to be clubbed up one iron from his.

I.e. his older 6 iron has the same loft as your "new and improved" 7 iron.

Notice the slider is right in the middle. Honestly across the board, I feel loft is the only real adjustment that should be on the driver.

The "slider" is in the middle because he has nearly flawless mechanics.

I couldnt disagree more when you say Ping cashes in on gimmicky marketing just as much as the next company. So you're saying they cash in like TM when it comes to gimmicky marketing? Ping has a couple funny commercials, but I dont recall them promising more yards with each release every 90 days.

I don't recall Ping promising more yardage but a couple of seasons ago they had some very "gimmicky" advertisements about their hybrids.

Note: This thread is 3917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!