IGNORED

golf apps killing battery

Note: This thread is 3322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No idea.  I have the same issue with my phone.  I use Golfshot, and I can't use it's full functionality because my phone will only make 10-12 holes.  I know that iPhone's have an extra long lasting battery you can buy, but I haven't seen anything like that for other phones.  I use my skycaddie for on the course gps and then use Golfshot at the end of each hole or round to input all of my stats.  Good luck.

I use Freecaddie which uses minimal battery and swing by swing which has 4 modes of monitoring which you can change as the above poster said with golf shot.

IMHO the modern phones battery dies fastest when the screen is on, so the less you use the screen the longer the battery.  The screen also goes to max brightness in when in high light which also chews my battery.

I use Golf Logix and have no issue at all. If I play 18 holes and start with a full battery in usually at 80% when it's done... This is in my iPhone 5. The key is to turn the screen off until you need to use it again.
  • Upvote 1

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

so i need a charger for on the course? any leads? GPS kills my GSIII

Same phone as yours. Is your power saver mode on? Mine lasts about 4 hours till 20% from full.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As with many phones, exiting an app doesn't always CLOSE the app. Always make sure that ALL extra apps are closed. Set the screen timeout to as short a time as necessary. Try turning OFF the phone part, especially on a golf course that might be away from built up areas. Searching for a signal kills a phone faster than any GPS related apps. And turn off the phone part because you shouldn't be chatting away anyways. Also the wifi should be off as well- again, searching for signals drain it out. I've used BBGPS on my BB 9810 and have no issues with battery drainage using the above methods.

Is your power saver mode on?

Mine lasts about 4 hours till 20% from full.

I have the GS3 and I agree with the Power Saver mode, works fine for me for a full 18. Turning the screen off when you're not using the phone helps ALOT also.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I use Golflogix on my GS3 and use about 40%. I so carry a portable Duracell charger that I bought from Amazon. Works great.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I have the GSIII.  For starters, I bought the Samsung extended battery...not one of the humongous aftermarket ones, but the one by Samsung that is only slightly bigger than the standard battery.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Samsung-Extended-Battery-3000mAh/dp/B00BMQ56QE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1374008305&sr;=8-1&keywords;=galaxy+s3+extended+battery+3000

Secondly I use SkyDroid which is awesome, but I used to leave it on all during a round and it burned in on my screen.  AT&T; gave me a warrantied refurbished new phone, and so now I make sure and turn the screen only between shots.  That also helps the battery out a lot.

The extended battery though is awesome.  I can easily last16-24 hours under pretty heavy use.

Originally Posted by tuffluck

I have the GSIII.  For starters, I bought the Samsung extended battery...not one of the humongous aftermarket ones, but the one by Samsung that is only slightly bigger than the standard battery.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Samsung-Extended-Battery-3000mAh/dp/B00BMQ56QE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1374008305&sr;=8-1&keywords;=galaxy+s3+extended+battery+3000

Secondly I use SkyDroid which is awesome, but I used to leave it on all during a round and it burned in on my screen.  AT&T; gave me a warrantied refurbished new phone, and so now I make sure and turn the screen only between shots.  That also helps the battery out a lot.

The extended battery though is awesome.  I can easily last16-24 hours under pretty heavy use.

Thanks for sharing this. BTW, Does it fully charge in 6 to 8 hours?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

Thanks for sharing this. BTW, Does it fully charge in 6 to 8 hours?

No...it is much less than that.  I've never clocked it but I think at the very worst it is half of your estimates, maybe even faster for a full charge.  ~2.5 hours sounds about right.

• 1 year later...

Basically it takes a relatively long time to lock onto 3 or 4 satellites, plus the mapping app is processor hungry. There is a good explanation here: http://www.itworld.com/article/2833266/mobile/why-gps-eats-so-much-battery-power--explained-by-a-google-engineer.html

Amazon has the Bushnell NEO XS gps watch for $159.  The yardage is always there with no waiting for a signal connection. A quick glance at your wrist, pick a club and swing. You can probably find the Bushnell NEO X (prior model) for even less. Mine lasts for at least two rounds and usually three. Now I don't have to worry about my phone going dead on the course. I have a friend that uses his phone and an app (don't know which one) and he never gets a reading as quick as I do. Plus his phone doesn't seem as accurate as my Bushnell.

I use the Hole19 App on my iPhone and I've never had any major issues with battery life.

The app allows you to see the distances to the hole from the drop-down menu without having to unlock your phone - I guess that also helps with unnecessary use of the battery. It's actually quite smart.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!