IGNORED

Broken tee. Using someone else's equipment??

MyrtleBeachGolf
Note: This thread is 3904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

Shorty, I have to say, your attitude around here is quite charming.  You have such a negative attitude towards these forums and the people who visit them, that I really do have trouble finding a good reason why you stop in here or waste your time posting?

What's the punchline to this joke?

Two guys walk to the 6th tee, a par 3.

One player picks up a tee from the ground.

His partner says. "Er...I think you might be breaking the rules if you use that."

The other bloke looks at him as if he just stepped out from a space ship and says............................................................................................

I have  a negative attitude towards stupidity.

I am more than willing to help any person who has a genuine and reasonable question if I can. Otherwise, I find it hard to ignore junk. Like a dog returning to its vomit.

Posts about tees being "borrowed equipment", bunkers being "more penal" than water hazrds and 300 yard hitters wondering about their shafts are not innocent questions from genuine people who want help, they are either trolls, boasts and  nonsense posted by braggards and lazy fools who want others to do their homework for them.

I won't even start on the guy who wanted us to compile statistics regarding thrown clubs and scores.  It's just absurd.

I can just about tolerate the "original" jibes at TaylorMade every time they bring out a new driver, but that's about my limit.

I like to discuss golf, not the equivalent of kindergarten questions about dinosaurs.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

For crying out loud.

Is there really any limit to the depths of the craziness of some of the dilemmas that are posted here, and apparently, not as jokes?

Seriously......this is really over the top.

Of course - it would be too hard to do a search on "what constitutes equipment in golf" in a rules context.

Don't EVER let a  headcover you find on the course find its way onto one of your clubs before you return it to the proshop.

The trouble is, there are too many so-called tournament or league committees which are quite clueless about the rules.  They have never made any real effort to learn anything more than what they have picked up by playing, which is the best way I know of to load up on disinformation.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This question illustrates the difference between rules and legalisms.  How is picking up a discarded tee using someone else's equipment?  How do you establish ownership of a broken tee?  This kind of idiocy is ruining the game.  The ball doesn't care how it's teed up.  They used to use sand and spit in Old Tom Morris' day.  When the Walrus put down a towel to keep from getting his pants wet, that was called, "building a stance."  Really!  I call it keeping his pants dry.

That question reminds me of the little league or girl's softball game I read about awhile back.  Last inning, team is one down with a runnger on, kid hits one out, rounds the bases, his teamates are cheering him/her on pounding him/her on the back.  The douchebag opposing coach pulls out the rule book and shows the ump where you can't touch a baserunner while they're running the bases.  Candy ass umpire calls the kid out, game over.

If I was the umpire, I would have told the coach to go +%*&*$ himself.  I didn't see nuthin'.

Occam's razor

Quote:

5-1/5

Whether Player May Borrow Balls from Another Player

Q. During a stipulated round, a player runs out of balls. May he borrow one or more balls from another player?

A. Yes. Rule 4-4a prohibits a player from borrowing a club from another player playing on the course but the Rules do not prevent a player from borrowing other items of equipment (balls, towels, gloves, tees, etc.) from another player or an outside agency.

If the "One Ball" Condition in Appendix I is in effect, the player would need to obtain the same brand and type of ball as required by that condition.

So, you can pick up a tee from the tee boxy with out any worry. Just assume if someone left it there, it was left there to be borrowed by someone else ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by CraiginKSA

This question illustrates the difference between rules and legalisms.  How is picking up a discarded tee using someone else's equipment?  How do you establish ownership of a broken tee?  This kind of idiocy is ruining the game.  The ball doesn't care how it's teed up.  They used to use sand and spit in Old Tom Morris' day.  When the Walrus put down a towel to keep from getting his pants wet, that was called, "building a stance."  Really!  I call it keeping his pants dry.

Um.... I thought that we already established (and correctly) that it isn't equipment.  Are you ranting just for the sake of it?  Feel any better now?

And Stadler was building a stance, regardless of his intention.  Being able to have both knees on that towel may even have given him some added stability, and since that possibility existed, the use of the towel was not permitted.  If he wanted to keep his slacks clean he should have slipped on his rain pants.

Rick

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Um.... I thought that we already established (and correctly) that it isn't equipment.  Are you ranting just for the sake of it?  Feel any better now?

And Stadler was building a stance, regardless of his intention.  Being able to have both knees on that towel may even have given him some added stability, and since that possibility existed, the use of the towel was not permitted.  If he wanted to keep his slacks clean he should have slipped on his rain pants.

Perhaps he's looking for a rise from Shorty.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

I have to agree with Shorty on this one.  While many subscribe to the rule that "there are no stupid questions," what they forget is that in some cases "stupid people ask questions."

This can be readily determined simply by looking at the definition of equipment.  From Section II of USGA Rules book (see: http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253)

Equipment ” is anything used, worn or carried by the player or anything carried for the player by his partner or either of their caddies , except any ball he has played at the hole being played and any small object, such as a coin or a tee , when used to mark the position of a ball or the extent of an area in which a ball is to be dropped. Equipment includes a golf cart, whether or not motorized.

Clearly the USGA definition of "Equipment" does NOT include a tee.  So the entire question is stupid as tee is NOT an equipment.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by Yukari

I have to agree with Shorty on this one.  While many subscribe to the rule that "there are no stupid questions," what they forget is that in some cases "stupid people ask questions."

This can be readily determined simply by looking at the definition of equipment.  From Section II of USGA Rules book (see: http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253)

“Equipment” is anything used, worn or carried by the player or anything carried for the player by his partner or either of theircaddies, except any ball he has played at the hole being played and any small object, such as a coin or a tee, when used to mark the position of a ball or the extent of an area in which a ball is to be dropped. Equipment includes a golf cart, whether or not motorized.

Clearly the USGA definition of "Equipment" does NOT include a tee.  So the entire question is stupid as tee is NOT an equipment.

You misread the definition.  A tee is equipment when carried by the player or his caddie, just like anything else they carry.  It is not equipment when it is being used to measure for or mark a dropping area, or to mark a ball position.   It is also no longer equipment when it has been discarded or abandoned.

• Upvote 1

Rick

Originally Posted by Shorty

What's the punchline to this joke?

Two guys walk to the 6th tee, a par 3.

One player picks up a tee from the ground.

His partner says. "Er...I think you might be breaking the rules if you use that."

The other bloke looks at him as if he just stepped out from a space ship and says...some grouchy prick named Shorty told me you were an idiot.

I have  a negative attitude towards stupidity.

I am more than willing to help any person who has a genuine and reasonable question if I can. Otherwise, I find it hard to ignore junk. Like a dog returning to its vomit.

Posts about tees being "borrowed equipment", bunkers being "more penal" than water hazrds and 300 yard hitters wondering about their shafts are not innocent questions from genuine people who want help, they are either trolls, boasts and  nonsense posted by braggards and lazy fools who want others to do their homework for them.

I won't even start on the guy who wanted us to compile statistics regarding thrown clubs and scores.  It's just absurd.

I can just about tolerate the "original" jibes at TaylorMade every time they bring out a new driver, but that's about my limit.

I like to discuss golf, not the equivalent of kindergarten questions about dinosaurs.

Snark is the idiot's version of wit .  And you sir have it down to a science.

I wasn't just making up random stupidity.  I was questioning a situation that actually occurred on a golf course.  I was not the one who suggested that using someone else's tee was illegal.  I was actually arguing with the 2 others, stating that it seemed nearly impossible for their rule to be real.  From the minute they stated it, I thought it was quite absurd.  But you know what, there are some very strange and specific rules in the game of golf that not everyone on this planet has memorized.  I thought this golf forum would be a good place to get a solid answer as there are indeed some very knowledgeable people with an understanding of the game which trump mine immensely.

Once again, you have contributed absolutely nothing to this discussion, or this forum.  Kudos on proving that.

Originally Posted by Yukari

“Equipment” is anything used, worn or carried by the player or anything carried for the player by his partner or either of theircaddies, except any ball he has played at the hole being played and any small object, such as a coin or a tee, when used to mark the position of a ball or the extent of an area in which a ball is to be dropped. Equipment includes a golf cart, whether or not motorized.

And stupid people give incorrect answers. Is that it?

Not that it matters what a tee is defined as. There are no rules prohibiting you from borrowing equipment, with the exception of clubs.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 3904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!