• Announcements

    • iacas

      GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

      Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ernest Jones

Confused with lesson plans...

9 posts in this topic

I'm having a hard time reconciling some of what I've been working on in my lessons. My main issue was coming in too steep and going OTT, key#4 stuff. What helped me to fix this (work in progress!) is to feel my hips and shoulders stay closed longer in the downswing however, my next issue I need to attack is my hips are too square to the ball at impact and I'm hitting a lot of pushes and not getting enough extension through the ball. I end up too crowded at impact and elbows separate and all that other yucky stuff!

My homework for this is to get my trail knee working more down the target line and less out towards the ball but I haven't been able to get a good feel for this yet. I'm wondering if getting my trail shoulder pointing down towards the ball more at impact will help with this but haven't had a chance to try the theory yet and don't want to stray too far from what my instructor is asking me to do.

So I guess the question is: How do I continue to slow my hip rotation rate, swing out to the right AND "clear" my hips through impact??

I have faith that I'll get there but if anyone has any clues to help me wrap my head around this piece it would be very welcome.

EDIT* maybe I should have put this in my swing thread ? If so the mods can feel free to move it

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I looked at one of your most recent vids, and you are still OTT, you need a lot more work to drop the right shoulder in the downswing
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

So I guess the question is: How do I continue to slow my hip rotation rate, swing out to the right AND "clear" my hips through impact??

I have faith that I'll get there but if anyone has any clues to help me wrap my head around this piece it would be very welcome.

People that clear the hips too soon usually won't have enough weight forward and the left knee straightens too soon.  So to keep the hips closed, you would keep the left knee flexed longer, feel more pressure or "load" into the left foot.  Then to crank up the rotation you would make sure to "stretch" more into the followthrough.  Stretch meaning that you extend your legs, have the belt buckle facing the sky, tuck your tailbone under you.

This stuff should help with the understanding and give you a few visuals

Weight forward, see the flex in the left leg and then the legs extend, everything is stretched out.  That keeps the hips turning.

How to practice it

Don't worry about some of the lingo here, it's a good visual for the left knee

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

People that clear the hips too soon usually won't have enough weight forward and the left knee straightens too soon.  So to keep the hips closed, you would keep the left knee flexed longer, feel more pressure or "load" into the left foot.  Then to crank up the rotation you would make sure to "stretch" more into the followthrough.  Stretch meaning that you extend your legs, have the belt buckle facing the sky, tuck your tailbone under you.

This stuff should help with the understanding and give you a few visuals

Weight forward, see the flex in the left leg and then the legs extend, everything is stretched out.  That keeps the hips turning.

How to practice it

Don't worry about some of the lingo here, it's a good visual for the left knee

Mike, I am at work so I didn't watch any of the videos, so forgive me if this is already covered but ...

If Ernest's homework is to feel the trail knee move towards the target instead of the ball, then can he work on banking the right foot as well?  If I remember correctly, one of the things you made clear to me was that it's really hard (nearly impossible) to kick the knee out towards the ball if the heel stays down.  Isn't there a drill where you put something (my pipoe perhaps? ;)) under the outside of your trail foot to sort of pre-set it as banked and make little swings?

Also, Ernest, one of the 5SK videos Dave made on here is about feeling the toes of your right foot pushed up toward the top of your shoe during your setup and swing.  If those toes are up off the ground, that is another way to inhibit the knee kicking out towards the ball.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks everyone. On my way to the range now, I'll see where I get with this. I just happen to have my laptop with me so I can re-watch my lesson right before practicing.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I liked this video with Mike and James especially when references the left shoulder at A4 feeling like it's riding up a wall while you increase weight pressure to the lead foot. I felt like it helped bring my hands closer to where it was at A1 instead of going way out in front of me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

If Ernest's homework is to feel the trail knee move towards the target instead of the ball, then can he work on banking the right foot as well?  If I remember correctly, one of the things you made clear to me was that it's really hard (nearly impossible) to kick the knee out towards the ball if the heel stays down.

Correct if that foot banks, then the knee flex is controlled.  Banking the right foot can be achieved by focusing on actually banking it or a "reaction" the how hips/left knee/pressure works.  That video that James and I did talks about that.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Isn't there a drill where you put something (my pipoe perhaps? ;)) under the outside of your trail foot to sort of pre-set it as banked and make little swings?

Yeah and you can do this one.  Best drill for a slicer.  A lot of beginners should almost consider setting up like this imo.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0