IGNORED

56 or 60 club face in a bunker ( various lays)

looseleftie
Note: This thread is 3856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It wouldn't take off. Doesn't matter of you spin the conveyor belt at the required speed, the wings are not moving relative to the air, so no lift. Now, if you take the wheels of the plane, set it on a conveyor belt that is lets say quarter mile long, and then move the belt at the required speed, the plane would take off. But if the plane, no pun intended, spinning its wheels, no lift.

I hate those questions though. My highschool physics teacher was evil for them. He would do stupid shit as well, like,

"If a squirrel was sliding down a frictionless roof (covered in ice), how much force would he have to throw the nuts it was carrying each each arm to stop himself from sliding." Like, WTF man. I'm taking an exam, none of this crap.

You should have listened to him a little more carefully..... ;-)

OT for this thread, but for some fun reading on the subject, try this.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/63320/plane-on-a-conveyor-belt

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have listened to him a little more carefully.....

OT for this thread, but for some fun reading on the subject, try this.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/63320/plane-on-a-conveyor-belt

Yea, missed that thread ;), oops.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yea, missed that thread ;), oops.

Stupid monkey

;-)

If it makes you feel better, it took me a while to wrap my head around it too and my reasoning was exactly the same as yours. But...but...airflow...wings...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

It wouldn't take off. Doesn't matter of you spin the conveyor belt at the required speed, the wings are not moving relative to the air, so no lift. Now, if you take the wheels of the plane, set it on a conveyor belt that is lets say quarter mile long, and then move the belt at the required speed, the plane would take off. But if the plane, no pun intended, spinning its wheels, no lift.

Must...not...*head explodes*

You're better than this. lol

I'll leave it short...

The wheels don't make the plane move forward...they're essentially there to remove friction between the plane and the ground. Thrust makes the plane move forward, and those wheels will either spin faster than the conveyor or grind against it while spinning. Either way, that plane is getting the F*** outta there.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I hate those questions though. My highschool physics teacher was evil for them. He would do stupid shit as well, like,

"If a squirrel was sliding down a frictionless roof (covered in ice), how much force would he have to throw the nuts it was carrying each each arm to stop himself from sliding." Like, WTF man. I'm taking an exam, none of this crap.

Result for the plane is entirely dependent on air speed.  Ground speed, conveyor belt speed are irrelevant.  If the conveyor belt is moving just as fast as the plane in the opposite direction, all that means is that the plane's wheels are spinning faster.  Airspeed is determined by thrust or propulsion, and is independent of how fast the wheels may be turning.  Airspeed and wing design are what cause lift, which is all that determines an airplane's ability to leave the ground.

Now back to the wedge question, which has nothing to do with airplanes, conveyor belts, or friction. (I wasn't going to revive a year old thread for this brief deviation).  I'm waiting to see if Nick comes back to admit that he was rather off base or if he is still stuck on his contention that friction is what makes a wedge work.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Now back to the wedge question, which has nothing to do with airplanes, conveyor belts, or friction. (I wasn't going to revive a year old thread for this brief deviation).  I'm waiting to see if Nick comes back to admit that he was rather off base or if he is still stuck on his contention that friction is what makes a wedge work.

It could have everything to do with the wedge question. I mean, different grinds would have subtle changes in lift, there basically an airplane wing right. Get that grind just right and you'll either dig into the sand or not, that subtle millimeter of air lift is what matters ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

If friction from the sand dosnt cause the ball to move forebears then why wouldn't the ball drop straight down into the divot you just created?

Joe Paradiso

If friction from the sand dosnt cause the ball to move forebears then why wouldn't the ball drop straight down into the divot you just created?

The energy transferred from the clubhead, through the sand and into the ball is what moves the ball.  When you are talking about several thousand grains of sand, the math might get a bit complicated, but it's the transference of the energy of all of those grains of sand against the ball that makes it move, and the sand is moved by transferring the energy from the clubhead into the sand.  The direction in which the ball moves depends on the vector of the force (which is determined by angle of the clubface and the direction the club is moving) when that force is applied to the ball.  Friction is not force, it is resistance to force.

Rick

I assume you mean forwards (auto-correct?), but for the 97th time, let's explain it...

If done right, the club never touches the ball. Never. Not for a second, not for a nanosecond. You're hitting the sand with the club in a forward motion. Even though the loft of the club at impact may be 90 degrees, the sand doesn't move straight up, because of the motion of the club.
Without a ball in the bunker, open your clubface to 90 degrees. Then hit an imaginary blast shot. Where does the sand go? Forward...in the direction the ball would go...because the sand carries the ball. There's no ball, so in that scenario there is no ball/sand friction.
Ryan M

ok so force of the sand pushes the ball? And friction makes it all possible

Holy Christ...

Friction is responsible for bunker shots like air is responsible for the internet working. Without air, nobody would be alive, so the internet wouldn't work. Therefore, the internet was created by air.

That's your argument.

Ryan M

I have to add one comment here.  I seriously doubt that a good bunker shot is ever played with the clubface at 90 degrees at impact, because in that case the ball will not move any significant distance.  Mine certainly isn't anywhere near 90°.  It's an optical illusion if that's what you think.  If anyone can prove me wrong, go for it, but just saying that's what it looks like won't cut the mustard.

Rick

The energy transferred from the clubhead, through the sand and into the ball is what moves the ball.  When you are talking about several thousand grains of sand, the math might get a bit complicated, but it's the transference of the energy of all of those grains of sand against the ball that makes it move, and the sand is moved by transferring the energy from the clubhead into the sand.  The direction in which the ball moves depends on the vector of the force (which is determined by angle of the clubface and the direction the club is moving) when that force is applied to the ball.  Friction is not force, it is resistance to force.

Ok so if the face is about 90* then what causes the sand to move foreword instead of straight up?? [quote name="Slice of Life" url="/t/69966/56-or-60-club-face-in-a-bunker-various-lays/60#post_901556"] Holy Christ... Friction is responsible for bunker shots like air is responsible for the internet working. Without air, nobody would be alive, so the internet wouldn't work. Therefore, the internet was created by air.  That's your argument. [/quote] yes, kinda, not really, read above

Ok so if the face is about 90* then what causes the sand to move foreword instead of straight up??

yes, kinda, not really, read above

Yes, not kind, really. 100%.

YOU read above. Find my post above the one you quoted and read. You keep repeating yourself for no reason.
Ryan M

Ok so if the face is about 90* then what causes the sand to move foreword instead of straight up??

Which direction do you swing the club? (Hint: it rhymes with "smoreword.")

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Which direction do you swing the club?

(Hint: it rhymes with "smoreword.")

Forebears?

Ryan M

Which direction do you swing the club? (Hint: it rhymes with "smoreword.")

Left And your gonna say so the ball goes left And my question would be why dose the ball go left if the face is 90 Hint: friction [quote name="Slice of Life" url="/t/69966/56-or-60-club-face-in-a-bunker-various-lays/60#post_901564"] Yes, not kind, really. 100%.    YOU read above. Find my post above the one you quoted and read. You keep repeating yourself for no reason.  [/quote] Where? Plus-- I don't know why we got into this whole friction thing because it isnt even relevant to what the thread is about

Note: This thread is 3856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!