Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jasonpetermann

Which Gap Wedge do you use?

35 posts in this topic

I just got a set of Mizuno JPX 825's and it came with a gap wedge. I have a set of Cleveland wedges, so I am debating which Gap wedge I will use. Just curious what everyone else does... Do you use the Gap that matches your irons or your wedges?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

My gap wedge matches my 56 and 60 degree wedges. All are vokeys. My PW is still the one that matches my iron set.

Scratch 1018 forged. 50* bent to 51*. TNC grind. Very pleased with it....

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My iron set came with a GW but I really didn't use it much. Using a 53* Yururi Raw Gekku now. Just put it in the bag so I'm still learning it, but so far I like it.

I don't use a gap wedge.

After all this time I should probably know this, but don't.  What is your bag makeup?

After all this time I should probably know this, but don't.  What is your bag makeup?

D, 3W, 2H, 3I-9I, 48, 54, 60, P

D, 3W, 2H, 3I-9I, 48, 54, 60, P

Not arguing -- really wish to know...

What is the standard meaning of "gap wedge?" Isn't the 48 your gap wedge? My pitching wedges are 45 and 46*. "Sand wedge" is 54 or 56*. I  always thought anything in between was called a gap wedge. Am I wrong? Is there something other than loft that make a wedge a "gap" wedge?

To the OP, I do both matching set and matching wedges. I have two sets of irons, my JPX 800 Pro set has a 50* Gap Wedge. With my MP-53's I use a 50* that matches my other wedges.

Since my PW is 45, I go 50, 55, 60.

50 is the so-called Gap.

I use an Edel, also have a Miura.

Talking about bags, mine is for a middle-aged guy with high 80's speed.

D12deg- TeeOnly14.5 3Deep - 18 Wd- 21,25, Hybrids,6-PW, 3 wedges-P

I also have a 5i and 30h that I use depending on conditions.

The 3 Deep has not arrived - on backorder

Not arguing -- really wish to know...

What is the standard meaning of "gap wedge?" Isn't the 48 your gap wedge? My pitching wedges are 45 and 46*. "Sand wedge" is 54 or 56*. I  always thought anything in between was called a gap wedge. Am I wrong? Is there something other than loft that make a wedge a "gap" wedge?

The 48 is my pitching wedge. I have up to a 9-iron in irons. 44°, 48°, 54° ("sand wedge" even though I use the 60° more out of bunkers), and 60° ("lob wedge").

So no, I don't think that qualifies as a "gap wedge." Gap wedges bridge the gap between a pitching wedge and a sand wedge, typically. My gap is only 6°, so I suppose I could have a 51° gap wedge, but I don't.

My gap wedge is a Nike Sumo AW.  I wouldnt say that it matches my irons or my wedges.  It is much closer to my irons though and I like the forgiving nature and high launch of a cavity-back wedge with a wide sole.

The 48 is my pitching wedge. I have up to a 9-iron in irons. 44°, 48°, 54° ("sand wedge" even though I use the 60° more out of bunkers), and 60° ("lob wedge").

So no, I don't think that qualifies as a "gap wedge." Gap wedges bridge the gap between a pitching wedge and a sand wedge, typically. My gap is only 6°, so I suppose I could have a 51° gap wedge, but I don't.

I have a set of callaway x20s. PW=45 A=50 And SW=55. Works for me for now I'm still learning and only in my first season

I play Titleist 712 AP1's, and use the 50*gap wedge that came with the set. Gets lots of play, one of my favorite clubs in the bag.

My PW is a 46.06 Calla X20 Tour from the iron set. GW is 50.08 and SW is 56.14 (both Cle CG14s).

My gap wedge matches my 56 and 60 degree wedges. All are vokeys. My PW is still the one that matches my iron set.

Exactly same for me although my 52 and 56 are the SM4 vokey and the 60 is a spin milled Vokey