IGNORED

iOS 7

iacas
Note: This thread is 3828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I agree. Just finished updating and I think the new interface looks like crap. I'll give it some time though, maybe it'll grow on me. Just seems too...white.

You'll grow to like it more. [quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/70052/ios-7/30#post_899565"] I'm seeing the same thing, usually by this time it's at around 40%, but today I had to recharge it because it dipped below 20% and I didn't use the phone any more than usual.  Definitely need to keep an eye on this. [/quote] Google is your friend. A bunch of new things are enabled. AirDrop. Background refresh. Etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very happy about AirDrop.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• Administrator

Very happy about AirDrop.

I plan to enable it on an as-needed basis.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

New compass leveler feature might come in handy for Aimpointers if you don't already have a leveler. Also handy if you fix things around the house. Swipe left:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

New compass leveler feature might come in handy for ers if you don't already have a leveler. Also handy if you fix things around the house. Swipe left:

We need PERCENT SLOPE DAMMIT!

C'mon Apple! :-D

None of you are inspiring me to upgrade.  I've only had my iPhone for a little over a month and a half.  I am just getting used to the old OS.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

None of you are inspiring me to upgrade.  I've only had my iPhone for a little over a month and a half.  I am just getting used to the old OS.

Thanks to Erik and Google I think I've resolved the battery drain issues.  As for the interface, it's not horrible but I preferred the previous look in many respects compared to this new flat look.

My issue isn't dis-satisfaction as much as it is disappointment that iOS7 still seems lacking features and capabilities that Android and Windows phones have had for a while.  It was a evolutionary upgrade and I was hoping for more revolutionary.  I miss Steve Jobs.

I'd suggest you upgrade, there are some nice features added like allowing your apps to receive updates in the background.

Joe Paradiso

Thanks to Erik and Google I think I've resolved the battery drain issues.  As for the interface, it's not horrible but I preferred the previous look in many respects compared to this new flat look.

My issue isn't dis-satisfaction as much as it is disappointment that iOS7 still seems lacking features and capabilities that Android and Windows phones have had for a while.  It was a evolutionary upgrade and I was hoping for more revolutionary.  I miss Steve Jobs.

I'd suggest you upgrade, there are some nice features added like allowing your apps to receive updates in the background.

What were the causes?

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
My issue isn't dis-satisfaction as much as it is disappointment that iOS7 still seems lacking features and capabilities that Android and Windows phones have had for a while.  It was a evolutionary upgrade and I was hoping for more revolutionary.

Like what?

I woke up at 6am and ordered my iPhone 5S today. As I posted elsewhere, the wife will get the 5, and the kiddo will get her 4S.

What were the causes?

I did nothing but turn off background app updating for everything but my weather apps and a few other things, and turned off AirDrop - I'll enable it when I need it. Getting great (i.e. normal, which was already pretty good) battery life now.

Like what?

I woke up at 6am and ordered my iPhone 5S today. As I posted elsewhere, the wife will get the 5, and the kiddo will get her 4S.

I did nothing but turn off background app updating for everything but my weather apps and a few other things, and turned off AirDrop - I'll enable it when I need it. Getting great (i.e. normal, which was already pretty good) battery life now.

1. Near Field Communications - not a biggie for me today but I see it the value in it as well as potential for abuse.  Time will tell if AirDrop is as easy and effective as Beam and WiFi Direct on Android.
  2. Multi-tasking - iOS 7 is better than previous iOS versions, but it's not true multi-tasking like Android, OSX or Windows.  Part of this is hardware limitation but OS still lacks unscheduled multi-tasking support.
  3. Ability to assign default applications.  I use Navigon and Google Maps, I've buried Apple Maps in a folder somewhere since you can't delete it.  It would be nice if I click links for directions if I could tell it what app to use rather than Apple Maps.
  4. Multiple keyboards - Swiftkey is pretty slick, but not available on IOS.

There are some others but I don't consider any of them to be worth the switch.  I have to wait another year to upgrade my 5 to 5s so you'll have to let us know how it runs on the new hardware and processor.

Joe Paradiso

I split my time between Android and iOS and while Android has had background app updating, customizable keyboards and a slew of other features for a long time now, I still find basic functions like cut and paste on iOS easier to use, although Android has the select all option more conveniently available. As for the flat look, I've also been using Windows 8 with a touchscreen which is basically the Windows Phone OS, so flat is familiar.

New releases always have battery issues, you see it on the Apple discussion boards after every new release, tons of people having problems. It's usually some app or process hitting the cloud.

Doesn't Android have way more customizable keyboard options compared to iOS? People go crazy over Swype, but I've had accuracy issues with it, plus trouble with little things like repeating letters. Usually when people mention Android has more than iOS they're talking about customizing to the tilt the homescreen and gadgets, so you can look at calendar and weather in one eyeful. Some go gaga for that, but it does nothing for me.

Foreign language support, especially input, a lot better on iOS. Much more so for Chinese (probably the same for Japanese and Korean.) Less setup, better character recognition, cleaner interface, easier to use, tts, etc...

Text to speech on iOS is cleaner, simpler. I just enable it and I can select text in a browser or app and have it spoken. It is a pain in Android, at least Jelly Bean.

Android has this annoying update Android modal dialog. You can't turn it off unless you update the OS or root your device. Sometimes you don't want to because you know the new OS is buggy. So if you're watching a movie, this dialog will popup 2-3 times.

Google maps on Android has the ability to save maps offline. I don't think iOS Google maps has this.

Integration with Google apps, like maps, mail, YouTube, etc... is excellent in Android, naturally.

Android has file managers. I can move files around, download files to specific places. The iOS app doctape might make files less of an issue though.

Sharing between apps, many more options in Android.

Perhaps you can get Android to do more, but you pay in time spent. I want to do, not spend time tinkering.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I still have a regular 4 with the dreaded battery drain problem. Every once and a while it happens and I have to delete my exchange email and calendar then re-install it and it will be fine again. Don't know but maybe the new OS will fix this permanently.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

• Administrator

Near Field Communications - not a biggie for me today but I see it the value in it as well as potential for abuse.  Time will tell if AirDrop is as easy and effective as Beam and WiFi Direct on Android.

I think AirDrop will do just fine.

Multi-tasking - iOS 7 is better than previous iOS versions, but it's not true multi-tasking like Android, OSX or Windows.  Part of this is hardware limitation but OS still lacks unscheduled multi-tasking support.

This has always seemed like more of a checkbox item. Add multi-tasking, and battery life and whatnot takes a hit. Apple made a tradeoff that works 99.5% of the time. The "faux-multitasking" it has now is awfully effective.

Ability to assign default applications.  I use Navigon and Google Maps, I've buried Apple Maps in a folder somewhere since you can't delete it.  It would be nice if I click links for directions if I could tell it what app to use rather than Apple Maps.

Multiple keyboards - Swiftkey is pretty slick, but not available on IOS.

Eh, okay. You can have those two. I won't even make a list of all the things that put Apple and iOS ahead of Android or Windows Phone/etc.

I split my time between Android and iOS and while Android has had background app updating, customizable keyboards and a slew of other features for a long time now, I still find basic functions like cut and paste on iOS easier to use, although Android has the select all option more conveniently available. As for the flat look, I've also been using Windows 8 with a touchscreen which is basically the Windows Phone OS, so flat is familiar.

FWIW, iOS has background app updating now as well. I kind of liked reading what was new in many of the apps I updated, though, so I'm hesitant to turn it on. :)

Google maps on Android has the ability to save maps offline. I don't think iOS Google maps has this.

It might. We've navigated 100 mile routes fetching the data on WiFi in Canada with all data functions disabled, and the turn by turn still worked using just the GPS. And that was awhile ago.

Perhaps you can get Android to do more, but you pay in time spent. I want to do, not spend time tinkering.

That's almost always true when talking of an Apple product versus something else.

(Except with Mac OS X, there's Unix right there if you need it… so that helps to quash that particular discussion.)

Dang, no AirDrop on the 4 and 4s. Oh well, the wife and I will have to wait for our next eligible upgrade I guess.

Nate

Day 2. Getting used to the look, still preferred the old look but the safari pages layout is cool. Definitely a bigger battery drain than the previous OS.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

It screwed w my music

Did you backup with iCloud or something?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I am hearing bad reviews from some friends of mine.  I don't have much on my iPhone yet, but I think I will let the dust settle first.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!