IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

On October 29, 2016 at 9:33 PM, nevets88 said:

The Myst (2007) - birdie. It's Halloween, no? This movie is so similar to The Walking Dead, I think Frank Durabont or Durabond was involved in this. 

Based on a short story by Stephen King. We saw it, pretty good. I love good horror movies and thrillers. We really liked The Strangers. I give that a birdie almost eagle in the suspense thriller area. 

We saw Dr Strange on Friday. A par in my opinion almost a bogey, I'll go against the grain for the following:

Maybe it's because the beginning seems so cookie cutterish. Man has tragedy, man seeks deeper understanding which can only be found in ones self in a Kung fuey kind of way with martial arts and meditation and then goes out into the world (thinking this is not really a spoiler).  

Turns into what feels like Chris Nolans Batman (the training by a powerful person steeped in eastern martial arts and thinking) meets Inception for me. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/29/2016 at 9:33 PM, nevets88 said:

The Myst (2007) - birdie. It's Halloween, no? This movie is so similar to The Walking Dead, I think Frank Durabont or Durabond was involved in this. 

The Mist (sp?) - other than the Director and a couple of the same actors, not sure I would say they are similar.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

7 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

The Mist (sp?) - other than the Director and a couple of the same actors, not sure I would say they are similar.

• Stuck in an enclosed space while nasty things outside will eat you up in a flash while everyone inside is at each others' throats.
  • Deciding to kill yourself or risk dying a God awful death. In both, main characters choose the former.
  • A cult like figure emerges and chooses a daily sacrificial lamb, rules by fear and paranoia.

Freudian slip, I was thinking of Myst, the game, which has NOTHING in common with Mist.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Inferno. The Dan Brown/Tom Hanks thing.

Look, the book aren't "good quality" writing, but they're escapist and easy. The movies are similar. The puzzles are cool, the little bits of semi-factual "hidden" things are fun, etc.

Judged just on that, the movie succeeds at the same level (almost - you don't get the exposition that explains the puzzles and clues quite as well).

But I'm giving this movie a double bogey simply because of the change in the ending.

Lame.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 hours ago, nevets88 said:
  • Stuck in an enclosed space while nasty things outside will eat you up in a flash while everyone inside is at each others' throats.
  • Deciding to kill yourself or risk dying a God awful death. In both, main characters choose the former.
  • A cult like figure emerges and chooses a daily sacrificial lamb, rules by fear and paranoia.

Freudian slip, I was thinking of Myst, the game, which has NOTHING in common with Mist.

I guess for a couple of similar scenes, not sure I'd compare a 6 season series with a 2 hour movie. 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

15 hours ago, iacas said:

Inferno. The Dan Brown/Tom Hanks thing.

Look, the book aren't "good quality" writing, but they're escapist and easy. The movies are similar. The puzzles are cool, the little bits of semi-factual "hidden" things are fun, etc.

Judged just on that, the movie succeeds at the same level (almost - you don't get the exposition that explains the puzzles and clues quite as well).

But I'm giving this movie a double bogey simply because of the change in the ending.

Lame.

Disappointing they changed the ending, Hollywood always gets its "happy" ending.

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

I guess for a couple of similar scenes, not sure I'd compare a 6 season series with a 2 hour movie. 

It's the overarching themes and style. Had TWD actors not been used, I think I still would have asked, is TWD guy writing this movie? If it was paced and styled like 28 Days later, definitely not.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Contact, eagle, the basic plot similarities with Arrival is uncanny. Smart, driven female scientist has a close encounter with little green men, but it gets very personal.

Steve

Creed 2016

Wasn't a bad film, story line was a bit limp as was the ending, stallone was well just stallone so nothing different there. alot of characters turn heel/toe very quickly throughout the film which is weird, wouldnt watch it again but may watch the next one in the franchise if there is one 

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Contact, eagle, the basic plot similarities with Arrival is uncanny. Smart, driven female scientist has a close encounter with little green men, but it gets very personal.

Loved the movie, but the book was even better. The stories have different endings and if you are a math nerd like me, the ending in the book was stunning.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Loved the movie, but the book was even better. The stories have different endings and if you are a math nerd like me, the ending in the book was stunning.

Yeah, book was awesome. Might be worth a reread, maybe along with some pumpkin, pie. :-)

Steve

• Administrator
8 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Then can I buy this copy and, though it has the movie on the cover, get the actual book as written, and not the "movie version" of the book?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Then can I buy this copy and, though it has the movie on the cover, get the actual book as written, and not the "movie version" of the book?

I think they just used the movie as a promo. The content is still original. The hardcover I have is older than the movie.

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I think they just used the movie as a promo. The content is still original. The hardcover I have is older than the movie.

He's right, it's the same as original. Jealous, wish I could read this for the first time again. Great book. 

So many great scenes in the movie. The opening, the discovery of the signal, the discovery of the video, the wormhole, wanna go for a ride?

Steve

Moneyball edit

Steve

• Administrator

Saw Arrival earlier today.

Bogey.

Too hyped. It probably would have been a par if I'd just gone to see it without thinking about the hype at all, but it didn't live up to it at all.

I'm not giving anything away by pointing out an obvious goofy mistake: when they're first trying to communicate with the aliens, they don't use pictures. They don't say "human" and show one human, and "humans" and show many humans. They point to themselves, and then immediately introduce themselves as "Louise" and "Ian" which for all they would know could be "friend" and "enemy." Or "woman" and "man" or "short" and "tall" or something.

Makes no sense.

Plus, if math is the universal language, why not establish a baseline with basic things like counting?

I might have been interested in seeing a bit about how one goes about figuring out how to read a new language, but they did none of that.

The parts that should have been slow were fast, and vice versa.

I saw Dr. Strange. I give it a birdie. I good start to another Marvel to Movie series. Cumberbatch was a great choice for the lead. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Saw Arrival earlier today.

Bogey.

Too hyped. It probably would have been a par if I'd just gone to see it without thinking about the hype at all, but it didn't live up to it at all.

I'm not giving anything away by pointing out an obvious goofy mistake: when they're first trying to communicate with the aliens, they don't use pictures. They don't say "human" and show one human, and "humans" and show many humans. They point to themselves, and then immediately introduce themselves as "Louise" and "Ian" which for all they would know could be "friend" and "enemy." Or "woman" and "man" or "short" and "tall" or something.

Makes no sense.

Plus, if math is the universal language, why not establish a baseline with basic things like counting?

I might have been interested in seeing a bit about how one goes about figuring out how to read a new language, but they did none of that.

The parts that should have been slow were fast, and vice versa.

I thought they touched on math is the universal language in the helicopter in Louise's and Ian's first conversation when Ian said science, not language, is the foundation and then when later in a video conference call with UK about

Spoiler

them not being able to handle simple math concepts.

Yeah, could have done more with the associating symbols with meaning part, in the story, it was much more detailed, but filmmakers probably thought it would be too much for the audience. 

In every single time travel/time warping movie, if you try to unwrap how it works, you can't, because of the paradox inherent in time travel. It's just like Bruce Willis said in Looper, don't bother trying to figure it out.

Every movie has logical inconsistencies (how are those

Spoiler

giant things with clumsy tentacles

able to construct faster than light spaceships?), but I enjoyed the life affirming message,

Spoiler

the intermingling of language and time

and the slow pace and style of the movie as Hollywood is punching me in the face over and over again with quicker and quicker cuts and edits and jamming its movies with more and more characters and storylines - I enjoyed the director's previous films, Sicario, Prisoners and Enemy, so starting out biased.

I'd give Arrival an eagle, have seen it twice and the second viewing was even better. Max Richter's piece bookending the movie is a warm hearth in the dark of winter.

It'll be interesting to see how well it takes in Hong Kong after marketing's gaffe with photoshopping a Shanghai building into Hong Kong and then taking out HK altogether.

This movie isn't for everyone, I can see it having its fair share of vehement detractors, but if you like Denis Villeneuve or movies like Another Earth or Perfect Sense, you'll probably enjoy this. Will be interesting to see what he does with Blade Runner.

Steve

Finding Dory - Birdie. My wife and I watched this with our goddaughter. I liked Finding Nemo and this was good too. The animation was stunning and they introduced some good new characters. One piece of watching advice, watch until the very end of the credits.

Scott

My Swing Thread