IGNORED

Pants/Slacks or Shorts??

PapaBear
Note: This thread is 3857 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here in Northern California I only wear dri-fit- or rain type golf pants from like maybe Mid November to March.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Well, I just looked on the website of the course I usually play, and it did not say jeans were allowed as it once did. It once specifically said jeans in good taste and repair or something like that. It now says proper golf attire, including but not limited to etc., etc. I was out there last Sunday on the range in tan jeans, and no one said anything, but I don't think they would. The policy does not expressly prohibit jeans, but I think I will refrain in the future. It does expressly prohibit short shorts, tube tops, and undershirts, so I guess I will have to give up the Daisy Dukes and wife beaters as well.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

When you start trying to use tradition, you get yourself in trouble.  The only "tradition" in golf attire is that it changes with time.

Sure, but you know what I'm saying, right?

There's nothing tangible about jeans that makes them "worse" than khakis.

The only reason we see them as such is because they thought so in 1950, and 1900, and 1800, etc.

I'm not saying it's "right" that that's the way we think of things, but I don't think it can be disputed.

In 1900 you wouldn't have been wearing shorts either.  Only young children wore short pants before the fifties unless you were in a truly tropical location.  Nobody on a golf course would have considered it, even in 100+ temps, silly as that sounds now.

They make dressy, designer jeans for women.  Why are men discriminated against?  Most courses which require collared "golf" shirts for men allow sleeveless tops for women.  Women are allowed to wear skorts, even on most courses where men are required to wear slacks.  Are men supposed to be so much tougher that they can just endure heat stroke better?

And don't even get me started on those ridiculous Loudmouth things.  You'd have trouble finding a circus clown to wear them.  Saying that they are more "respectful" of the game than denim jeans is ludicrous, and a blatant demonstration of bad taste.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
And don't even get me started on those ridiculous Loudmouth things.  You'd have trouble finding a circus clown to wear them.  Saying that they are more "respectful" of the game than denim jeans is ludicrous, and a blatant demonstration of bad taste.

This is a great point.  I might throw in some of the pants of the 70's.  Also Fowler-esque type clothing.  I actually saw a guy the other day in a snap cap, argyle sweater, knickers w/ long socks, etc.  This is OK, but clearly not the way people dress for golf anymore.  It is a costume.  Loudmouths and such might very well be pants instead of jeans - but I'm not sure it screams respect for the game or makes anything classier.  And those are pros wearing that stuff.

I don't have a problem with them wearing any of that stuff.  But it would seem hard to hold a weekend warrior in bad regard for some denim when a pro wears head to toe matching orange - and is one of the more popular players on tour despite his one win.

• Upvote 1

No thanks, I'll go ahead and win so I can buy you guys some actual pants.  You two playing from the ladies tees, because you and golfingdad sure do bicker like them.

First of all - appreciate the clip, because I'm a big Will Ferrell fan.  Secondly, you argue a lot about a subject to not have any "judgement" towards it.  Let's break it down a bit - if you were out (let's say at a nice restaurant) and were dressed up enjoying your dinner, when all of the sudden a bum busts through the front door and sits down next to you.  Tell me for one second you aren't going to slightly judge him based on where you are (what proper attire is considered, type of clientele to be expected, etc.) vs his appearance currently and the way he handles himself.  Same thing applies at the golf course.  There are certain expectations with sports - a sprinter isn't going to wear jeans, a diver isn't going to wear a hoodie, and golfers TRADITIONALLY don't wear jeans.  That's the only point I'm trying to make.

So Will Ferrell walks into that restaurant wearing jeans.  Or Peyton Manning.  Or Bill Gates.  Or Former Presidents George H. W. Bush and his buddy Bill Clinton.  Do you judge them?

I don't wear jeans playing golf because I find them too heavy.  But I don't pretend to be perfect enough to judge other people's golf attire.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I could be wrong but I bet more courses disallow jeans than do. ( this is just my guess) so I guess us non jeans wearing people don't have to worry about it if we stick to those courses that disallow them.  and everybody can be happy

It's an enforcement issue here. Every course I frequent that is slack on the dress policy is only that way because the minimum wage clerk manning the register doesn't have the ability to enforce it. The only courses that do enforce it are private and it's mostly due to member's policing themselves. I watch people wearing jeans walk by the posted policies in the pro shop every week.

Dave :-)

You pick.  But lets say one guy walks in wearing jeans and another walks in wearing shorts.  Who is more dressed up?

Are the shorts above or below the knee?  Or, GASP, capri pants!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It's an enforcement issue here. Every course I frequent that is slack on the dress policy is only that way because the minimum wage clerk manning the register doesn't have the ability to enforce it. The only courses that do enforce it are private and it's mostly due to member's policing themselves. I watch people wearing jeans walk by the posted policies in the pro shop every week.

No pun intended? ;)

You pick.  But lets say one guy walks in wearing jeans and another walks in wearing shorts.  Who is more dressed up?

At some both are fine and at others they are both underdressed. I don't know. my feeling is if you are playing a mom & pop course that allows coolers, and such maybe jeans are ok but at most I would think slacks or nice shorts isn't to much to ask.

My course is public and they enforce it. sure maybe one or two people sneak by but if the are seen in jeans they are asked to change or get a raincheck even if they already have played a few holes.

So Will Ferrell walks into that restaurant wearing jeans.  Or Peyton Manning.  Or Bill Gates.  Or Former Presidents George H. W. Bush and his buddy Bill Clinton.  Do you judge them?

I don't wear jeans playing golf because I find them too heavy.  But I don't pretend to be perfect enough to judge other people's golf attire.

In a restaurant, no - but I doubt any of those guys you mentioned would EVER wear jeans on a golf course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wils5150 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey View Post

At some both are fine and at others they are both underdressed. I don't know. my feeling is if you are playing a mom & pop course that allows coolers, and such maybe jeans are ok but at most I would think slacks or nice shorts isn't to much to ask.

You are making my point.  You can't even say that shorts are nicer than jeans.  It only seems to be the case in golf.  And I know you didn't do it - but in this thread folks have been called trash and other disparaging remarks for disrespecting the game with jeans - on a course that allows jeans.  It's a little harsh.

as far as "to much to ask in you're, gramatically butchered sentece above - what is the "asking"?  and who is asking? and why is it being asked?  I'm not really much against jeans on the course or people sacrificing and punctuation on a message board because they are using their cell phone.  But if I had to pick one, I'd allow the jeans and judge people on the grammar.  I would think a few capital letters and appropriately placed commas aren't to much to ask.

I'm kinda kidding about the grammar - but just making a point.  The jeans thing is only one very small step (or maybe 0) from wearing shorts.  It is a little arbitrary.  And if you want to open or play at a course that requires a higher dress code, that is great.  I personally don't wear jeans to the course either.  But to call people trash over jeans is silly - especially when shorts are perfectly acceptable.

I've never seen a course policy that specifically said shorts are okay. Typically the wording is golf attire. Shorts can be just about anything. Show up wearing Dockers cargos to a private club and you'll likely be asked to change. I realize this absurd thread has taken a turn to what's acceptable in restaurants and other public places but IMO it's pointless. I can definitely think of places where shorts of identical fabric as slacks would be disallowed and welcomed. Doesn't have much to do with golf course dress policies.

Here I've seen policy ignored by course staff and customers alike. What works and what doesn't appears to vary course to course. At my former home course I see people out there in hoodies and it doesn't affect the quality of the experience, conditions are good and people are respectful. Other places not so much. The course I learned to golf on in the 70's is a mess. They allows jeans and I hate playing there despite my affection for the place because the disregard of rules didn't stop with the dress policy. Every course problem imaginable is a frequent occurrence there. All this thread proves is what is acceptable varies by course, region and everything else under the sun. It's not a class issue and not determined by green fees. If a course is mismanaged the blame falls on the management.

Dave :-)

I've noticed in recent years that our club (and few other clubs or public courses for that matter) does not really enforce the written dress codes for women. In fact, our pro shop actually sells women's clothing that does not conform. I think this is more a result of the LPGA than anything else, which does not have a dress code other than "no jeans". Those women are encouraged to push the envelope, but they will never wear jeans.

The Tours set the tone for acceptable golf attire, which is also more of a marketing tool than anythng else, and I think it is only a matter of time before the PGA Tour allows shorts. But, like the LPGA, they will never allow jeans.

Bill M

You are making my point.  You can't even say that shorts are nicer than jeans.  It only seems to be the case in golf.  And I know you didn't do it - but in this thread folks have been called trash and other disparaging remarks for disrespecting the game with jeans - on a course that allows jeans.  It's a little harsh.

as far as "to much to ask in you're, gramatically butchered sentece above - what is the "asking"?  and who is asking? and why is it being asked?  I'm not really much against jeans on the course or people sacrificing and punctuation on a message board because they are using their cell phone.  But if I had to pick one, I'd allow the jeans and judge people on the grammar.  I would think a few capital letters and appropriately placed commas aren't to much to ask.

I'm kinda kidding about the grammar - but just making a point.  The jeans thing is only one very small step (or maybe 0) from wearing shorts.  It is a little arbitrary.  And if you want to open or play at a course that requires a higher dress code, that is great.  I personally don't wear jeans to the course either.  But to call people trash over jeans is silly - especially when shorts are perfectly acceptable.

1. as you stated I never said people who wear jeans are trash.

2. If  I had to choose which is nicer. I would pick shorts.

The asking is by courses with a dress code,  the why is because they have a dress code. I have never said people who wear jeans are trash, low class or anything like that. I just think they are not appropriate on a golf course.

I will say I am sorry ahead of time for any current and/or future spelling or grammar errors ;-)

Dress codes have definitely eased over the years......

I remember going to a MUNI (albeit a nice MUNI) as a beginner golfer in the early 1990s and being turned away for not wearing a shirt with a collar. A MUNI!!  For you Ohio guys, this was Turnberry Golf Course back when Nick Scarpitti was head pro.... he was a nice guy, but dress code was strictly enforced.  Mainly....."SHIRT WITH COLLAR"...was a must.  Even though the course is in Pickerington, it was owned by the City of Columbus.  (not sure how that came to be)  It's a fun course! I have many fond memories playing this course.   I'm sure they allow wife-beater T-shirts and swim trunks on the course these days...LOL.

I did the private golf thing 96-99...it was a fun 4 years, but I never rejoined the private golf scene after moving away from ohio Dec' 99.

For the past 14 years, I bought annual memberships at 4 different upscale public courses, and dress code is/was never an issue at any of these courses.  I never paid attention to the dress code, but I suppose these courses enforce a dress code.   Everybody seems to dress appropriately...... My 2 cents......If golfers can pay top dollar to play golf....these probably aren't the same golfers who show up wearing wife-beater T-shirts and gym-shorts........My course allows jeans and I have no problem with them.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3857 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!