IGNORED

whats the difference between a putt and a chip?

dchoye
Note: This thread is 2983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

there seems to be a lot of threads about chip/pitch differences, but I feel that I can sometimes 'chip" with a putter and 'putt' with a iron/wedge around the green.

so what are some current thoughts about differences between greenside putt/chip and when would you use one way or another?

Pitch engages the bounce of the club, allowing the club to glide under the ball

Chip engages the leading edge of the club, the club has more of a chance to dig into the ground

As for when to use one versus the other. I am still figuring that out, but I find that I uses chipping less and less. The only time I might use chipping is if I am just off the green to a close pin placement going up hill. Besides that, I think I would be pitching the ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pitch engages the bounce of the club, allowing the club to glide under the ball

Chip engages the leading edge of the club, the club has more of a chance to dig into the ground

As for when to use one versus the other. I am still figuring that out, but I find that I uses chipping less and less. The only time I might use chipping is if I am just off the green to a close pin placement going up hill. Besides that, I think I would be pitching the ball.

I wanted to know opinions about the difference between a putt and a chip , not a pitch and a chip.

Basically I will putt if I know its easier to get it closer to the hole than if I was to pitch or chip. So the fringe has to be in good shape, the grass can't be to high, and I tend to like maybe a yard of fringe. This depends on the fringe condition and how high the grass is. If its cut short, and fast, I can putt from up to a few more yards away. Even then, I might just take a hybrid or 3-wood and putt with that club instead of chipping. I am really finding chipping the ball is something I do less and less as I develop better skills with other more useful techniques.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I've always been of the mindset if you have an option to putt, you should

Driver: :cobra: Amp Cell Blue

Fairway: :cobra: Amp Cell 4 Wood

Hybrid: :cobra: Amp Cell 3H

Irons: :cobra: Amp Cell (4-GW)

Wedge: :titleist: Vokey SM4 60*

Putter: Seemore PCB - Nickel

Ball: :bridgestone: e6

My question was more along the lines of what's mechanically different between a chip and a putt. Not when you would use a putter. Isn't a chip really the same stroke as a putt but with a lofted club ?

It depends. I think chip shot technique varies more than putting technique, depending on the lie, distance and landing conditions. I think it's often useful to think of a chip shot as "putting with loft" - but not to the point of being too pedantic. For instance, some people will argue that good putting technique involves impact conditions such as, say, 2* dynamic loft and an angle of attack that's 3*-4* upward. Good luck with chipping like that. Likewise, I can't think of many people advocating much hand or wrist movement, or forearm rotation, in putting - whereas I think chipping from anything other than very close range needs all that to support a longer stroke.

My question was more along the lines of what's mechanically different between a chip and a putt. Not when you would use a putter. Isn't a chip really the same stroke as a putt but with a lofted club ?

Most putting styles rely on the upper body to perform the stroke.  Legs are quite stationary with weight balanced between them and only the shoulders, arms and in some cases, wrists getting involved.  Good chipping methods will use the lower body as well with the weight starting more on the front leg then transferring even more to the front leg at impact.  A chip essentially involves the whole body.  The weight transfer insures clean contact with the ball.  A chip is described by some authors as the short version of a full iron stroke (Bobby Clampett, The Impact Zone for one).

I recommend reading, The Art of Putting and The Art of the Short Game by Stan Utley for better explanations.  Or you could look at on-line videos.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It seems that I can "chip" with a putter by initiating the motion with my lower body. Particularly useful if I want to " chip" with my putter from long range Whereas a putt stroke with a putter is initiated from the head down.

A chip flies a short distance and rolls a long distance.  A putt rolls the entire distance.  Unless you hit your chip thin and it doesnt fly at all, its not a putt.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I pretty much transverse the same mecanics from swing to pitch to chip to putt.

there are huge differences but I do like to look at and feel this similarity.

it just gets smaler and smaler, with less and less body action. It gets more and more lofted until the putter all of the sudden.

the putter does fly the ball a tiny bit on video. back spin is not good, you can hear it on bad long/lag putts, the ball hisses on the first 2-3 meters/yards.

A putt rolls across the green towards the hole. A chip rockets over the green towards the sand.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 2 weeks later...

To me, the chip is closer to my standard golf swing.  My putting setup and stroke is completely its own thing.  Chips are generally a mini golf swing with your weight forward and with a downward blow.  The putting stroke is a lot more variable from person to person.  My putting stroke is primarily with my right hand like Tiger.  My grip pressure with my putt is also a lot lighter.  I actually let the handle rock just a tiny bit in my hand which shows you how lightly I grip it.  Too much rigidity and tension is not good because you don't have a fine touch over your speed control.  If you put a death grip on the putter, it takes your hands out of it and your hands are what give you the most feel and control.  I also want a level to slightly on the upswing contact with my putter.  These are the big differences for me.

Putting stroke should have a positive angle of attack where a chip would have a little decent.  Some similarities: short strokes, not a lot of rotation, grip, handle up, arms bent but different ball positions.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the replies. I think I settled (for myself) that a chip "runs" toward the pin while a putt "rolls" toward the hole

I like the "rockets" analogy  E.J. but I prefer " run" .

Now I know that just a general statement. There are many types of chips from A-Z but that's basically where I like to start from.

Lots of good ideas I never consider like the angle of attack

Suggest you look at 'Furyk On Chipping' as found on UTube. He offers some good info on this topic. He advocates a simple motion, feet close, rock the shoulders , small weight transfer, and various clubs to suit the need.  Pin close, chose a wedge; pin far, go for the 6i and let the ball jump onto the green and run to the hole.   I would post the URL but UTube forbidden in my current location.

• 9 months later...

Have been working on "chipping" techniques and there is so many ways to "chip"  that I dont think I have a standard chip shot.

Also I seem to "chip" my best when I try to get the ball rolling as soon as I can so the best method for me is what Ray Floyd says that is "putting with loft"

If i can visualize the spot I want the ball to land and start rolling to the hole, i feel most confident of getting the ball close.

This is what I would call the "bump" shot the "pitch putt" "popper" "tapper" (invent your own term)by using a lower lofted club.

Also been using the LW too to "chip" with by delofting and this is what I would call modern day "chipping" , I just forward press and hold the angle similar to Phil's H&H.;

the ball pops up higher , less roll than classic "chips"

A putt rolls across the green towards the hole. A chip rockets over the green towards the sand.

I have done that a few times.

There were times I would practice my putting, and chipping using only my chipping club. Truth be known I was probably just being lazy by not grabbing my putter. Then again, using only the leading edge of of whatever chipping club I was using took some thought on those putting strokes.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!