IGNORED

Political Correctness - How Far Should it Go? Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 3620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should the owners of the Redskins, Blackhawks, Indians be forced to change their teams name?

• Yes, it's insensitive to American Indians
    • No, it's a non-issue
    • Who cares, this is a golf forum

I didn't mean the new name.  What if the 4,500,000 really like the existing name, and would be offended if it were changed?

What makes you think that someone who says they are "not offended" by the word redskin, would necessarily be offended if the name was changed?

Its also not the same thing, as I think @Golfingdad explained earlier.  The harm caused to a person by a racist team name is not the same as the harm caused by losing a team name that you like.  And they could continue to honor native americans with another name.

I still think the "Washington Potomacs" might work.

Let me think about this one a bit, being from North Potomac, MD myself.

I'm very close to there--Rockville.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm very close to there--Rockville.

My grandmother is in a senior care facility just outside Rockville.

Go Poto? Go Tomacs?

Trying. . .hard. . .to. . .make. . .Potomacs. . .work. :-$

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

There are over five million native americans.  If only 2.5 million people are extremely offended, and the majority are not offended--then would you say its ok for Dan Synder to offend those people for the sake of saving his brand value?

The NFL claims 9 out of 10 don't mind the name (which is highly unreliable, given the source).  That's more than 500,000 that are offended.  Isn't that enough?

How many people are offended by those of us in the US who eat beef and chicken?  My guess is it's probably more than the number of Native Americans that are offended by the Redskin name.  Should we shut down the chicken and beef industry in the US because people are offended by the flesh eaters and the practices they deem offensive within the industry?

People were offended by the owner of Chick-fil-A should they be forced out of business because the owner has viewpoints that some found offensive?

We could come up with thousands of examples where special interest groups are offended by something someone is saying and or doing, we will never make everyone happy.

Joe Paradiso

How many people are offended by those of us in the US who eat beef and chicken?  My guess is it's probably more than the number of Native Americans that are offended by the Redskin name.  Should we shut down the chicken and beef industry in the US because people are offended by the flesh eaters and the practices they deem offensive within the industry?

People were offended by the owner of Chick-fil-A should they be forced out of business because the owner has viewpoints that some found offensive?

We could come up with thousands of examples where special interest groups are offended by something someone is saying and or doing, we will never make everyone happy.

You're really grasping for straws here.  None of those are comparable to the offense felt by an individual member of a community from a racist and derogatory word used to describe people of that community.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

You think Sterling is a racist-Probably right-but then claim that vegariatians objecting to my meal at Texas Roadhouse are the same as people offended by the racist "Redskin"?--Youve clearly wandered off the reservation pun intended.[quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/70604/political-correctness-how-far-should-it-go-should-the-washington-redskins-change-their-name/216#post_1004030"]How many people are offended by those of us in the US who eat beef and chicken?  My guess is it's probably more than the number of Native Americans that are offended by the Redskin name.  Should we shut down the chicken and beef industry in the US because people are offended by the flesh eaters and the practices they deem offensive within the industry?  People were offended by the owner of Chick-fil-A should they be forced out of business because the owner has viewpoints that some found offensive?  We could come up with thousands of examples where special interest groups are offended by something someone is saying and or doing, we will never make everyone happy. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

My grandmother is in a senior care facility just outside Rockville.

Go Poto? Go Tomacs?

Trying. . .hard. . .to. . .make. . .Potomacs. . .work.

I think they should name it after the politicians.

Washington Scoundrels .

Go Drels!!!

You're really grasping for straws here.  None of those are comparable to the offense felt by an individual member of a community from a racist and derogatory word used to describe people of that community.

You don't get to determine what's offensive and what's not for everyone.  You don't get to decide if Redskin is a racist term, you can have an opinion, I can have one too.

Native Americans should decide what they want.  Why won't you let them have their own voice rather than feeling the need to speak on their behalf?

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

You don't get to decide if Redskin is a racist term, you can have an opinion, I can have one too.

Neither do you. That ship has sailed - it's a racist term - or do you disagree?

Quote (Wikipedia):
In the United States, "redskin" is generally regarded as a racial epithet. [24] The American Heritage style guide advises that "the term redskin evokes an even more objectionable stereotype" than the use of red as a racial adjective by outsiders, [25] while others urge writers to use the term only in a historical context. [26] The US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) rejected an application to register "Redskins Hog Rinds" because it "consists of or includes matter which may disparage or bring into contempt or disrepute persons, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols". [27] A decision is expected soon in the pending USPTO case to cancel the trademarks of the Washington NFL team for the same reason. [28]

Quote dictionary.com:

noun Slang: Often Disparaging and Offensive.

a North American Indian.

BTW, other racist terms are defined similarly. They don't all say "racist" right in the definition.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You think Sterling is a racist-Probably right-but then claim that vegariatians objecting to my meal at Texas Roadhouse are the same as people offended by the racist "Redskin"?--Youve clearly wandered off the reservation pun intended.

Maybe I've wandered a bit...but the idea I'm trying to convey is that a minority of people being offended can't be a legal precedent for "forcing" a business or team to change their name or business practices.

We have to be cognizant of how we handle situations like these because in this litigious society we may find that once this happens the legal precedent will allow others businesses to be attacked by special interest and the PC police as well.

Sterling is a racist and the NBA had addendums added to their contracts that would allow them to force Sterling to sell, but they were hesitant to test the addendums in court.  Instead found, the NBA used other methods to achieve their goal because had it gone to court and a precedent was set they would be limited in how they could handle future situations.

The same goes for Snyder, the NFL would much prefer he change the name on his own, because once this goes to court it becomes a mess.

Joe Paradiso

Not sure this is a valid argument. According to statistics, more than 3.2% are vegetarians. 1 million are vegans. There are 2 million Native Americans registered as such. Technically many Latinos and Mexicans are also native Americans. However, no one is sure how many people are offended by the name.

So, asking the football leagues if they are offended by the name is like asking me if I am offended of being called a Cossack.

As to Chick-fil-A, I eat there because I like the way they make the chicken, but that's despite the fact that the owner came out public about his beliefs. The fact that he did means that I could be labeled the same way as him by some people. I am sure many people do not go for that very reason. I know three families who refuse to eat there, and they believe what the owner does. It's not really good for business. He should have just stuck with being good at deep frying chicken filets.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Neither do you. That ship has sailed - it's a racist term - or do you disagree?

BTW, other racist terms are defined similarly. They don't all say "racist" right in the definition.

I don't disagree but I also don't think a word on its own is offensive or racist, it's how it's used and the tone that it's delivered in that makes it offensive.  IMO, the Indians mascot is much more offensive in context than the Redskin name and logo.

Here's the complete wiki list of racist / ethnic slurs of which Yankee and Canuck are listed.  Admittedly, the wiki indicates that "Canuck" isn't overly offensive to Canadians but it did make the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs_by_ethnicity

Joe Paradiso

I think you're just picking the wrong place to fight the PC Police.  I get the idea behind that, but you keep beating around the bush here because there's no conclusion other than that the word is offensive.  You keep saying that I don't get to decide, but I'm not.  You say its up to the Native Americans, but they have spoken.  So then you demand better data because you know it doesn't exist.

The only person in this discussion who as said it is not offensive is @MS256 .  The rest of the supporters just say "well, I don't know that NA's are offended and until you prove that they are, I won't agree that Snyder should change the name."  That's hogwash.  Its a rope-a-dope.  You know the word is offensive.  The dictionary says so!  You know NA's are offended, many have said so! 4 guys Dan Synder found in Arizona doesn't disprove that.

A wise man once said, "You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run..." ;-)

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Not sure this is a valid argument. According to statistics, more than 3.2% are vegetarians. 1 million are vegans. There are 2 million Native Americans registered as such. Technically many Latinos and Mexicans are also native Americans. However, no one is sure how many people are offended by the name. So, asking the football leagues if they are offended by the name is like asking me if I am offended of being called a Cossack. As to Chick-fil-A, I eat there because I like the way they make the chicken, but that's despite the fact that the owner came out public about his beliefs. The fact that he did means that I could be labeled the same way as him by some people. I am sure many people do not go for that very reason. I know three families who refuse to eat there, and they believe what the owner does. It's not really good for business. He should have just stuck with being good at deep frying chicken filets.

Chick Fila's sales skyrocketed after their controversy in '12. I think it's a fair bet that Snyder's revenues would decline if he changed the name. The silent majority is powerful.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I think you're just picking the wrong place to fight the PC Police.  I get the idea behind that, but you keep beating around the bush here because there's no conclusion other than that the word is offensive.  You keep saying that I don't get to decide, but I'm not.  You say its up to the Native Americans, but they have spoken.  So then you demand better data because you know it doesn't exist.

The only person in this discussion who as said it is not offensive is @MS256.  The rest of the supporters just say "well, I don't know that NA's are offended and until you prove that they are, I won't agree that Snyder should change the name."  That's hogwash.  Its a rope-a-dope.  You know the word is offensive.  The dictionary says so!  You know NA's are offended, many have said so! 4 guys Dan Synder found in Arizona doesn't disprove that.

A wise man once said, "You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run..."

If they changed the name, I would honestly feel bad for the NA's that currently like it.  That pretty much sums up my side of the debate.

Well that, and I also agree somewhat with @newtogolf that it could set a bad precedent.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

You guys are unbelievable.  You can't honestly believe that there are not large numbers of Native Americans who are offended by the word "redskins."  Anecdotes aside, large organizations that represent Native Americans are vehemently opposed to it.  Even if you personally know some who are not offended, that doesn't mean others can't be.

For the record, I think they should change the name. But he's spot on about people finding reasons to get offended, even if it may not fit perfectly in this example.

Some people are also rightfully offended,-Minimizes their feelings to say stupid shit like "they're looking to be offended."--Fact: "Redskin" has been offensive and derogatory for over a hundred years.

Let's rename the team Washington Niggers.-Then when that fails we'll call them the Washington Chinks.

First off, if you can't understand the difference between the two "slurs", you're even dumber than everyone here thinks you are. Secondly, as I posted above, I agree that the name should be changed, but like I said above, it doesn't mean he's wrong about everyone finding reasons to get offended.

• Upvote 1
Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

If they changed the name, I would honestly feel bad for the NA's that currently like it.  That pretty much sums up my side of the debate.

Well you better have data showing that NA's "like" the current name, then! :-P

Seriously though, its quite a stretch to equate "not offended" with "like."   Also, you have to feel more "bad" for the NA's who are offended by the overtly racist team name, than you would for those who like it, right?

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

So totally not what I said.--Redskin and Nigger are equally bad terms.

Wrong. You just don't seem to grasp it. Using Blackskins or Brownskins to reference African-Americans would be a MUCH more appropriate comparison than a term white slave owners used to demean their slaves for years...

The term redskin didn't originate in the same hate-filled manner as the other term you love to throw around. If you can't see the difference there, there's no helping you.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Why don't they just change the name to the "Washington Cherokees" or find a Native American tribe that was/is indigenous to the area around DC and make this go away?

Note: This thread is 3620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!