IGNORED

My Swing (billchao)

billchao

I'd start really looking at your putting - you had three 3 putts in 9 holes and a couple of misses from close in. Maybe look at the 'Bead, Read and Speed' section of LSW again? Just seems a bit tough to lose the strokes you should be gaining with your long game.

To be fair, I had one 3-putt and it was on a stupid hole location on a 3% slope or something. I hit my first putt at the right speed, missed the cup an inch high, and watched the ball gain speed as it passed the hole. The other putts were from off the green :-P (one was right up against the rough and I opted to putt it with the leading edge instead of hitting a toe-down wedge) But yes, to your point, I do miss more short putts than I should. I aim my putter 2° open and no matter what I do, square never looks right to me. I've been working on standing slightly open to my aimline but it there's still an adjustment period.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The other putts were from off the green  (one was right up against the rough and I opted to putt it with the leading edge instead of hitting a toe-down wedge)

I see what you're getting at, but if you putt from just off the green, you'd still want to get down in two, right?

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I see what you're getting at, but if you putt from just off the green, you'd still want to get down in two, right?

If it's from 33' or more (I forget the exact number), even PGA Tour professionals are more likely to 3-putt than 2-putt. I'm just looking to get it within 10% of my distance at that point, which I could be better at. Making the resulting putt still brings us back to me missing short putts. I'm not going to worry too much on the putting until I get a couple more rounds in where my long game isn't a completely disaster. Once I know that is taken care of, my priorities will shift (because the glaring weakness will be different).

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

If it's from 33' or more (I forget the exact number), even PGA Tour professionals are more likely to 3-putt than 2-putt.

Sorry, I don't want to take it any more off-topic, but that's just miles off the truth:

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.147.html

I probably worded my first post badly (apologies!) but my point was more that your long game isn't a total disaster - at least based on this round - and you could pick up some cheap strokes pretty easily by looking at the putting. It's more a compliment than anything else, honest! :-)

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Sorry, I don't want to take it any more off-topic, but that's just miles off the truth:

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.147.html

Hmm. I don't know, I remember hearing it from a reputable source. Like I said, I could be remembering the distance wrong, but there is a pretty sizable gap between 25' and 33' that these stats include. It's not really important anyway :-)

I probably worded my first post badly (apologies!) but my point was more that your long game isn't a total disaster - at least based on this round - and you could pick up some cheap strokes pretty easily by looking at the putting. It's more a compliment than anything else, honest!

It's ok, thanks for the compliment. I appreciate the dialogue, too. Helps me see things from a different perspective. I'm just not ready to trust the long game is okay yet, since I've been burned in the past. I really wanted to make sure it wasn't just a fluke round more than anything else.

I want to believe the long game is (at least for my skill level) sorted out, but I just can't bring myself to. I knew I was going to play 18 today, so I wanted wait to comment until the round was over so I could tell you something along the lines of, "see, I told you I needed more long game work," but then I went and did this:

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/billchao/round/456973

71.2/126, 6.397 yards. Shot 85 (+13). It's good for a 12.9 differential that's going to drop my handicap by a whole stroke next revision.

Okay @b101 maybe I should spend some more time on my putting :beer:

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

If it's from 33' or more (I forget the exact number), even PGA Tour professionals are more likely to 3-putt than 2-putt.

From 33' they're as likely to three-putt as they are to one-putt.

You heard it from a reputable source, but you mis-stated the actual info. :)

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

From 33' they're as likely to three-putt as they are to one-putt.

LOL that's a pretty significant difference from what I stated. I'd say at least I got the important parts right, but no. No, I didn't :doh:

Bill

My Swing Thread

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/billchao/round/456973

71.2/126, 6.397 yards. Shot 85 (+13). It's good for a 12.9 differential that's going to drop my handicap by a whole stroke next revision.

Okay @b101 maybe I should spend some more time on my putting

Awesome work - progress is all we're after :-D . I'd definitely look at the lag putting as that seems to be where you're losing strokes, just focusing on taking the hit out of it and looking at distance only. Keep up the good work, that's a great round!

From 33' they're as likely to three-putt as they are to one-putt.

Knew it was something like that, but my copy of LSW is packed at the bottom of a box somewhere ahead of our house move :-(

Nice Bill! The Bill Plan +1 ;-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awesome work - progress is all we're after :-D .

Thanks! I was surprised at first that I was hitting the ball so well, but after a while I just accepted it and got my swagger on ;-) [quote name="b101" url="/t/70666/my-swing-billchao/480#post_1167569"]I'd definitely look at the lag putting as that seems to be where you're losing strokes, just focusing on taking the hit out of it and looking at distance only.[/quote]The putting in general needs more work. Much easier to work on the swing at home on my net. Putting requires going out. There's no hit to my stroke though, I just don't feel the distances properly. [quote name="mvmac" url="/t/70666/my-swing-billchao/480#post_1167570"]Good playing @billchao , keep it up!  [/quote] [quote name="nevets88" url="/t/70666/my-swing-billchao/480#post_1167601"]Nice Bill! The Bill Plan +1 ;-) [/quote]Thanks, guys! Steve, that's an apt name. I'm just winging it, too ;-)

Bill

My Swing Thread

Bill, you have lot of entries here which I have not read so apologies if you have covered it, but would like to know if you have a conscious downswing  thought or feel, How about impact?

EDIT: I noticed in one of your videos that you are trying to ingrain a floaty feel for downswing. Is that it or there is more?

Vishal S.

Bill, you have lot of entries here which I have not read so apologies if you have covered it, but would like to know if you have a conscious downswing  thought or feel, How about impact? EDIT: I noticed in one of your videos that you are trying to ingrain a floaty feel for downswing. Is that it or there is more?

No need to apologize for anything, V. I know I post a lot and I'm rather long winded, so I don't really expect anyone to keep up. Especially when every new post contradicts the previous one ;-) That's pretty much my downswing feel. I used to pull down with my arms in a failed attempt to get them more in front of me in the downswing, but that just made me steep. Now I'm trying to keep them more in front of me in the backswing and just turn through the downswing (I don't feel the hips sliding because I do that naturally), allowing the body movements to affect the wrists. I'm really just focused on hitting the ball solidly.

Bill

My Swing Thread

No need to apologize for anything, V. I know I post a lot and I'm rather long winded, so I don't really expect anyone to keep up. Especially when every new post contradicts the previous one

LOL!

That's pretty much my downswing feel. I used to pull down with my arms in a failed attempt to get them more in front of me in the downswing, but that just made me steep. Now I'm trying to keep them more in front of me in the backswing and just turn through the downswing (I don't feel the hips sliding because I do that naturally), allowing the body movements to affect the wrists. I'm really just focused on hitting the ball solidly.

Ok. Honestly with arms and club in front (almost inline with ball and target line), soft hands and wrists and torso wound up like yours there is not much to do except unwind through the ball. You don't NEED a downswing feel. You will rarely hit offline and should almost have no curve. So what are your current misses? Thin, fat, push hook, pull slice, straight push, etc.

Vishal S.

Honestly with arms and club in front (almost inline with ball and target line), soft hands and wrists and torso wound up like yours there is not much to do except unwind through the ball. You don't NEED a downswing feel. You will rarely hit offline and should almost have no curve.

I'm slowly learning this. As long as I can get myself to a good A4 and A5, the rest just happens on its own. My best shots are pretty much dead straight at my target. [quote name="GolfLug" url="/t/70666/my-swing-billchao/480#post_1171101"]So what are your current misses? Thin, fat, push hook, pull slice, straight push, etc.   [/quote]For the irons, thin or slightly on the toe. I'll hit pull-draws because I set up with the clubface pointing too far left. For the driver, more toe hits than on center, with the occasional push. I was over-drawing everything before I adjusted my driver for a fade bias, but I still miss with big sweeping draws on my Bertha Mini 1.5. Every once in a while I'll drop kick one, too.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Swings from today:

Still working on keeping the hands more in front of me and less deep at A4. Let the left knee kick in a bit more to allow the hips to turn better and keep the upper body more in sync with the lower body in the downswing.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Downswing changes are looking good.

Make sure to keep that backswing short.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram