IGNORED

The Average Golf Handicap Hasn't Improved for the Last 30 Years (Anyone have data on this)

Note: This thread is 1663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes and no. The rules forum caused a bit of a spike in my HC .

I guess that's why learning the rules early on can have some psychological advantages. :smartass:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes and no. The rules forum caused a bit of a spike in my HC .

LOL.  Me, too.   And I am no longer in speaking terms with golf rule enthusiasts in this forum :-O;-) .

Handicap data Icas posted is from USGA and not account for weekend warriors I'd imagine.   I am a bogey golfer.   On weekend and casual rounds which I am paired up with random two some, I am often the best player of the four.   In our club tournament (29 players), I am the one with worst handicap and probably the worst player.

So, Lihu's math maybe still be ok.  But I still like to see his school report card.   It may explain his other posts somewhat :-P;-) .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

So, Lihu's math maybe still be ok.  But I still like to see his school report card.   It may explain his other posts somewhat .

Ha. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've learned all sorts of math since joining this forum, like: 1 Lost Ball - 2 Strokes = A BREAKFAST MULLIGAN!!! And even some high brow metaphysics, like: If a ball is hit into the forest and no one is around to hear me say "provisional", am I really lying in 3?

• Administrator
Handicap data Icas posted is from USGA and not account for weekend warriors I'd imagine.   I am a bogey golfer.   On weekend and casual rounds which I am paired up with random two some, I am often the best player of the four.   In our club tournament (29 players), I am the one with worst handicap and probably the worst player.

So, Lihu's math maybe still be ok.  But I still like to see his school report card.   It may explain his other posts somewhat .

No, it's not okay. His math was dividing 36.4 by two. Even if you got the correct answer (I'd wager anything I have that 18.2 is not the true average), doing it the wrong way is still "bad math."

10% of golfers have handicaps. That's what's shown on the chart. It accounts for the "weekend warriors" that have a handicap index.

Given two seconds of thought, I'd put the average index of ALL golfers (five or more rounds per year) at closer to 25. I reserve the right to change my mind. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10% of golfers have handicaps. That's what's shown on the chart. It accounts for the "weekend warriors" that have a handicap index.

Given two seconds of thought, I'd put the average index of ALL golfers (five or more rounds per year) at closer to 25. I reserve the right to change my mind. :)

The 10% of golfers being represented on that chart makes a lot of sense.

Is the index really 25 for all golfers? That seems a little on the low side to me.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
Is the index really 25 for all golfers? That seems a little on the low side to me.

That's just my (two-seconds-of-thought) guess. I'm not counting people who play twice a year.

Remember, too, that your index is more about your potential than your average. Someone who has a 25 index could easily average 105 or whatever.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Someone who has a 25 index could easily average 105 or whatever.

Painfully true.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

No, it's not okay. His math was dividing 36.4 by two. Even if you got the correct answer (I'd wager anything I have that 18.2 is not the true average), doing it the wrong way is still "bad math."

I wasn't being serious about my math comment directed to Lihu, which is why I put the two emoticons after it.   I see no way that 18.2 will be anywhere near average golfer score.   But I am sure Lihu is self deprecating himself on the subject.  For all I know, he may have aced Calculus in high school. :-D

25 seems to be around the ball park based on my observation.   When one counts every stroke per golf rule, it does not take too much to score 110 for weekend golfers (those who don't have established official handicap, and and play for fun occasionally  - my own definition).   I think that's why many don't even keep score. :-D

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I wasn't being serious about my math comment directed to Lihu, which is why I put the two emoticons after it.   I see no way that 18.2 will be anywhere near average golfer score.   But I am sure Lihu is self deprecating himself on the subject.  For all I know, he may have aced Calculus in high school.

25 seems to be around the ball park based on my observation.   When one counts every stroke per golf rule, it does not take too much to score 110 for weekend golfers (those who don't have established official handicap, and and play for fun occasionally  - my own definition).   I think that's why many don't even keep score.

I think HC is somewhat open ended on the better side of the spectrum. There is no best HC it can be +4, +8?

A 25 HC is someone who scores something like 96-100 on a par 71 course depending upon the course rating. That still seems a little too low for me to believe is an average value.

A 35+ HC would score 110, and this seems closer to reality.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I think HC is somewhat open ended on the better side of the spectrum. There is no best HC it can be +4, +8?

A 25 HC is someone who scores something like 96-100 on a par 71 course depending upon the course rating. That still seems a little too low for me to believe is an average value.

A 35+ HC would score 110, and this seems closer to reality.

I'd guess that of the 10% of golfers that maintain a handicap, a higher percentage play rather regularly and / or belong to a golf / country club that mandates they maintain a handicap.  If that's the case I'd expect the average country club handicap is around 20-25 which is in line with Erik's estimate.  Remember we're talking average, so out of that 10% you have a high number of single digit handicappers which offset the 30+ handicappers.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

No, again, handicap is potential, not average ability (or score). Your ten WORST differentials count towards your average, but not your handicap.

No, again, handicap is potential, not average ability (or score). Your ten WORST differentials count towards your average, but not your handicap.

Is the average score usually going to generate a handicap close to the same as the ten lowest scores? If someone shoots 80-100 with half the time 80 half the time 100, then their handicap would be single digit, does this happen that often? Does it just mean that this golfer has the potential to be consistently 5 to 6 strokes better than someone who shoots consistently 90?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

Lihu, when you're a 25, you can easily have differentials of 35 or so in your last 20 rounds.

That's all I'm saying. Your 25 index might have rounds with 18s and rounds with 30s in them, and THOSE are your best 10. Your worst ten can have some pretty bad scores.

The lower your handicap, the more tightly bunched your good and bad rounds tend to be.

• 5 years later...

Hi

I started playing golf 17 years ago when I was 33, I'm 51 now.  I use a TM M6 Driver and can drive it 240, my score now for 18 holes is 84.  I intend to lower my handicap to a single digit.  For me my handicap has improved and lowered.

Shams.

Note: This thread is 1663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!