IGNORED

Which Configuration? 4-SW or 3-PW?

Note: This thread is 3057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Purchasing a new set of Callaway X-20's and wanted to know which configuration makes more sense? I plan on also purchasing a Driver and 5W but would have nothing between 5W and 4I.

I'd take the 3-PW and get stand-alone wedges. Odds are you'll need them either way. I'd suggest three additional wedges in lofts of 52, 56, and 60 (Titleist Vokeys are good, but pick whatever gives you the most confidence standing over the ball). If you have a hard time hitting your 3 iron,

then get a hybrid, but only if it works. No point in struggling with a hybrid if you can't hit it.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Purchasing a new set of Callaway X-20's and wanted to know which configuration makes more sense? I plan on also purchasing a Driver and 5W but would have nothing between 5W and 4I.

Try the Callaway X hybrid to match the X20's. Lots of forgivness and a bit of draw bias.

Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

I went 4-GW. The GW with my set is a 50* and I love it. There is just enough cavity to make it forgiving, but the head is not huge and has a great feel to it. It replaced a 51* Cleveland and I have never looked back. I have a 3 Hybrid and a 58* Vokey. I am looking to put a 54* in as well.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

i picked up the 4-sw and got a 3i hybrid ( callaway x 3 hybrid). very happy w/ the set up.

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

buy 4-PW and buy some good wedges. (that's what I did)

Yeh i agree, hybrids and wedges. Maybe even go 5-PW and then play some good wedges (vokeys sm are gr8.

Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

I go with 5-PW and have 3 hybrids a driver and a 3-w. I have forged blades which I like for there accuracy. I'd buy the 3-pw only so I can resell them for the most $ at some future point the 3 & 4 irons won't see any use from me. I like to have clubs that I feel comfortable hitting and know I have a decent chance of scoring with.

• 4 years later...

1 Driver

3wood

5 Wood

4 Hybrid

5i to GW

putter

Who uses 3, 4 irons anymore

especially when they have hybrids and 7 woods that are easy to hit.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by 5ironDraw

3-PW. Love my three iron.

I find the 3 Iron to be far more reliable than any hybrid i''ve owned off the tee .   If you want straight, the 3 iron is tough to beat.  In fact, I'm in the market for a cavity backed 2 iron ..

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

For me it's easy, 3-PW. I love my 3-5 irons and really can't stand the equivalent hybrids. I wish the CB1s I got came with a 3-PW configuration, or even had the option to buy the 3 iron individually.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Guessing you already bought a set. I have 5-GW and two hybrids that I love. When I changed sets I bought individual clubs and have yet to buy a 6-iron. Likely to fill that in over the winter but may choose to add another hybrid instead. Waited at first because I thought I might want a 64* wedge but do not see any need for that now. Since my clubs were special order for lie and length, the time was the same buying individually and the premium per club was almost nothing.

Originally Posted by PJStyles

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

PJStyles

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

• 4 years later...
Spoiler

None of those configurations work for me.  The long irons are set in three degree increments, the rest are set in four degree increments, the loft / length correlation on all of them is a club and a half strong, and over fifty years experience helps me know more than the major OEMs know about my game. 

I had to be willing to think way outside the box, but eventually I got it figured out.

You really need to be able to request the exact loft and loft increments that you need.

Then you can configure your set.

In my case, I also bag a driving iron that's a shot-specific utility and not part of the set's linear loft progression.

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

On 12/3/2015, 7:01:50, trombettista_vecchio said:
  Hide contents

None of those configurations work for me.  The long irons are set in three degree increments, the rest are set in four degree increments, the loft / length correlation on all of them is a club and a half strong, and over fifty years experience helps me know more than the major OEMs know about my game. 

I had to be willing to think way outside the box, but eventually I got it figured out.

You really need to be able to request the exact loft and loft increments that you need.

Then you can configure your set.

In my case, I also bag a driving iron that's a shot-specific utility and not part of the set's linear loft progression.

You can get exact Loft increments, Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 irons are made with 28 different lofts 20-47° you can pick the loft increments you want.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Loft gapping is overrated (especially if you haven't had them checked)

Distance is king. I have a 23* 4h that goes about 185 and my 16* hybrid only goes about 200-205 but I love the feel and the confidence it gives me. I could get a 3h for that 195-190 distance but I decided to stick with the extra wedge.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

On 9/22/2011 at 6:07 AM, Elmer said:

1 Driver

3wood

5 Wood

4 Hybrid

5i to GW

putter

Who uses 3, 4 irons anymore

especially when they have hybrids and 7 woods that are easy to hit.

My 4 iron is one of my favorite clubs in my bag.

4 - SW for me.  My 3 iron and 4 iron didn't produce big enough of a difference to justify both.  Rather carry a 5 wood which has more height (and thus stopping power) or extra wedge.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

On 8/13/2007 at 3:24 PM, PJStyles said:

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

PJStyles

4-SW, there's not usually a lot of need for a tight gap between a 5W and 4i.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The OP made the decision 8 years ago and got his X-20s. I hope he's happy with his clubs. He's probably bought another set in the mean time. This thread has been necro'ed twice. Nice job of exhuming.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 3057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!