IGNORED

GHIN#

KyleAnthony
Note: This thread is 3183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just looked up Diablo Golf, I don't think it is associated with GHIN, looks like it's just a handicap app. If that is all you use you don't have a GHIN number. You would have to join a club and start fresh.

One minor nit.  I don't think he would have to start fresh, he could enter his past scores into GHIN once he gets his number.  I'm not sure if there is a limit as to how far back he can go, but I don' t think he has to restrict his posting to rounds played after he got his number, which start fresh could have implied.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One minor nit.  I don't think he would have to start fresh, he could enter his past scores into GHIN once he gets his number.  I'm not sure if there is a limit as to how far back he can go, but I don' t think he has to restrict his posting to rounds played after he got his number, which start fresh could have implied.

You quoted a post I made several months ago concerning whether or not Diablo Golf interfaced with GHIN. Starting fresh was a reference to starting a new subscription with GHIN because they didn't accept incoming scores from Diablo. The timeline to post scores is determined by the handicap committee. Most want scores to be posted ASAP if not the day of because of the peer review thing. Even the on-line clubs typically have cut and dried procedures for this.

Dave :-)

Any player can have a GHIN handicap without joining any club..........

All you need to do is pay the modest HC fee.   Choose any public course near you as a home course.............  scores can be added via internet so don't even know if this is relevant.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 1 year later...
So I don't have to join a club to establish a GHIN handicap? Can I do this online? Or do I have to go to a course and register?

I've been using TheGrint.com.  It's an on-line/mobile site that keeps handicaps.  They say that they are USGA registered and their handicaps are valid for USGA sanctioned events.

• Upvote 1

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

I also use Thegrint... you get a USGA Compliant Handicap when you Join them.  They will Assign you to a Type 3 Club (virtual club) so you can have a USGA Handicap.

You can contact them anytime and ask them anything... they are very helpful.

You can use ushandicap.com they are licensed through the USGA you can just get a handicap for free or if you pay like $30 per year they find a club near you and you join it, its not GHIN. But, If you have a Handicap Index on that site, then your handicap is official and recognized with the USGA.

So I don't have to join a club to establish a GHIN handicap? Can I do this online? Or do I have to go to a course and register?

You can join an "eclub" through the Washington State a Golf Association. http://thewsga.org/membership-home/join-or-renew/join-the-wsga-new-member/ You'll receive a GHIN number and can enter your scores on-line. There's also a simple mobile GHIN app that you can use with your phone once you have your GHIN number. No need to mess with any other services that are USGA "compliant" when you can have the real thing, just as easily.

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I also use Thegrint... you get a USGA Compliant Handicap when you Join them.  They will Assign you to a Type 3 Club (virtual club) so you can have a USGA Handicap.

You can join an "eclub" through the Washington State a Golf Association.

http://thewsga.org/membership-home/join-or-renew/join-the-wsga-new-member/

You'll receive a GHIN number and can enter your scores on-line. There's also a simple mobile GHIN app that you can use with your phone once you have your GHIN number.

No need to mess with any other services that are USGA "compliant" when you can have the real thing, just as easily.

As a couple of the responses have indicated, you can get a valid USGA Handicap Index through online services.  The USGA Handicap Manual requires that your scores be subject to peer review by a Handicap Committee of your club, so that's where the "club membership" requirement comes from.  The manual allows this "Club" to be an online club, as referenced in both of the posts I've mentioned.  If you want to read more, you can look up the Handicap Manual online at:

http://usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Handicap-Manual/

The various forms of a valid "Club" are defined in Section 2.

The Ghin system is simply a for-pay handicap computation system that sells its services to qualifying state or regional  golf associations.  It seems to have become the most commonly used service, but its definitely not the only way that valid USGA handicaps are maintained.  For the best portability, however, I'd strongly suggest that you consider working through your State Golf Association, and that will probably mean using the Ghin system.

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

To those who think that $35 is too much to pay for a universally recognized handicap through your state or regional association, I say "HUH??"

If the price of about one ball per month is too much to pay, then you either don't need an "official" handicap, or the game of golf is too expensive for you.  If you can't afford the cost of a lost ball, then what are you doing when you hit a ball into the woods or weeds?  Spending 10 minutes searching? :blink:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Well that was unexpected. I've had some bad rounds lately and it still came in as a 13.6. Kind of bad timing bc I have my first tournament coming up on the 11th. Although now I am not sad but happy I had a bad last hole on a course we're I was on pace for a 79 or 80.

I also use DiabloGolf, which is sanctioned as an official USGA club, and the index they give you is 100% accurate, but it's not a GHIN#, but it can be transferred if and when you start playing in a league and/or tournaments and get an official GHIN number. Because 36.4 is the max official index, I've been holding off on getting involved in the local club until my index is more respectable, so DiabloGolf is good enough.

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!