IGNORED

The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread

KyleAnthony
Note: This thread is 3788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

I'm curious. What was you ball speed off that?

That strikes me as a pretty long carry for a 104mph SS, no?

I tend to be a little suspicious of carry/total distance numbers from monitors in places whose only job is to sell golf clubs.

KnowwhatImean?

I think it's a good thing to be suspicious when they can adjust certain parameters without you knowing.

Using the FlightScope Optimizer, I got about 255 carry. 13 degree launch angle would be 248 carry. 155 ball speed at 13 degrees is 260 yards.

I'm totally skeptical about these flight simulators at Golfsmith and Dick's. None have told me the truth. Some tell me what I "want" to hear, and others tell me I'm a total wuss.

They report a range of carry distances from 190 yards to 285 yards, where my average approximate course distances are 230 carry on flat ground. So, I suppose they are accurate with +55/-40 yards accuracy?

Flightscope or Trakman might be more accurate, but these are not provided at Golfsmith nor Dick's.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My experience is along with golf store sims being inaccurate the staff rarely understands how to use it correctly and interpret the data, right or wrong.

Dave :-)

Haha noted I went in there to compare my 9.5 xhot to a 8.5 xhot pro. The numbers were similar so I didn't trade my head for theirs lol but now I know not to focus on their numbers much haha

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

So have @tristanhilton85 and @KyleAnthony met up yet?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

So have @tristanhilton85 and @KyleAnthonymet up yet?

Haven't had a chance to meet up and practice with Kyle yet. I only got one day off this week and I had stuff to do with the wife... next week is a possibility, but I'm not sure. It's going to happen soon though.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I played 9 holes the other day at Sierra lakes. 4 pars 3 bogeys 1 double and 1 quad. 6/7 fairways 3/9 greens 18 putts. Chipping was terrible. Felt good I didn't miss a green by more than 5 yards. The quad was 3 chips and 3 putts. 60* went right under the ball for one. Barely caught the top of the face. So ya. Gotta put in some time chipping

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

I played 9 holes the other day at Sierra lakes. 4 pars 3 bogeys 1 double and 1 quad. 6/7 fairways 3/9 greens 18 putts. Chipping was terrible. Felt good I didn't miss a green by more than 5 yards. The quad was 3 chips and 3 putts. 60* went right under the ball for one. Barely caught the top of the face. So ya. Gotta put in some time chipping

I assume using a 60 it wasn't so much a chip shot as it was a high pitch or even a flop?  Out of rough?  If you are trying to hit actual chip shots with a 60, that's your first mistake, unless you are really desperate to make it grab and don't have much room to work with...  Less loft=more room for error with short game shots, especially if you have some green to work with... and in general the lower you keep the ball, especially with the short clubs, the easier it should be to control.

I won't discourage you from putting in time chipping, but I'd just say that, for me, I'd have to have several rounds of solid ball striking and incredibly bad chipping before I would start focusing on my chipping practice.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Yeah bad chipping is usually seemingly random. With no practice it could be very different just a day later. And the reality is the need to chip at all comes from a long game miss. Bad luck and bad lies being the result.

I assume using a 60 it wasn't so much a chip shot as it was a high pitch or even a flop?  Out of rough?  If you are trying to hit actual chip shots with a 60, that's your first mistake, unless you are really desperate to make it grab and don't have much room to work with...  Less loft=more room for error with short game shots, especially if you have some green to work with... and in general the lower you keep the ball, especially with the short clubs, the easier it should be to control.

i normally chip with my 56* unless the flag is a bit away then i'll use my 50*. i used a 60* because it was maybe 5 yards off and i didn't have much room to land it and stop it before the flag

I won't discourage you from putting in time chipping, but I'd just say that, for me, I'd have to have several rounds of solid ball striking and incredibly bad chipping before I would start focusing on my chipping practice.

ya maybe thats a good idea to focus just on irons

Yeah bad chipping is usually seemingly random. With no practice it could be very different just a day later. And the reality is the need to chip at all comes from a long game miss. Bad luck and bad lies being the result.

ya im not close to perfect with my approaches, it was a little windy but thats still no excuse to miss less than 50% of greens

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

ya im not close to perfect with my approaches, it was a little windy but thats still no excuse to miss less than 50% of greens

i think you mean missing more than 50% ;-) but as you were saying above, a bit of time practicing some chipping wouldn't hurt but don't sacrifice the long game practice for it, we all know that improving full swing shots is the key the dropping that handicap

Henry

My guess is if you polled the lower handicap golfers here few hit more than 50% GIR. It's the quality of the miss that sets them apart. Having a reasonable chance to get up and down, not being stuck with a horrendous lie due to a bad miss is a big part of their success. The days I score best aren't because my stats suddenly improve just that I'm not hitting it all over the course.

My guess is if you polled the lower handicap golfers here few hit more than 50% GIR. It's the quality of the miss that sets them apart. Having a reasonable chance to get up and down, not being stuck with a horrendous lie due to a bad miss is a big part of their success. The days I score best aren't because my stats suddenly improve just that I'm not hitting it all over the course.

Yeah I only hit 49% greens all of last year.

@KyleAnthony you really need to learn and figure out what actual attainable stats and goals are at the moment for you.  Hitting 1 in 3 greens is probably going to be pretty typical for you right now.  If you were to average between 7-8 GIR(39-44%) in 18 holes by the end of the season, that would be some pretty decent progress.    I averaged 44% as a 5HC the year before.

Nate

:tmade:(10.5) :pxg:(5W/7W) MIURA(3-PW) :mizuno:(50/54/60) 

Yeah I only hit 49% greens all of last year.

@KyleAnthony you really need to learn and figure out what actual attainable stats and goals are at the moment for you.  Hitting 1 in 3 greens is probably going to be pretty typical for you right now.  If you were to average between 7-8 GIR(39-44%) in 18 holes by the end of the season, that would be some pretty decent progress.    I averaged 44% as a 5HC the year before.

And I hit only 39% of my greens over the last couple of years.

What are your GIR stats from the fairway? It's one thing to miss a green due to an errant drive, but looks like Kyle was in the FW all day.

What's a fairway? :-P (J/K ... I hit 41% of the fairways over that same time frame)

I actually have no idea because the app I use (golfshot), at least as far as I know, doesn't actually keep tabs on this.  The info is there, obviously, but I'd have to go through it myself, I think, manually.

What's a fairway?   (J/K ... I hit 41% of the fairways over that same time frame)

I actually have no idea because the app I use (golfshot), at least as far as I know, doesn't actually keep tabs on this.  The info is there, obviously, but I'd have to go through it myself, I think, manually.

Sounds familiar my 2013 GIR and FIR were nearly identical as well. I have no idea why other than for me usually the first miss causes another simply because the angles and lie are bad. But FIR doesn't mean much to me. Not for the reasons the experts here state, which I fully agree with, just that FIR could be a lot shorter drive than I would consider acceptable but still in the fairway. The 200ish line drive that runs out of steam but in the fairway leaving me a very long approach. I suspect there is something there to be learned. If nothing else relative to my index and stats I miss more often than I don't. But I as I get "better" the quality of the misses are better. Tomorrow should be interesting, first lesson with new instructor.

What are your GIR stats from the fairway? It's one thing to miss a green due to an errant drive, but looks like Kyle was in the FW all day.

OK, you made me curious, so I went back 5 rounds and came up with a few numbers.  In those 5 rounds, I hit 28 fairways and 19 greens (not counting par 3's).  13 of those GIR's are from the fairway, and 6 of them are from the rough.

So there is clearly a correlation for me ... I hit the green twice as often from the fairway.  Of course, the reason is not because I struggle to hit out of the rough or anything, but rather because most of those fairway misses are wild misses that put me behind trees, in hazards, or OB.  (This is why I still consider my driver to be my biggest weakness)

Note: This thread is 3788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!