IGNORED

The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread

KyleAnthony
Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@KyleAnthony I think your intentions with this thread were good, and it's just taken a bit of a turn.

Trust me when I say that everyone here (for the most part) really wants to see you succeed and reach your goals. You just have to make sure you understand what your goals are, and make sure you set yourself up for success in reaching them. Maybe the question you need to ask is "I'm willing to put in the work. Here's where I am in my game now, what is a realistic expectation for the next 12 months?". Guys like @iacas and @mvmac work with a lot of guys just like you that really want to set goals and achieve them. Let those guys help you set goals that make sense.

Once you understand what your goals are, you can start working towards them. Several members have offered some great advice throughout this thread. Just do yourself a favor and accept the advice. When I was younger, my dad took me to see a local pro a few times over the course of two or three years, and I was really resistant to change. I thought I had it figured out and I didn't need their help. It wasn't until I realize that she really wanted to help me and knew a hell of a lot more about the game than I did that I started to see real results. This website is full of people that really want to help you and know a hell of a lot about this game. Just make sure you are willing to take the advice.

I'm rooting for you to achieve whatever goals you set for yourself. You seem to have a desire to accomplish them and have the work ethic required. That's probably the best quality a golfer can have. I wish you all the best.

This is so true, and I can attest to that from a personal level.

I do not have any real goals other than the fact that I like the feeling of hitting the ball pure, and it would be nice to make the pure shots the norm rather than the occasional exception. If I were to set some handicap goal getting to a solid 10 to 15 handicap is more or less my goal, and I am getting closer to it. There are ups and downs and now that I am getting the ball closer to the greens in less shots, but I am finding that there are plenty of other stupid things I can do to keep myself from scoring lower. Of course, I am sure as I progress I will find that there are more things to improve, and they get more subtle and difficult to find and fix.

The main thing is that I did not put any time restrictions on it, it's supposed to be fun.  I am reading this thread with great interest for potentially future goal setting purposes.

I wish Kyle the best of luck attaining better golfing skills and possibly getting to scratch in the near future.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I suppose the "you're not going to reach your goal" guys on here are trying to temper your expectations so you don't quit? Otherwise I don't see the value of posts like "I don't think you can do it, but good luck, I hope you do." Almost wish we could delete those posts/portions of posts and just focus on a guy with a crazy goal. I love the stats posts that point out what's required to be X handicap, those are helpful. Even the, "there's a much bigger gap between 0 and 5 than 5 and 15" are cool. But the "you can't do it, but I hope you do" posts are like the "with all due respect, you're an *******" statement. And I mean this with all due respect.

To the OP, more range time and more videos of your range time man. You're playing entirely too much. You and I are similar. I'm focusing on my short irons for the rest of this month. Sounds like you're going to work on half wedges. Pelz's clock approach is what a lot of the pros use to dial in those distances. There's posts on here that describe it.

I suppose the "you're not going to reach your goal" guys on here are trying to temper your expectations so you don't quit? Otherwise I don't see the value of posts like "I don't think you can do it, but good luck, I hope you do." Almost wish we could delete those posts/portions of posts and just focus on a guy with a crazy goal. I love the stats posts that point out what's required to be X handicap, those are helpful. Even the, "there's a much bigger gap between 0 and 5 than 5 and 15" are cool. But the "you can't do it, but I hope you do" posts are like the "with all due respect, you're an *******" statement. And I mean this with all due respect.

To the OP, more range time and more videos of your range time man. You're playing entirely too much. You and I are similar. I'm focusing on my short irons for the rest of this month. Sounds like you're going to work on half wedges. Pelz's clock approach is what a lot of the pros use to dial in those distances. There's posts on here that describe it.

Does this method require a very consistent swing? As I read through Pelz's "Short Game Bible" at the library, it appeared to assume that the reader has a very good and consistent swing. I was thinking that this type of book was intended for a 5 trying to get down to a scratch?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If you have a goal and a time set for that goal, then, by definition, there has to be some sort of consequence if that goal is not reached.  There has to be an "or else" of some kind.  That could mean quitting, or more likely, something like "oh no!  I've only made it 50% of the way to my goal in 90% of the time, so now I have to try and work 1000% harder for the next 10% to reach it."

We're just saying ... be gung-ho, be excited, but also be realistic, and don't burn yourself out by setting unreachable goals.

Could we leave out the "pessimistic" stuff and just be 100% positive the whole time?  Of course.  But will that help him at all?  That sort of reminds me of the stories about banning dodgeball from elementary schools because some kid may feel left out, or giving all of the kids trophies even if they didn't win anything.  Is that really helping them?  Or is that just delaying the time it takes them to learn about dissapointment, and perhaps making it even harder to accept when they do learn?

You should just know, as should kyle, that most everybody on this thread is trying to be helpful ... isn't that what matters?  You have your way, I have mine, and everybody else has theirs.  By comparison, go read some past "I'm gonna go pro" or "I'm gonna be scratch" threads and see how different they are to this one.  People are being extremely supportive and nice in here.  (And I think that is great)

I agree goals should be realistic and simply pointing it out when they aren't isn't dismissive. Also important to keep in mind there are some very good golfers here that have put a lot of work into it, years of work that haven't played down to scratch. When you see someone saying casually saying hey I'll get to scratch, pro or whatever and they've just passed the bogey golfer mark it's a little odd. You may as well being saying tonight I'll win the lottery. When you start a thread like this you should understand there is going to be criticism and doubt. A better approach would have been to ask how much time the scratch golfers here had to put into it to get there. Maybe test the waters a bit and get an idea for what a realistic interim goal would be. Breaking 80 a few times and completely getting out of the 90's would be a start.

Dave :-)

@KyleAnthony I think your intentions with this thread were good, and it's just taken a bit of a turn.

Trust me when I say that everyone here (for the most part) really wants to see you succeed and reach your goals. You just have to make sure you understand what your goals are, and make sure you set yourself up for success in reaching them. Maybe the question you need to ask is "I'm willing to put in the work. Here's where I am in my game now, what is a realistic expectation for the next 12 months?". Guys like @iacas and @mvmac work with a lot of guys just like you that really want to set goals and achieve them. Let those guys help you set goals that make sense.

Once you understand what your goals are, you can start working towards them. Several members have offered some great advice throughout this thread. Just do yourself a favor and accept the advice. When I was younger, my dad took me to see a local pro a few times over the course of two or three years, and I was really resistant to change. I thought I had it figured out and I didn't need their help. It wasn't until I realize that she really wanted to help me and knew a hell of a lot more about the game than I did that I started to see real results. This website is full of people that really want to help you and know a hell of a lot about this game. Just make sure you are willing to take the advice.

I'm rooting for you to achieve whatever goals you set for yourself. You seem to have a desire to accomplish them and have the work ethic required. That's probably the best quality a golfer can have. I wish you all the best.

thank you. yes @mvmac has gave me notes on my swing which were VERY helpful. I am really thankful for the people on here giving me advice or helping be understand the game better.some of the info in this thread has honestly opened my eyes to some stuff i didn't even know i was doing wrong

This is so true, and I can attest to that from a personal level.

I do not have any real goals other than the fact that I like the feeling of hitting the ball pure, and it would be nice to make the pure shots the norm rather than the occasional exception. If I were to set some handicap goal getting to a solid 10 to 15 handicap is more or less my goal, and I am getting closer to it. There are ups and downs and now that I am getting the ball closer to the greens in less shots, but I am finding that there are plenty of other stupid things I can do to keep myself from scoring lower. Of course, I am sure as I progress I will find that there are more things to improve, and they get more subtle and difficult to find and fix.

The main thing is that I did not put any time restrictions on it, it's supposed to be fun.  I am reading this thread with great interest for potentially future goal setting purposes.

I wish Kyle the best of luck attaining better golfing skills and possibly getting to scratch in the near future.

thank you a lot. i wish you the best as well in this crazy game of golf

this is how i felt initially. i think if the people who tell me i can't do it would help me with some ideas of realistic goals that would be very much appreciated. when I'm told i can't do it and I'm not good enough, but no reason as to why or how i can fix it, it just frustrates me because i really would like to improve and if someone out there sees me do something that isn't a good idea or a realistic goal then please help me with a realistic goal

If you have a goal and a time set for that goal, then, by definition, there has to be some sort of consequence if that goal is not reached.  There has to be an "or else" of some kind.  That could mean quitting, or more likely, something like "oh no!  I've only made it 50% of the way to my goal in 90% of the time, so now I have to try and work 1000% harder for the next 10% to reach it."

We're just saying ... be gung-ho, be excited, but also be realistic, and don't burn yourself out by setting unreachable goals.

Could we leave out the "pessimistic" stuff and just be 100% positive the whole time?  Of course.  But will that help him at all?  That sort of reminds me of the stories about banning dodgeball from elementary schools because some kid may feel left out, or giving all of the kids trophies even if they didn't win anything.  Is that really helping them?  Or is that just delaying the time it takes them to learn about dissapointment, and perhaps making it even harder to accept when they do learn?

You should just know, as should kyle, that most everybody on this thread is trying to be helpful ... isn't that what matters?  You have your way, I have mine, and everybody else has theirs.  By comparison, go read some past "I'm gonna go pro" or "I'm gonna be scratch" threads and see how different they are to this one.  People are being extremely supportive and nice in here.  (And I think that is great)

i do understand the intentions are good. i really do. i really would like some realistic goals if mine are just way off. I'm hoping Erik or someone who has achieved the status of scratch can point me in the right direction and what is a good goal. what i SHOULD be working toward

I agree goals should be realistic and simply pointing it out when they aren't isn't dismissive. Also important to keep in mind there are some very good golfers here that have put a lot of work into it, years of work that haven't played down to scratch. When you see someone saying casually saying hey I'll get to scratch, pro or whatever and they've just passed the bogey golfer mark it's a little odd. You may as well being saying tonight I'll win the lottery. When you start a thread like this you should understand there is going to be criticism and doubt. A better approach would have been to ask how much time the scratch golfers here had to put into it to get there. Maybe test the waters a bit and get an idea for what a realistic interim goal would be. Breaking 80 a few times and completely getting out of the 90's would be a start.

i understand the doubt and i mean there are obvious reasons as to why there is doubt. i know its a very impossible goal, but i thought it would be fun to shoot for it. I feel very fortunate that there are so many good golfers on here and some of the advice is amazing from them.

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

i'll post up another video of my swing since i bowed my feet out a little more and don't let my right knee fall

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

@Harmonious put it quite well what it takes to be a scratch golfer in the other thread discussing what was required to get to scratch.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/71758/whats-preventing-you-from-playing-scratch-golf#post_934923

From the looks of it, it's really hard. The GIR part is amazingly hard. I hit a few fringes that I can putt from, but that doesn't count as GIR. I think he is saying you need the confidence, skill and ability to aim the club face minutely to actually land the green and stick it.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

played 11 holes yesterday 30 MPH winds with gusts of 60mph. had to call it quits it was too crazy out there.

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

played 11 holes yesterday 30 MPH winds with gusts of 60mph. had to call it quits it was too crazy out there.

Never play in that stuff, it will screw a swing up worse than anything, also I heard avoid practicing with wind at your back (left-right) probably may cause posture issues.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Never play in that stuff, it will screw a swing up worse than anything, also I heard avoid practicing with wind at your back (left-right) probably may cause posture issues.

good to know. ya it gets crazy windy in beaumont area here. it was pretty entertaining to hit the green and have to run up and mark it before the wind blew it off. haha when a tree fell and sand was blowing at us we left. lol but today no wind so should be fun

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

oh on a side note. my left pinky has been locking up in the mornings like when i wake up. i looked it up and its called trigger finger i guess. any who ever have this? I'm thinking next week i'll take a break on golf and see if it clears up

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

oh on a side note. my left pinky has been locking up in the mornings like when i wake up. i looked it up and its called trigger finger i guess. any who ever have this? I'm thinking next week i'll take a break on golf and see if it clears up

You might be over gripping your clubs. I had this problem (though not as bad as yours sounds) when I tried to grip too hard. For me it was my right pinky.

If you just loosen up on the grip, I think it will go away on it's own. At least it did for me, and I was hitting 400 balls per day when I got it.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

You might be over gripping your clubs. I had this problem (though not as bad as yours sounds) when I tried to grip too hard. For me it was my right pinky. If you just loosen up on the grip, I think it will go away on it's own. At least it did for me, and I was hitting 400 balls per day when I got it.

Oh good. Ya I'm not going to play until next Friday. Hoping it goes away. So I played today and did ok. Shot a 90. My putting was a little off and got an 8 on a par 4. Ugh lol 12 FIR 6 GIR

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

ended up playing yesterday. did well off the tee with my 3 wood. didn't miss a fairway with it. got greedy with my driver and missed 3 out of 4 fairways i used it on. no more golf for me until friday. probably hit up the range tuesday.

I have a question for everyone. with my 3 wood and driver i tend to not keep my arms extended through impact, I'm bringing them into my body. yesterday i kept my arms extended and did great with my 3 wood. does the extended arms carry over to iron shots as well? i play a fade but when extended with 3 wood it was dead straight

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

• Administrator

I have a question for everyone. with my 3 wood and driver i tend to not keep my arms extended through impact, I'm bringing them into my body. yesterday i kept my arms extended and did great with my 3 wood. does the extended arms carry over to iron shots as well? i play a fade but when extended with 3 wood it was dead straight

Your arms collapse because you swing pretty far to the left. "Long arms" helps send the path to the right a little.

There's your answer.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Your arms collapse because you swing pretty far to the left. "Long arms" helps send the path to the right a little.

There's your answer.

Far to the left as too close to the body?

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!