IGNORED

I think I can become a scratch golfer after 1 year of playing

GITrDONE
Note: This thread is 5875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

you can do it but you will probably need help from other golfers and instructors as well as a great mental approach to the game, that above all else to me is what hampers players from becoming as good as they can be even if they dont have a perfect swing. I was down into the low 80's after a year and shot a 73 once at the end of that year, it can be done. I did it with no instruction, of course i only shot in the 70's twice that year, but considering I had once shot a 65+ on 9 holes in a highschool match it was huge progress (Although to be honest, my first real 18 holes of golf i shot something around 105-108).

If you have some natural talent, do it, unlike what another person said about putting, i believe a good chipping/pitching game is more important toward being a scratch golfer, obviously you have to be able to make birdie putts but its much easier to make a 3 footer compared to a 6-8 footer and that comes from better chipping/pitching.

edit: and for people saying it cannot be done, Calvin Peete said he did it after a year on his playing lesson with the pros segment on the golf channel. So it can be done.(assuming he wasnt lying, which there would be no reason for him to)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can. Ill give you 10 % if you really have the intangibles you say. Ive only played a few games and today I shot a 37 on 8 holes (thunderstorm).

Carry Bag
Hyper-X 9 Degree Stiff
Redline 13 Degree Stiff
Halo 19 Degree Hybrid Stiff
BH-5 3-PW Stiff SV Tour 52 Degree Stiff Rac Chrome 56 Degree Stiff Scotty Cameron Oil Can Santa Fe 33" Burner

I'd say that I would like some of whatever the op was smoking when he created this thread.

OP, do you have a fullltime job? A girlfriend / wife? Do you have unlimited time and money to pursue this?

Lamebums doesn't have a job or a girlfriend and he he is only an 11.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

i think its more realistic to drop your handicap by atleast 5 by 1 year. i mean consistant not hitting a great round once in a while.

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

Scratch golfer's have the ability to make shots, even at a 9 I was/am just hitting shots, and saving strokes by playing a lot. Usually I save shots, chipping and putting

It takes a PLENTY of practice and a PLENTY of knowledge to be able to make shots consistently. There's all kinds of shots you need a good command over (punch, knock down, fade/draw, flop - just to name a few).

Sure I can shoot a 76 or 77, with no wind, and a warm day, but give me wind, and cold there's no chance. A scratch is just that, they can shoot scratch no matter what the conditions. This year I went from an 11 to a 9, and I am back up to a 10, but I play the same course 50 times a year, I have played roughly 10 other courses this year (once each) Is my handicap lower because I play the same course all the time - perhaps.

In one year, is it possible to have control and command over all kinds of shots, and get the experience necessary to play different types of courses, in all types of conditions? Is your answer to that yes?

Good golfer's take advantage of a golf course, and play it.

For me anyways...... I make good shots, and follow the course, and play safe in order to keep myself out of trouble, to score good.

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

I'd say that I would like some of whatever the op was smoking when he created this thread.

Bingo, I neither have the time (work, wife, and 2 young children) nor the desire to put the time in (practice everyday, hit roughly 100 balls a day, play 4-5 times a week) to become a scratch golfer in 1 yr...I hope him all the best and think it's possible if the time is put in, but still, that's alot of energy to spend in 1yr imho.

It's possible to do but takes a lot of practice. This is my second year of golfing and mine is a +0.2 but I'm playing atleast 18 holes a day and spending a good amount of time practicing. The biggest thing is just being consistent with ball striking and working on your game from 100 in as much as possible. First year will be a stretch I got mine down to a 5 by the end of the year but it is possible. just practice and play smart and if you do have to take bogey take it and not try to pull off a miracle shot that will put big numbers on your scorecard. but the main things for me was short game and hitting a lot of balls to become a consistent ball striker
good luck

Driver:Titleist 905R YS6 Stiff
3 Wood: Mizuno F-50 15 Degree
Irons 3-9: Nike Pro Combo Tour
Wedges: 48,52,60 Titleist Vokey Oil Can
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5Ball: Pro V1

Anything is possible :)

Unlikely, but if you want to commit the time, energy and money, go for it.

I know several scratch/near scratch players, and as my handicap keeps coming down, I see the areas they excel in. Better short game and better putting.

In my case for example my ball striking is at the point where I feel my scoring is not as good as my game. This really stems from not practicing my short game enough. My distance control with my wedges isn't there when playing different shots. My lag putting is not really strong, and I still struggle to regularly make anything over 3 feet.

Can it be done, sure. There are some people who have been able do it in the past I am sure. Can you do it? That is for you to figure out.

Good luck.
Driver: TM R7 SuperQuad 9.5*, RE*AX Stiff
3 Wood: TM R7 TP, 13*, Fujikura Stiff

Hybrids: TM Rescue Dual TPs 2, 3, and 4, Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
Irons: 2-PW TM R7 TP, DG S300Gap Wedge: Callaway X-Tour 52*Lob Wedge: Callway X-Tour 58* PM GrindPutter: Odyssey White Steel #5Ball: Callaway HX-Tour2, 3,...

Why stop your goals at scratch for the year? If you're going to put in the time and effort you might as well go for the gusto! I.e. make it a career! Because it is obvious that you have the time to do this and factors such as family/work etc are not in the equation... so go for it! I wish I could do it... and I'm pretty sure I could get down to scratch level or better if I devoted the time but I'd be sacrificing alot (my son's development and relationship with wife) and the pressure of having to make something at the end of it (i.e. money) would likely kill this dream .

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

I love golf

If you have enough monkeys and enough typewriters ,one of them will eventually write a great novel.

Hitting a few “amazing shots” is about like one of those monkeys writing a two word sentence. A long way from a paragraph, forget about a novel.

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

If you have enough monkeys and enough typewriters ,one of them will eventually write a great novel.

+1 Good comments.

I hit a "few amazing shots" too. And I've been hitting those shots for 30 years. I'm still a 12.2 index. I saw Rocco Mediate on the "Playing Lessons from the Pros" on the Golf Channel, and he says to learn the driver and the short game. If you can get the driver in play and really USE your wedges and putter, then the irons will take care of themselves. I'm usually in play off the tee, I have a decent short game, but Ive never been below a 9.6 index. That's because in spite of Rocco's advice, you still need to hit some pretty good irons if you want makable birdie putts. In other words, you need all the tools, mental and physical, and only a very small percentage of players ever find a way to put both sides of the equation together. I give him a 1% chance...no more. And I'm being generous. Personally I think he's a bit

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

. . . . only a very small percentage of players ever find a way to put both sides of the equation together.

That's true. Only a very small percentage of players

ever find a way to put both sides of the equation together. Much less within a year . . .

Not just no, but HE NO! Even if you play 4 times a week and practice daily -- unless you have one of the top 100 instructors in the world helping you, there is absolutely no way.

Realistically, you could probably reduce your handicap to 10 or 12 in a year. If I played twice a week, I could likely do that also. As is, I play once or twice a month and I've broken 100 only once.
What's in My Bag?

Driver: 10.5° KZG SP-700 with Fujikura SIX Regular Flex Shaft | 2h: Adams A7OS Stiff | 3h: Adams A3OS Stiff | 4h: Nike Slingshot Steel | 5i-PW: Adams A2OS | Sand Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56° 3-dot | Lob Wedge: Cleveland CG15 60° 3-dot | Putter: Fisher CTS-9 Polyurethane Face

Sorry, but I have another thought to add. Or rather questions:

1) Are you atheletic?
2) Do/did you play other sports and were you at least great at them? I.e. not a bench warmer.
3) Can you skillfully peel an apple in one long strand!
4) Do you choke under pressure or do you welcome it? I.e. if your life depended on it could you sink that 10 foot putt 9 out of 10 times? Or would your heart be beating so fast it would measure on the ricter scale?
5) Do you like challenges? If so, this thread will only help you achieve your goals!

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

I have dropped 10-12 shots in the last year without a single actual lesson, so while I think it's POSSSSSSSIBLE, you really have to be able to devote all of your time and money.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

I don't think you can rack up enough experience to perfect the course management side of the game in one year.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

can the op reply, or give us an update????????

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

Note: This thread is 5875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!