IGNORED

TST SoCal Spring 2014 Outing - May 4, 2014 @ Black Gold Golf Club (Yorba Linda, CA)

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3650 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What course should we hold this outing at?

• Red Hawk (Temecula)
    • Temecula Creek Inn (Temecula)
    • Black Gold (Yorba Linda)
    • Other (Please specify in post)

@KyleAnthony - one spot left just for you.

i really wish i could make it. i just started my new job friday and they have me training wednesday, friday and sunday. there better be a summer outing haha that way i can request it off now that i can.

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

What do you mean? I can't tell if this is a positive or negative comment and I've never been there so you have me curious. :)

It's both. the course is amazingly well kept. I don't think I had a bad lie in the fairway, first cut, or tee box all day. Even the one shot I had to hit out of a divot was a good lie. Some of that rough though... my goodness, I had a few pitches come up... let's say considerably short. I also topped a shot with my putter from the first cut, green-side. How do you top a shot with your putter? Leave it to me. The bunkers were hit or miss. Two had lots of sand, and I could hit good shots out of them. Two others I couldn't even dig in my feet. Fortunately, not much grass in the bunkers though, so that wasn't my comment :-) Also a lot hillier than what I'm used to, and I'm not yet figured out how to determine what the ball will do from such a lie. And I think I lined up wrong most of the day -- I hit enough shots that were straight and into trouble (to say nothing of those that curved). It's going to be a fun day. I've given some thought to plans for how I'm going to play the course this time through. I think I can break 100 this time (I haven't added my score from yesterday yet, but I'm sure it's triple digits).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's both. the course is amazingly well kept. I don't think I had a bad lie in the fairway, first cut, or tee box all day. Even the one shot I had to hit out of a divot was a good lie. Some of that rough though... my goodness, I had a few pitches come up... let's say considerably short. I also topped a shot with my putter from the first cut, green-side. How do you top a shot with your putter? Leave it to me. The bunkers were hit or miss. Two had lots of sand, and I could hit good shots out of them. Two others I couldn't even dig in my feet. Fortunately, not much grass in the bunkers though, so that wasn't my comment :-) Also a lot hillier than what I'm used to, and I'm not yet figured out how to determine what the ball will do from such a lie. And I think I lined up wrong most of the day -- I hit enough shots that were straight and into trouble (to say nothing of those that curved). It's going to be a fun day. I've given some thought to plans for how I'm going to play the course this time through. I think I can break 100 this time (I haven't added my score from yesterday yet, but I'm sure it's triple digits).

I've heard it's windy there ... How was it yesterday?

I've heard it's windy there ... How was it yesterday?

Sure, I'll blame the wind. That sounds good. Maybe that's why the ball kept moving in the air. Yeah, kinda windy. Glad I wore pants (I was debating shorts). I'll probably bring a sweater this weekend, just in case.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I don't know what shindig means by "windy"---I left Mission Lakes CC with winds 38-40 and gusts to 60+, so everything there was a gentle breeze at best (for me).

I will say that I must be 'spoiled', I felt the greens were pretty shoddy with numerous unrepaired ball marks on every green.  Rough did get pretty deep in spots (mostly where Mike hit his ball :-D ), but that"s just poor course management on his part :whistle: .

There are some challenging spots on the course--blind shots on a few holes, forced carries(but not extreme) and some tight shots as well as the up, down, side hill fairways.

But it's not near as challenging as PGA West TPC Stadium that I played on Tuesday!

Look forward to meeting the bunch of you on Sunday.

Jeff

An armed society is a polite society--Robert Heinlein

Sure, I'll blame the wind. That sounds good. Maybe that's why the ball kept moving in the air. Yeah, kinda windy. Glad I wore pants (I was debating shorts). I'll probably bring a sweater this weekend, just in case.

It's gonna be really hot this week (mid 90's) but then it cools down again by Sunday. Projected high is 75.

It's gonna be really hot this week (mid 90's) but then it cools down again by Sunday. Projected high is 75.

Mid 90s is really hot?

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Mid 90s is really hot?

Not by my standards; then again, I might want to play your home course on or around my birthday this year (late June), and that wouldn't really be possible if I thought mid 90s was hot. But mid-90s is shorts weather if it isn't too windy.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Jeff

Yep look forward to meeting you as well Jeff

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Mid 90s is really hot?

LOL ... OK, maybe not REALLY hot, but mid 90's is plenty hot for me. :beer:

Not by my standards; then again, I might want to play your home course on or around my birthday this year (late June), and that wouldn't really be possible if I thought mid 90s was hot. But mid-90s is shorts weather if it isn't too windy.

I grew up in Fresno, so I'm used to warm weather and have played plenty of golf (and other sports) on triple digit days ... but having lived in coastal Socal for the last 17 years, I've sort of developed an immunity to the heat, so anything over 90 starts to feel pretty toasty for me. :-P

I don't know what shindig means by "windy"---I left Mission Lakes CC with winds 38-40 and gusts to 60+, so everything there was a gentle breeze at best (for me).

I will say that I must be 'spoiled', I felt the greens were pretty shoddy with numerous unrepaired ball marks on every green.  Rough did get pretty deep in spots (mostly where Mike hit his ball), but that"s just poor course management on his part.

There are some challenging spots on the course--blind shots on a few holes, forced carries(but not extreme) and some tight shots as well as the up, down, side hill fairways.

But it's not near as challenging as PGA West TPC Stadium that I played on Tuesday!

Jeff

Swamper,

I would agree with you regarding the course, would have thought it would be in a bit better shape for the cost.

Also for all you guys that have not played that area yes it gets hot/no shade and can be very windy out there.

But you all should have fun after all it is a TST outing.. :banana:

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Swamper,

I would agree with you regarding the course, would have thought it would be in a bit better shape for the cost.

Also for all you guys that have not played that area yes it gets hot/no shade and can be very windy out there.

But you all should have fun after all it is a TST outing..

Yep, yep.

Any word on groups, etc?

Also, does anyone else find it humorous that the sand traps are flooded on google maps???

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Yep, yep.

Any word on groups, etc?

Also, does anyone else find it humorous that the sand traps are flooded on google maps???

Yeah.  Not just flooded, but they look like they are full of copper-infused toxic water.  WTF??

BTW, my cap for April 15th is 7.6.  However, if we are going to use our May 1 handicaps, then it looks like I'm going to likely be a 7.9.

I'm currently at a 8.2, but as of May 1 I will be an 8.3. Wouldn't you know it, that tenth of a point WILL make a difference for me since that is the cutoff between 9 and 10 strokes (assuming the blue tees with a slope of 130). Obviously, my preference would be to use the more recent May 1st numbers, but I'll go with whatever you guys decide.

As I mentioned to Tristan, my uncle doesn't have an official index - I had pegged him at an 18 but that is a guess. Whenever we bet, I end up giving him 4 strokes a side, so why don't we give him an 16.2.

We can go with the numbers from May 1st.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Yeah.  Not just flooded, but they look like they are full of copper-infused toxic water.  WTF??

So are you saying that the bunkers are truly hazards?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

So are you saying that the bunkers are truly hazards?

Suddenly, I'm not all that jealous that I can't go. . . :bugout:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3650 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!