IGNORED

My Swing (Valleygolfer)

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am just getting a thread started for my swing. More videos should follow.

I've been Playing Golf for: I started back playing 5 years after a 20+ year hiatus, serious at the game in 2010.

My current handicap index or average score is: 11.2 /84

My typical ball flight is: Driver is a fade or power fade... Irons are generally straight and the pulls here and there

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Power fade off the tee.

This video was without warm up and a back that is only 75%. I was a little uncomfortable with how close I was to the door but the camera position made me leave it in that location. I felt like I might have decelerated a little because of proximity and taking a little of the load off my back. No one has to put a lot of effort into this video unless they want to just tell me how good I look :-D

I think my wrist broke down a little early and a little flip from the deceleration.

P.S. I don't want any shit about my slippers B-)

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Erik and I just filmed a video about this in San Diego, will be published in the next few days.

So feet are too square, knee are rotated inward. Makes it very hard for the knees to do their thing, left flexes, right decreases in flex. This knee "linkage" is what allows the hips to turn which allows the shoulders to turn. Notice the hips are actually translating back and the limited amount the shoulders/torso have turned.

Here what I recommend. Turn both feet out 20-25 degrees, rotate the knees out, will feel a little "bow" legged. Will encourage the proper knee linkage I mentioned.

Then make practice backswings turning about 80-90 degrees by the time the left arm is parallel to the ground.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks for the input Mike. I did notice the translation of the hips too. I also noticed you 5sk guys had your feet pointed out and was going look into that stance. I have to admit that the foot position looks a little awkward to me.

I had not swung a club for a couple of weeks seriously so I am a little stiff as well. I pretty much picked up the club and swung it for the video. My foot placement is not unusual however so I will try the suggestions.

• Administrator

Erik and I just filmed a video about this in San Diego, will be published in the next few days.

That's funny. I saw the video and then almost posted the same thing.

I'll upload it tomorrow.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for the input Mike. I did notice the translation of the hips too. I also noticed you 5sk guys had your feet pointed out and was going look into that stance. I have to admit that the foot position looks a little awkward to me.

I had not swung a club for a couple of weeks seriously so I am a little stiff as well. I pretty much picked up the club and swung it for the video. My foot placement is not unusual however so I will try the suggestions.

May seem a little awkward but all the cool kids are doing it so.... B-)

Like I said there's a few reasons for it (backswing and downswing), @iacas likes to say you get some things for free doing it. Can't tell you how many players we've suggested this too and it's made immediate positive changes to their swings.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

That's funny. I saw the video and then almost posted the same thing.

I'll upload it tomorrow.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@Valleygolfer .  The first thing I was advised to do in Evolvr lessons was to flare the feet.  It take a couple of weeks to get used to, but it really helps. It also, IMO, takes stress off the left knee and lower back.  I have arthritis in my left knee and the flaring really helps. It helps getting weight forward too.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I tried the stance yesterday and it was not uncomfortable. I think I should be able to change to it easily (I hope).

I tried the stance yesterday and it was not uncomfortable. I think I should be able to change to it easily (I hope).

Yeah feeling uncomfortable at first is a good thing, means you're doing something different :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Lots of good pieces in that swing. I think there is much you can do in the setup and backswing to make some big improvements in a hurry. Mike and Erik already pointed out the set up, but to confirm some of the backswing pieces it would be nice to have a down the line swing.

• Upvote 1

Michael

Thanks @mchepp I feel pretty good about the motion, but felt like it was time I got some tuning from the guys here. I will post a couple of new videos once the back quits pinching me at the end of my swing. Not a lot of pain but I do not mess around with my lower back when it's not right.

Flared the feet some, not sure if it was enough and knees were still in and not "bowed". Wrists break down a little early still... Not a lot of practice time. Need to work on it. I need to PRACTICE more before I post again.

I think you could stand to flare your feet out, especially the front foot even more, and yep your knees don't appear to bowed at all, so you might feel as though your riding a horse to get that feel. Might suggest you feel as though your doing a bow legged squat, without hitting a ball, I did that to get a better feeling of the bowed leg thing.

Flared the feet some, not sure if it was enough and knees were still in and not "bowed". Wrists break down a little early still... Not a lot of practice time. Need to work on it. I need to PRACTICE more before I post again.

Agree, rotate those knees outward, will really make the pivot stuff easier. Next video you film, try to get to a 80-90 degree turn by the time the left arm is parallel to the ground on the backswing. Then hit it from there. The backswing will probably end up looking like a full swing but I think that would be a good feel for you.

Mike McLoughlin

Here is a DTL video. The changes to the stance were really good with the driver but the iron shots were frequently fat. The shot I recorded was 166 mph ball speed and 303 yard drive according to the simulator.

Sorry it is so dark, the lighting was poor and my phone in 160 fps doesn't utilize light well.

Here is a DTL video. The changes to the stance were really good with the driver but the iron shots were frequently fat. The shot I recorded was 166 mph ball speed and 303 yard drive according to the simulator.

Obviously it's still a new feel, keep at it, good to hear it went well with the driver.

Mike McLoughlin

[QUOTE name="Valleygolfer" url="/t/72673/my-swing-valleygolfer#post_955855"]   Here is a DTL video. The changes to the stance were really good with the driver but the iron shots were frequently fat. The shot I recorded was 166 mph ball speed and 303 yard drive according to the simulator. [/QUOTE] Obviously it's still a new feel, keep at it, good to hear it went well with the driver.

Thanks Mike. I am completely on board with the changes so it will get there. I probably would have hit the irons fat either way.

• 1 month later...
Ugh... first time out and pulled EVERY drive. I am guessing I over rotated my torso. Need some range time...

Note: This thread is 2025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!