IGNORED

Rate my divots !! Just to see how I'm doing.

Note: This thread is 3334 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah, that one is kinda close, but there is room between them. That's all the room I had to work with, and they'll still fill in nicely.

The real point is that strips with a bit of room between them is better than a single large 18" square that a lot of even better players leave behind. Unfortunately the bomb crater scenario (like where I'm standing in my pic) is a lot more common than either.

We have 2x4's dividing each hitting station, with spikes holding them in place, I find that after awhile, if the grounds crew hasn't moved the dividers in a couple days, I end up moving the dividers a foot or two in order to use some decent grass.  I shouldn't have to do that, but it's just amazing how many people think just like the OP.  The majority of golfers, unfortunately.

Think of it as a random game. Based on my divots from today what can you tell about my swing?

Looks like you have a nice smooth backswing with a slight pause at the top. Downswing moves into the ball with decent force, creating a nice push pull punch cut fade draw pattern. Impressive!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The real point is that strips with a bit of room between them is better than a single large 18" square that a lot of even better players leave behind.

ok, I'm guilty of this. I guess I just assumed that all grass out here was reseeded and not the "creeping" kind. But I honestly have no idea. I also assumed that the smaller total area was better as well. Maybe I'll start doing strips from now on. :)

David: Nice furrows. However, I had this discussion with our pro, and he said that for Bermuda grass like we have down south, there should be about 6" between rows to allow enough of the Bermuda runners to run out quickly. Up north, they rely on seed to get the grass back, so taking rectangles is preferred. He is originally from Maine, so I guess he should know.

Either way is MUCH MUCH better than the OP's battlefield scenario. I hate to practice after a group of hacks demolish the driving range. It's one of my pet peeves.

I was always taught to make a small square but I'll ask the greens keeper if he does in fact prefer rows however I know we don't use a Bermuda here and they reseed the whole platform that was just used it just looks and feels like crap when you see craters spread everywhere and can feel the unevenness of the ground because they are everywhere. I honestly can't recall ever seeing rows at our range only squares.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

Yeah, that one is kinda close, but there is room between them. That's all the room I had to work with, and they'll still fill in nicely.

The real point is that strips with a bit of room between them is better than a single large 18" square that a lot of even better players leave behind. Unfortunately the bomb crater scenario (like where I'm standing in my pic) is a lot more common than either.

We have 2x4's dividing each hitting station, with spikes holding them in place, I find that after awhile, if the grounds crew hasn't moved the dividers in a couple days, I end up moving the dividers a foot or two in order to use some decent grass.  I shouldn't have to do that, but it's just amazing how many people think just like the OP.  The majority of golfers, unfortunately.

Not only that, but they think it's some kind of badge of honor and we should all be impressed that they can hit the ball before the ground. I'll never understand this insecure Alpha male mentality that goes on at driving ranges (at least the ones in Orange County)...I want to post a sign at every driving range that says "Attention all golfers: Not one single person at this range cares how you hit a golf ball, or if you understand ball flight laws and D-plane. Act accordingly."  . . . LOL

Not only that, but they think it's some kind of badge of honor and we should all be impressed that they can hit the ball before the ground.

My experience has been that the knuckleheads who spread their divots over the entire hitting area generally hit the ground about 3" BEHIND the ball.

My experience has been that the knuckleheads who spread their divots over the entire hitting area generally hit the ground about 3" BEHIND the ball.

Sometimes more than 3"...

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Very good video! I've heard that some superintendents like a pattern like, I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I on Bermuda because each divot can fill in from all sides. As long as it's neat and starts at the right hand side of the box (and doesn't take up the whole box) I would think either would be OK. But I take strips unless I know somebody prefers something else.

Here's an excellent video showing the BIG difference in divot patterns for 50 balls: [URL=http://mccgcm.blogspot.com/2012/04/driving-range-tee-and-preferred-divot.html]http://mccgcm.blogspot.com/2012/04/driving-range-tee-and-preferred-divot.html[/URL]

Thanks Harmonious!! This is great, and I will do it like this from now on.

Thanks Harmonious!! This is great, and I will do it like this from now on.

Awesome video. Great information.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Ha it's a muni I think he would be more upset picking up the range balls

[quote name="BigDStars187" url="/t/72788/rate-my-divots-just-to-see-how-im-doing#post_956397"]I'm eating in n out it's awesome[/quote] [quote name="BigDStars187" url="/t/72788/rate-my-divots-just-to-see-how-im-doing#post_956423"]Yes do it [/quote] I don't quite understand where you're coming from with this. Why not just say "thanks for the info, I didn't realize that"?

Colin P.

Think of it as a random game. Based on my divots from today what can you tell about my swing?

I can tell you spend a lot of time working on your hair in front of a mirror.

Golf is hard.

I can tell you spend a lot of time working on your hair in front of a mirror.

I'm eating in n out it's awesome That's exactly right

titleist.gif 910 9.5 Driver titleist.gif 910 F 3 Wood callaway.gif 2009 X Forged Irons 

titleist.gif  Wedges  Vokey 54 and 60    taylormade.gif  Putter Daddy Long Legs

Ball : Whatever the hell I find at my job as a cart guy.

Why do we hi jack topics ? He asked us to rate his divots not play grounds keeper.

Because his divots mean nothing. We saw an issue that has more importance.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 3334 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!