IGNORED

My Swing (cedrictheo)

cedrictheo

Welp, just got back from perhaps my best trip to The Golf Evolution yet. For almost 2 years now the thing I've wanted to accomplish most in my swing is to "lay down the shaft" in transition...

Check it out.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's a video with Tiger's coach Chris Como and Dr. Sasho Mackenzie talking about why laying down the shaft in transition is so important.

Welp, just got back from perhaps my best trip to The Golf Evolution yet. For almost 2 years now the thing I've wanted to accomplish most in my swing is to "lay down the shaft" in transition...

Check it out.

Looks great!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

Gloop!

Need more Chinese babies.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/wmGWi5i07EE[/VIDEO] Full Speed 7 iron, just trying to flush it. Recently I've gone towards a MORAD p1-p2 where I initiate backswing with wrists and then right elbow flexion. Im a bit across the line at p4 but this forces me to flatten in transition which I love to see in my swing. Ball flight is very high draws. Would like to hit the ball slightly lower with less curve.

Nice job, definitely changing the way the shaft works.

Has the takeaway change helped with steepening the shaft on the backswing?

Mike McLoughlin

Nice job, definitely changing the way the shaft works. Has the takeaway change helped with steepening the shaft on the backswing?

Yes, this takeaway has helped steepen the backswing. I basically set up p2 with wrists and right elbow. Then I try to limit rotation of my left arm so shaft works very vertical as I turn and extend my torso. I always hated the feeling of constantly increasing wrist cock in back swing to manage if I was on plane or not. With this move I can get it to p2 with right amount of left wrist cock and right wrist flexion then just maintain those angles to p4.

[video]https://youtu.be/19sthnx0Mo4[/video] Here's a slowmo video of a drill swing where I do the backswing slow enough that I know I'm getting it right... (From last Thursday) You can see there's a bit of difference between this and the full speed swing I took above but they are getting closer every day.

Yes, this takeaway has helped steepen the backswing. I basically set up p2 with wrists and right elbow. Then I try to limit rotation of my left arm so shaft works very vertical as I turn and extend my torso.

I always hated the feeling of constantly increasing wrist cock in back swing to manage if I was on plane or not. With this move I can get it to p2 with right amount of left wrist cock and right wrist flexion then just maintain those angles to p4.

Cool. I've been doing something similar the past several months. Softening the right elbow from 1-2, allowing the club to "load", then just pivoting. Has really made it easier to keep my arms "in front of me" and improved the position of the shaft at 4. I do need to rotate my left arm less but it's much more functional than it used to be.

This is a drill I do a lot.

You can see there's a bit of difference between this and the full speed swing I took above but they are getting closer every day.

That's what it's all about, just sticking with it and getting it a little better everyday.

Mike McLoughlin

Wasn't Socrates put on trial and forced to drink poison? :whistle:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Wasn't Socrates put on trial and forced to drink poison?  :whistle:

Yes, for corrupting the minds of Athenian children... He questioned everything which is very similar to what goes on around here... How long do you think it'll be before @iacas is put on trial by the pga? I heard there are talks about making the 5 Simple Keys blasphemy! Every instructor must focus on grip, alignment, stance, and posture.

Cool. I've been doing something similar the past several months. Softening the right elbow from 1-2, allowing the club to "load", then just pivoting. Has really made it easier to keep my arms "in front of me" and improved the position of the shaft at 4. I do need to rotate my left arm less but it's much more functional than it used to be. This is a drill I do a lot. That's what it's all about, just sticking with it and getting it a little better everyday.

I like it, actually that drill is my pre shot routine (without the downswing)...

Full Speed 7 iron, just trying to flush it.

Recently I've gone towards a MORAD p1-p2 where I initiate backswing with wrists and then right elbow flexion.

Im a bit across the line at p4 but this forces me to flatten in transition which I love to see in my swing.

Ball flight is very high draws. Would like to hit the ball slightly lower with less curve.

This has gotta to be one of the most efficient looking swing of all the TST student member swings (well, other than mine, of course).

Vishal S.

This has gotta to be one of the most efficient looking swing of all the TST student member swings (well, other than mine, of course).

I agree he has a great looking swing. Keep up the good work @cedrictheo

I like @mvmac 's feel for the backswing. I am working on the same steep to shallow, don't get the arms and hands too deep move. I know Erik has mentioned a few times getting that right arm to soften up and let the hands raise up more. For me I can get caught in just raising the arms up and not turning. I think keeping that soft arms from P1-2 then turn might be something worth trying.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Thanks, it means a lot that you used the word "efficient" because that's what I strive for in all aspects of my life. [quote name="saevel25" url="/t/72865/my-swing-cedrictheo/30#post_1135802"] I agree he has a great looking swing. Keep up the good work @cedrictheo I like @mvmac 's feel for the backswing. I am working on the same steep to shallow, don't get the arms and hands too deep move. I know Erik has mentioned a few times getting that right arm to soften up and let the hands raise up more. For me I can get caught in just raising the arms up and not turning. I think keeping that soft arms from P1-2 then turn might be something worth trying.  [/quote] Getting the right elbow soft and tucked into the side by p2 has helped me a ton. Haven't seen your swing in a while but if the backswing is a priority then I'd definitely explore that feel.

Thanks, it means a lot that you used the word "efficient" because that's what I strive for in all aspects of my life.

Getting the right elbow soft and tucked into the side by p2 has helped me a ton. Haven't seen your swing in a while but if the backswing is a priority then I'd definitely explore that feel.

Going to take a look into that. I try to get my hands out in front of the body more, a lot of times I can't mesh hands and turn and I just move the hands and arms.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 7 years later...

Just finished a slightly extended "Elite Session" with @iacas on Gears at the golf evolution (2.5 days instead of 2)

The first day we dove deep into some backswing pieces as my pelvis trace wasn't great. I was moving my pelvis towards the target and behind me too much which had my pelvis rotating over 60 degrees. We worked on my left hip pushing straight away from the target and my lead knee going down towards my trail foot. We coupled that with more trail side extension in the upper body. I'm glad I was able to stick with this as long as I did. At times I felt I was hitting the ball worse. Erik told me this would be the harder piece for me and it would make the downswing pieces we'd add the next day much easier. He was right. Note to future self, learning is hard... stick with it.

The second day we spent the morning continuing the work on the backswing pieces above. Then in the afternoon we started to work on the "fall" in transition. We got my pelvis to dip down a bit while my torso got slightly ahead of my pelvis. Along with the fall, my left knee had to stay internally rotated longer into the downswing. Once that was in place we worked on extending my left side up and away (roughly a 45 degrees angle from the target line). This session felt a lot different than the backswing work in that I could immediately over exaggerate the moves and get "too much" of what Erik was asking me to do. Then I simply dialed them back.

Also I sprinkled in some camera and mirror work. This was helpful because I won't have gears when I go home to practice but I will have my phone and a mirror. I asked Erik questions if what I was looking for was right and started to create some checkpoints for myself based on his feedback.

The final morning we worked a bit more on each of the pieces from the previous day and then we did some speed work. Most of my swings the previous days were 60 to 70mph as I was over exaggerating feels and going slow to make sure I did what we were working on. Erik told me to throw that away and gave me some cues to gain speed. This was really fun. Was able to get my 7iron up to 90mph which is really fast for me. (I typically hang out between 80 and 85mph).

Finally Erik recorded a 10 minute screen capture going through my swing on the Gears system and talking through each piece we worked on. I added a bit and I'm sure this will be something I go back and look over the next month or two. 

Before leaving I hit some more balls and recorded some swings. Best it's ever looked to me. Especially the pelvis movements. I was also launching the ball higher with better compression. Really really happy with the progress we made and excited to get to work the next couple months and ingrain what we worked on.

Here's a quick video from the speed work:

And a video from some of my camera work

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1