IGNORED

Is Golf a Sport or a Game?

tigerwoo
Note: This thread is 2571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is golf a sport?

• Yes
    • No

Originally Posted by jamo

What is dressing like athletes? Rugby and soccer players wear collared shirts. 1. Is a mesh football uniform dressing like an athlete?  2.  What about baseball coaches, they dress like athletes?

And which golfers are the ones who do dress like athletes? 3.  Those who wear a t-shirt and basketball shorts?

1.  Yes

2.  The way you worded that isn't a question, but I will address it anyways.  I wouldn't call a coach an athlete.  They may have been an athlete at one time, but coaching in general is not an athletic event.

3.  Yes

Golf is a sport that requires its professional players to wear pants with the only practicality being to cover your legs.  Sure football and baseball players wear pants however football pants have pads in them, and baseball pants protect your legs when sliding.  If you take walking out of golf, the amount of actual physical activity you do during a round is close to 0.  I would venture a guess that a pros caddie burns more calories during a round than the actual pro.

2.  The way you worded that isn't a question, but I will address it anyways.  I wouldn't call a coach an athlete.  They may have been an athlete at one time, but coaching in general is not an athletic event.

That's the point though. They're dressed like athletes (I think we can all agree baseball players are athletes), but they're clearly not. Next time Bobby V goes to take Lester out in the third inning, he's not going to grab the ball and start pitching himself. If you're going to make that argument, it's not a huge logical leap from "dressed like athletes, but not athletes" to "not dressed like athletes, still athletes." The clothes don't make the athlete.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's the point though. They're dressed like athletes (I think we can all agree baseball players are athletes), but they're clearly not. Next time Bobby V goes to take Lester out in the third inning, he's not going to grab the ball and start pitching himself.

If you're going to make that argument, it's not a huge logical leap from "dressed like athletes, but not athletes" to "not dressed like athletes, still athletes." The clothes don't make the athlete.

If the clothes don't matter than why does everyone get so bent out of shape at what someone wheres golfing.  If a friend calls you and says that some of your friends are getting together to play some sports what would you think to wear?  Shorts and a t-shirt I would assume.  I don't think that you would even think to wear dockers, a belt, and a collard shirt.  Yet this is exactly what we expect people to wear when playing the sport of golf.

If the clothes don't matter than why does everyone get so bent out of shape at what someone wheres golfing.  If a friend calls you and says that some of your friends are getting together to play some sports what would you think to wear?  Shorts and a t-shirt I would assume.  I don't think that you would even think to wear dockers, a belt, and a collard shirt.  Yet this is exactly what we expect people to wear when playing the sport of golf.

I'm not saying clothes don't matter, I'm saying you can't use the clothes that are worn as a justification for whether or not something is a sport. To use your example, if a friend calls me up and says "we're going to play a casual game of baseball," I'm not going to put on sliding pants, a cup, etc., just as if he called me and said "we're going to play soccer." I wouldn't put on short-shorts and a collared soccer shirt. Yet we all consider baseball and soccer sports.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I'm not saying clothes don't matter, I'm saying you can't use the clothes that are worn as a justification for whether or not something is a sport.

To use your example, if a friend calls me up and says "we're going to play a casual game of baseball," I'm not going to put on sliding pants, a cup, etc., just as if he called me and said "we're going to play soccer." I wouldn't put on short-shorts and a collared soccer shirt. Yet we all consider baseball and soccer sports.

I am talking about sports in general, while you are nit picking individual sports trying to defend golf.  If you were going to do something "athletic" you would probably wear shorts and a t-shirt.  The standard dress of golf is considered to be a collard shirt.  I played soccer for 14 years and none of my uniforms ever had a collar on it.  If you wore shorts and a t-shirt to play soccer no one would think anything of it.  If you wore shorts and t shirt to play basketball no one would think anything of it.  If you wore shorts and a t-shirt to play softball no one would think anything of it.  But when you wear shorts and a t-shirt to a golf course, heaven help you from all the criticism you are going to recieve.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by trackster

I am talking about sports in general, while you are nit picking individual sports trying to defend golf.  If you were going to do something "athletic" you would probably wear shorts and a t-shirt.  The standard dress of golf is considered to be a collard shirt.  I played soccer for 14 years and none of my uniforms ever had a collar on it.  If you wore shorts and a t-shirt to play soccer no one would think anything of it.  If you wore shorts and t shirt to play basketball no one would think anything of it.  If you wore shorts and a t-shirt to play softball no one would think anything of it.  But when you wear shorts and a t-shirt to a golf course, heaven help you from all the criticism you are going to recieve.

I'd think "how's that person going to slide?" actually. Some sports (baseball specifically, football to some extent) have people wearing pants.

You're tying the clothing you wear too tightly to whether something is a sport or not. A guy dressed like a golfer playing basketball is still playing basketball and thus a sport.

It's a lousy argument. Tiger Woods has played in shorts, so it's a sport when he's playing the Tavistock Cup but not when he's at the U.S. Open?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I'd think "how's that person going to slide?" actually. Some sports (baseball specifically, football to some extent) have people wearing pants.

You're tying the clothing you wear too tightly to whether something is a sport or not. A guy dressed like a golfer playing basketball is still playing basketball and thus a sport.

It's a lousy argument. Tiger Woods has played in shorts, so it's a sport when he's playing the Tavistock Cup but not when he's at the U.S. Open?

Women's softball players wear shorts.  Watch a team USA game.  We already talked about football and baseball players wearing pants.  They serve a purpose.  What is the purpose of making a golfer wear pants.  Does wearing pants, a collard shirt, and a belt make you a better golfer?  Does wearing football pads make you a better football player?  The answer to the golf question is obviously no.  The answer to the football question is yes.  You may argue the football one, but I don't think anyone would go on a football field to play with out a helmet and pads on especially when your opponent is wearing them.  With pads on you are safer.

I am simply stating that if you want to call golf a sport, then I or anyone should be able to wear shorts and a t-shirt and no one should think anything of it.

I would think wearing a shirt made of collards would make it a sport.  You'd spend the entire round running from flies, birds, and crazy southerners.  You'd need to be in great shape to pull that off.

Does wearing...a collard shirt...

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

• Administrator

Women's softball players wear shorts.  Watch a team USA game.  We already talked about football and baseball players wearing pants. They serve a purpose. What is the purpose of making a golfer wear pants.

I am simply stating that if you want to call golf a sport, then I or anyone should be able to wear shorts and a t-shirt and no one should think anything of it.

And I think that's a stupid point to try to make. What you're wearing doesn't change whether the thing you're doing is a sport or not.

You can play basketball in sweatpants or a business suit. We played football at recess as kids and didn't change into "approved sporting apparel." Golfers are still playing a sport if they're in a t-shirt or pants. It's an irrelevant line of logic you're trying to force onto the discussion.

If you want to talk about why t-shirts and/or cargo shorts are generally not seen or accepted, this isn't the thread for that.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by ettsn

I respectfully disagree, Erik. Another good example is motocross. Yes, the motorcycle is indeed doing the "work" of going faster, but the sheer athleticism involved -- these guys have strength, flexibility and endurance beyond what almost any other sport would require. I would put them right up there with professional bicyclists in terms of sheer athleticism (and please spare us the doping references). And F1 requires drivers fit at a level you likely wouldn't expect. These guys spend 3-4 hours a day in the gym, and have incredible anerobic endurance. I'd even bet your typical F1 driver could outpace anyone in the PGA (yes, even Tiger) on a treadmill or swimming laps.

Check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJRk98CYU4U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL5pCs-1IJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5XDbBvTFs

That's not a workout...this is a workout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5D70hJrb8o

not to go into people's preferences here, but espn has the body issue and villegas did a cover:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/40701/camilo-villegas-cover-of-espn-body-issue#post_537753

thanks to tiger a lot of these guys absolutely look the part of athlete, even though i disagree with that being an indicator of sport.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Golf is a Sport....as long as you consider darts, Pool, HORSE (basketball) and bowling sports as well.

Golf requires great skill to perform at the highest levels, but its not taxing and can be performed by anyone that can walk or ride.  Darts and Bowling require skill to perform at the highest level and also require your opponent to match you shot for shot or roll for roll, to not fall behind.  However, you cannot impose your will, skill, tactics, physical prowess or anything else on your opponent.  Which makes Golf most like the game of Horse.

I live on a golf course and love the game of golf.  But I also play tennis and soccer and Golf simply does not compare to those sports on any level.  The Webster definition of a sport is simply outdated, as when it was defined, we didn't know the difference between aerobic and anaerobic activity.

The reality is simply that any sport that allows your opponent to impose his will on you (while you try the same) during a window of performance, should be a sport.  Or, any event that requires true athleticism to perform (like gymnastics) as well.

Bowling, darts, golf, billiards, horse, bocci ball, are all games or activities.  Yes, they can be  competitive as all hell, but they do not contain the dynamic elements (athleticism, skill under pressure) that define athletes.

If you define GOLF as a sport, then you have to define Golfers as athletes.  Golfers can be athletes, but 80% would never qualify for that distinction.

SUMMARY:

If you feel that bowling, shuffleboard, billiards, darts and the game of horse are all true Sports, then you must feel that Golf is a sport as well.

THE TRUTH:
If you believe that Golf is a sport, its because you want to define yourself as an athlete and have no other grounds to do so.

Golf is a great game, perhaps the best game.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by truthaboutsport

If you define GOLF as a sport, then you have to define Golfers as athletes.  Golfers can be athletes, but 80% would never qualify for that distinction.

That's false.

80% of people who play softball wouldn't qualify as "athletes" either.

A non-athletic person playing basketball doesn't make basketball any less of a sport.

I definitely classify golf as a sport.

A sport to me is a physical activity in which two (or more) sides knowingly compete against each other, and in which both sides have a fair chance at winning.

An example of something that is NOT a sport, is hunting. To be a sport to me, both sides have to know they're playing lol. Golf fits into that category. Therefore, it's a sport.

Originally Posted by truthaboutsport

Golf is a Sport....as long as you consider darts, Pool, HORSE (basketball) and bowling sports as well.

Golf requires great skill to perform at the highest levels, but its not taxing and can be performed by anyone that can walk or ride.  Darts and Bowling require skill to perform at the highest level and also require your opponent to match you shot for shot or roll for roll, to not fall behind.  However, you cannot impose your will, skill, tactics, physical prowess or anything else on your opponent.  Which makes Golf most like the game of Horse.

I live on a golf course and love the game of golf.  But I also play tennis and soccer and Golf simply does not compare to those sports on any level.  The Webster definition of a sport is simply outdated, as when it was defined, we didn't know the difference between aerobic and anaerobic activity.

The reality is simply that any sport that allows your opponent to impose his will on you (while you try the same) during a window of performance, should be a sport.  Or, any event that requires true athleticism to perform (like gymnastics) as well.

Bowling, darts, golf, billiards, horse, bocci ball, are all games or activities.  Yes, they can be  competitive as all hell, but they do not contain the dynamic elements (athleticism, skill under pressure) that define athletes.

SUMMARY:

If you feel that bowling, shuffleboard, billiards, darts and the game of horse are all true Sports, then you must feel that Golf is a sport as well.

THE TRUTH:

If you believe that Golf is a sport, its because you want to define yourself as an athlete and have no other grounds to do so.

Golf is a great game, perhaps the best game.

Wow you are out of touch with that explanation for sure if you think that the golf swing isn't an athletic movement.  And you compare it to darts and billiards of all things...are you serious.  I am a former college baseball player and I would say that golf is more taxing over the course of a season except for the toll that a baseball season takes on your arm. Golfers may not be supreme athletes like gymnasts but they are for sure athletes and getting more athletic by the generation.

I bet you would say that table tennis is a game also....well if you look at video of professionals play I'll bet that you'll quickly see that they are very athletic and that it is a sport for sure. I can play soccer, or football, or basketball in the back yard with my son and in that context they are a game but at the highest level they are sports and so is golf.

• 3 years later...
The argument of sport v. game strikes me as one of the silliest that we get into. The definition per Merrian-Webster: "a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other." Under that everything from football to fishing is a sport. The people that want to deride golf or anything else as merely a game and not a sport are just self-important jerks.

Note: This thread is 2571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!