IGNORED

Is Golf a Sport or a Game?

tigerwoo
Note: This thread is 2562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is golf a sport?

• Yes
    • No

Baseball, basketball and football are the only things I really consider sports.

Golf is a perfected hobby, not a sport.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

In my world, golf is a sport. --LBB

Bag: Bagboy NXO Revolver
Driver: Dymo STR8-FIT Tour 9.5
3w: Nike T405w: Nike T40Irons: Mizuno MP-33 3-PWSW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 56/10LW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 60/06Ball: Nike TA2/SPN

Golf is competitive against other players, with rules and a scoring system and is a

sport which requires a lot of skill and practice to achieve success so it is a sport. To me, I believe golf is as much as a sport as baseball. When talking about athletes there just as many(as iacas puts it) unfit athletes in golf as baseball. Well that's my opinion anyway

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I think a sport is anything that requires physical exertion or unique skill and has official rules and official competitions.

Hmm... this opens another can of worms which is what is the threshold of physical exertion that divides a sport vs. game/activity?... That's why I have to argue that hunting, fishing and perhaps even auto racing are more activities/games. If it's merely a type of competition, then a game like chess has as much validity to be called a sport as fishing.

Driver:  R11S 10.5°, Fairway Woods:  909 F2 15.5°, Hybrid:  G10 21°

Irons:  Tour Preferred MC 4-P, Wedges:  Vokey SM 52.08, 56.10, 60.04

Putter:  Tei3 Newport II / Circa 62 #3, Ball:  Pro V1X / NXT Tour

So, yeah... I tried to convince my wife that golf is a sport. She is adamant that any activity in which participants are observed with any degree of frequency to be smoking, and/or drinking during play, cannot be legitimately deemed a 'sport'.

Well... I still think it's a sport.

Whether or not golfers are 'atheletes', or if golf can be considered 'exercise', that my friends is another matter.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

what about Hockey,...? Soccer,... Rugby,... and the like,...?

I consider something a sport when you can play a physical game (so chess is out) against someone or another team and use some kind of defense against them,... (that makes tennis a sport to me) in games like golf and bowling there is no defense so even though it's physical it's a game to me,... But I love playing GOLF more than anything,... scuba

I was being a bit sarcastic in my original posts. I meant more along the lines, of those are the sports I care about, so they are the only ones that are sports in my mind.

Obviously there are other sports out there, but I would never put golf into that category. And hockey gets the axe on being a sport just cause they wear skates ;)

Golf is a game, pure and simple. A perfected hobby for the pros. Anything you can do without ever having to catch your breath, get your heart rate up just doesn't qualify in my opinion.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

• 2 weeks later...
I think golf is a sport, a hard one at that. I've met tons of people that could shoot a jumper, throw a football, hit a baseball but could not swing a golf club and hit the ball into flight...golf is you against yourself and the course, no one else to blame when you post double. I also should let it be known that I think surfing is a sport as well...

Sasquatch Tour Stand Bag

taylor made R9 460 - 10.5 | taylor made Burner Wood - 15 | callaway BB Heavenwood 3 Hybrid - 20 | nickent 3dx RC 4 Hybrid - 23 |mizuno MX300 5-PW | titleist SM Vokey - 50/54/58 | scotty cameron Fastback - 33'' | titleist NXT Tourhttp://www...

IMHO, golf is not a sport. Sports must be played by athletes and, by my definition, John Daly and Tim Herron are not athletes.

Unrelated to golf specificially, but I also don't think any activity that is judged is a sport. That is not to diminish the athleticism involved with, say, Diving. However, if a third party rating the activity determines the outcome ... NOT a sport (my rules, sorry)

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

By definition:
Sport:
"any athletic activity that uses physical skills, often competitive"
That would include golf, fishing, auto racing, as well as the usually considered
stuff. I think dancing may be a stretch, although it is athletic for some people.

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

My rule is:

If you can't "play" it, it is NOT a sport.

So you CAN play golf, therefore it is a sport.

You CANNOT "play" bowling, therefore it is NOTa sport.

You CANNOT "play" fishing, therefore it is NOT a sport.

You CAN play basketball, therefore it is a sport.

You CAN play texas hold 'em, therefore it is a sport (and shown on ESPN at that).

Just my two cents.
Taylormade R9 TP 9.5*w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S (SST PURE)
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black Hybrid 20* w/ Voodoo NV8 S
MP-68 3-PW irons w/ KBS Tour X-flex (softstepped 1x)
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

My rule is:

You can play dead

you can play opossum you can play piano Is dead a sport?

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

If you use a ball it is a sport. Other things can be sports also, but my definition is if a ball (a puck is the same thing as a ball) is used, then it is a sport.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

• 2 weeks later...
I consider golf to be a sport. I think a sport can be classified as such as along as a human is involved in the action (rules out greyhound racing etc.) and the athlete is doing it competitivly.

In my ozone bag:

905r 10.5 Graphite Design YS-6+ R
909 F2 15.5 Aldila VooDoo Fairway S
Benross VeloCT Resuce 21 Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum R MX300s 4-PW KBS Tour S MP-T10 50/8 Chrome 54/11 and 60/7 Studio Select Newport II 35"

i wanna hear more reasons to why people think golf ISNT a sports..

life is too short to play bad golf....

In the bag: but cant say its mine....
S-Yard: u101 4-pwKAsco: k2k espec H55/99Fourteen: MTV3 60' Burner TP 9.5' Burner 5w tour action reg.588 56' Vokey BV spin milled 52' Newport Pro Platinum b330 tour

isnt poker a sports too now according to espn...?!

geez what is goin on in this world....

life is too short to play bad golf....

In the bag: but cant say its mine....
S-Yard: u101 4-pwKAsco: k2k espec H55/99Fourteen: MTV3 60' Burner TP 9.5' Burner 5w tour action reg.588 56' Vokey BV spin milled 52' Newport Pro Platinum b330 tour

isnt poker a sports too now according to espn...?!

Don't forget they also televise the national spelling bee, I guess that makes spelling a sport.

Golf is a sport, physical skills = sport So that would eliminate poker, chess, and yes,even spelling as sports.

Unrelated to golf specificially, but I also don't think any activity that is judged is a sport. That is not to diminish the athleticism involved with, say, Diving. However, if a third party rating the activity determines the outcome ... NOT a sport (my rules, sorry)

I agree with this 100%

Now is golf a sport? i haven't made up my mind on that yet. if it is, then it's only in tornement play. I would not call golf under any other conditions a sport. If you are playing alone or with friends just for fun, IMO, it is definatly a game. Some one else said it's a sport because it requires skill and they said they have seen people that could hit a baseball or shoot a basketball but couldn't hit a baseball. I think that is bad logic. Most american kids grow up playing these sports. Most people i know, myself included, didn't take up golf until later in life. That's probably why they can't hit a golf ball.

Note: This thread is 2562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!