IGNORED

2014 WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have absolutely no problem with confidence. He started talking about how well he played this week and felt good in all aspects. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. He was stating the truth which he was asked about. He answered the question with a confident an truthful response. Again, no problem at all.

What I do have a problem with is when he starts rattling off his college an amateur accomplishments, in list format essentially. Then going on about how he's a top 5 player, when he has won 3 tournaments an no majors. For his age, of course those are still incredible accomplishments; but just no need to say that. Not only is it not accurate as of yet, its just arrogant.

People can disagree with me, but I viewed his interview and his interview a few weeks ago at the Accenture very arrogant. Sure lots of them are arrogant, but prove it first. Prove you are legitimately a top 5 player. Hate on Tiger an call him arrogant, but doubt you have and will ever see him saying "oh yeah so I have 14 majors, won 30 tournaments while still in diapers. Won 05 at Hoylake, just killed the field, nobody could compete with me. Was just so much better in 2000-2001 than anyone. I mean, Jack couldnt even beat me if I had one leg".

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I have absolutely no problem with confidence. He started talking about how well he played this week and felt good in all aspects. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. He was stating the truth which he was asked about. He answered the question with a confident an truthful response. Again, no problem at all.

What I do have a problem with is when he starts rattling off his college an amateur accomplishments, in list format essentially. Then going on about how he's a top 5 player, when he has won 3 tournaments an no majors. For his age, of course those are still incredible accomplishments; but just no need to say that. Not only is it not accurate as of yet, its just arrogant.

People can disagree with me, but I viewed his interview and his interview a few weeks ago at the Accenture very arrogant. Sure lots of them are arrogant, but prove it first. Prove you are legitimately a top 5 player. Hate on Tiger an call him arrogant, but doubt you have and will ever see him saying "oh yeah so I have 14 majors, won 30 tournaments while still in diapers. Won 05 at Hoylake, just killed the field, nobody could compete with me. Was just so much better in 2000-2001 than anyone. I mean, Jack couldnt even beat me if I had one leg".

And also, whatever he said at the end about just him an Tiger. Not giving credit to any of the other amazing players. Not Phil, not Ernie, not Rory, not Snedeker, not even god damn Jimmy Walker who has just as many wins this year as Reed has in his career. Dont see Jimmy Walker talking like that. Just no respect. His mouth might turn him into Poulter on an off the field. Remember when a few years ago, Poulter said something like its just him an Tiger on the course?

Hate on Tiger an call him arrogant, but doubt you have and will ever see him saying "oh yeah so I have 14 majors, won 30 tournaments ...

Actually, yeah--he does that.  When he won his 70th event, the question in the presser was something to the effect of "What does this win mean to you, Tiger?  And his response:  "It's number 70."  When he's in a press conference and a question about a major comes up, in at least 50% of pressers he'll respond something like "well I'm stuck on 14" or "I've done it 14 times so I know what I need to do..."  "When I won here five times in a row from 2001-2005, I could just see all of the lines perfectly..." (or something like that).

It's not bragging--those are just the facts of Tiger's life and career.  But he does list off his accomplishments fairly regularly.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is Reed cocky? I didn't get that vibe from his interviews...

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I don't like Reed. He's fat and his arms are too short.

You forget to mention his Charlie Brown head. ;-)

Lee

In My Bag... Driver:Titleist 913D3  3 Wood: Dunlop 16deg railer  Hybr:Titleist 910H 24deg  4-GW:Mizuno JPX825Pros

Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey 256-14  60deg: Mizuno Zoid   Putter: Odyssey WH Rossie (Left handed)

You forget to mention his Charlie Brown head.;-)

You're absolutely right. Now that you've mentioned that I'll never be able to unsee that...

Colin P.

I sort of like Reed, he played a smart game, stayed cool when the pressure was on. I didn't see the press conference, but I don't really take to much from those, especially from someone who just had his biggest win to date--I'm sure the emotions we're running high. He does have one significant challenge coming, and that is a child in the near future, everyone thinks oh that won't change anything, well its reality time, it will be a significant distraction, and something new for the 23 year old.

Here is his quote;

Quote:

“I’ve worked so hard,” said Reed. “I’ve won a lot in my junior career, did great things in my amateur career, was 6-0 in match play at NCAAs, won NCAAs two years in a row, was third individually one year. Now I have three wins out here on the PGA TOUR.

“I just don’t see a lot of guys that have done that, besides for Tiger Woods, of course, and all of the other legends of the game. I believe in myself -- especially after how hard I’ve worked -- that I’m one of the top five players in the world. To come out of a field like this and to hold on wire-to-wire like that, I feel like I’ve proven myself.”

I think he's saying pretty clearly that he's one of the top five players in the world.

Joe Paradiso

I personally think Reed's a tool. He's never even been in a major and he is considering himself to be of the top 5 players in the entire world. You're kidding right? He disrespected Tiger, Phil, Scott, and Rory for his comment. Winning a couple tournaments does not make you one of the 5 best players in the world. Hell, Spieth is a couple years younger than him and he has already won one, and who knows what he will produce this year as he continues.

Here is his quote; I think he's saying pretty clearly that he's one of the top five players in the world.

That quote came after he was asked about his previous "top 5" comment. He didn't just start bragging, he was answering a question. His choices were to try and be honest and explain what he meant earlier (at risk of coming across arrogant, which clearly, to most, he did) or ignore the question and spout off cliches (in which case people get bored at another robot), or back off the comment and throw out some self deprecating comments about how he's lucky and not very good (and risk being called a phony like Phil). Or option 4 ... Say it was all Gods doing, a la ZJ or Bubba. Like I said before ... These guys can't win.

Here is his quote;

I think he's saying pretty clearly that he's one of the top five players in the world.

An i'm sorry but to have proven yourself, you need to be a little more established on tour than he is. Plenty of guys come out an are amazing for a few tournaments or a couple years and fade into the abyss. He is not a top 5 player, yet. He sure as hell has the potential to be someday. But that quote and his comments at the Accenture are arrogant. To those who disagree no problem, agree to disagree.

:hmm: He said "I'm top-5 in the world."  That reflects his belief that he's among the five best players in the world. What he probably meant is more abstract, like "I can beat anyone." So, looking at those numbers, it looks like Patrick, with three wins since August, is right up there.

This is exactly how I read his comments as well. More of a simple belief in himself and his game at this very moment than him suggesting that he is destined for the hall of fame or anything. I will say that the listing of the resume in the interview was a little unnecessary, but remember that we're talking about a 23 year old that is barely over a year removed from being a completely irrelevant Monday qualifier. Heck, these last two interviews are quite possibly the third and fourth he's ever been asked to give on tv. He likely doesn't even have a publicist yet, lol. I'm going to cut the KID some slack.

I have nothing against Reed, but his words imho do speak louder than action, and that may tend to make folks a tad stand offish towards him. A little humble pie may be in order here..ya think..?

That quote came after he was asked about his previous "top 5" comment. He didn't just start bragging, he was answering a question. His choices were to try and be honest and explain what he meant earlier (at risk of coming across arrogant, which clearly, to most, he did) or ignore the question and spout off cliches (in which case people get bored at another robot), or back off the comment and throw out some self deprecating comments about how he's lucky and not very good (and risk being called a phony like Phil).

Or option 4 ... Say it was all Gods doing, a la ZJ or Bubba.

Like I said before ... These guys can't win.

He could have said, "I think I'm playing like a Top 5 player right now".  That would have covered his initial quote and qualified his self-evaluation which to some level could be backed up by stats to date.   Point is, if you're talking to the media and you want to be "confident" be prepared for some backlash.  He said what he did and now he might have to take some lumps from the fans, press and peers.  I am sure some of the guys in the locker room will be calling him "Top 5" to his face and / or behind his back.

Joe Paradiso

Time will tell, and we're still early in 2014.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

This is exactly how I read his comments as well. More of a simple belief in himself and his game at this very moment than him suggesting that he is destined for the hall of fame or anything.

I will say that the listing of the resume in the interview was a little unnecessary, but remember that we're talking about a 23 year old that is barely over a year removed from being a completely irrelevant Monday qualifier. Heck, these last two interviews are quite possibly the third and fourth he's ever been asked to give on tv. He likely doesn't even have a publicist yet, lol. I'm going to cut the KID some slack.

At 23 he should know a little bit better.  He's had a chance to see how others have handled the instant fame, like Rory, Spieth, Dufner, Bradley.  All these guys came out and were pretty humble.  I like confidence, I want a guy to believe in himself, but I think Reed crossed that line from confidence to arrogance.  He's got a chip on his shoulder and maybe an axe to grind, possibly with how Spieth got so much coverage last year.

Joe Paradiso

This is exactly how I read his comments as well. More of a simple belief in himself and his game at this very moment than him suggesting that he is destined for the hall of fame or anything.

I will say that the listing of the resume in the interview was a little unnecessary, but remember that we're talking about a 23 year old that is barely over a year removed from being a completely irrelevant Monday qualifier. Heck, these last two interviews are quite possibly the third and fourth he's ever been asked to give on tv. He likely doesn't even have a publicist yet, lol. I'm going to cut the KID some slack.

I agree, cut the kid some slack. So emotions run a bit high, he just won the WGC. Geez. I'm sure he will have a publicist knocking on the door tomorrow, maybe even one of the PR experts on here.

Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!