IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

A little crossover with TV, Stranger Things.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read more than a few posts in social media it might be over for Woods, without any hard evidence other than his performance at The Masters, this says the otherwise.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Woods playing with his son, Charlie, in PNC Challenge December. If you've seen the vids on social media (Charlie), you know it's a pretty good swing.

tiger-woods-2019-e1586349852317.jpg?w=64

Tiger Woods will have one more chance to win a title this year. The 15-time major champion and winner of a record-tying 82 PGA Tour events, will...

• Like 1

Steve

• Administrator
2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Woods playing with his son, Charlie, in PNC Challenge December. If you've seen the vids on social media (Charlie), you know it's a pretty good swing.

tiger-woods-2019-e1586349852317.jpg?w=64

Tiger Woods will have one more chance to win a title this year. The 15-time major champion and winner of a record-tying 82 PGA Tour events, will...

That's gotta be so fun for them!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's gotta be so fun for them!

Is Charlie going to be the youngest participant in that event? I've only watched a few and the youngest kid I saw was probably in university.

Steve

• Administrator
Just now, nevets88 said:

Is Charlie going to be the youngest participant in that event? I've only watched a few and the youngest kid I saw was probably in university.

John Daly Junior has played for a few years.

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I wonder since he's 11, how are they going to handle distance?

Steve

Father and son side by side at the range.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

This already aired, Nov 29th, but I guess they'll replay it.

GTY-1285796930.jpg?w=640

There’s a scene early in the upcoming ESPN documentary “Tiger Woods: America’s Son” that’s striking because it’s something we haven’t seen...

Steve

• Administrator

I recorded it, I think. I saw it was on, and then there was a later showing at midnight or something. I should have it, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Foley says he thinks he may have overcoached Woods.  There's no full copy of the interview online, it's only in the print edition if I'm reading it correctly and is a UK publication so probably hard to find in the US.

“Looking back on it now, I think I probably over-coached him. I was there at a time when he needed someone to support him.

It was a time in his life when a lot of people who’d been in his life for a long time started to ditch him. I think, unfortunately, I approached it from the point of view that good technique will take care of everything."

Tiger-Woods_201209_095330.jpg

One of the 15-time major champ's former coaches has shared regrets over their time together.

“Honestly, sometimes I giggle to myself when I think about it. Like, what was I even trying to tell Tiger Woods? Honestly. I remember one time he wasn’t chipping well and he asked me to take a look. If I had the chance again, I’d probably say, ‘Dude, you’re Tiger Woods. It’s chipping. Look within yourself. I’m sure you have the answer.’”

• Like 1

Steve

• Administrator

Talked about this with some people at the Teacher of the Year conference.

Foley got a very "broken" golfer when he coached Tiger. Not entirely Foley's fault, by any stretch.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Foley got a very "broken" golfer when he coached Tiger. Not entirely Foley's fault, by any stretch.

I had a lot of windshield time these past few days so I listened to Hal Sutton. He made the point that above a certain skill level, it’s all mental. And in his opinion, you need a mentor who’s been there and dealt with the highs, the lows, the loneliness, etc. 

Perhaps Sean is saying he treated the wrong disease?

On 11/30/2020 at 4:29 PM, iacas said:

I recorded it, I think. I saw it was on, and then there was a later showing at midnight or something. I should have it, I think.

Have you watched this yet, Erik? Curious to hear what you think.

Steve

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Vespidae said:

He made the point that above a certain skill level, it’s all mental.

Hal is full of shit.

And nobody has been where Tiger was, or even if it’s in a different arena, that other person isn’t Tiger, with his childhood or personality or experiences or body or anything else.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Have you watched this yet, Erik? Curious to hear what you think.

No. Way down on my list.

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

Hal is full of shit.

And nobody has been where Tiger was, or even if it’s in a different arena, that other person isn’t Tiger, with his childhood or personality or experiences or body or anything else.

Really? Based on what? Pretty strong statement on Hal. 

10 of Tiger's 15 majors were won with Earl in Tiger's head. Granted, Hal's comments weren't related to Tiger per se, but I know several PGA players who couldn't handle the pressure. They admit it. Vomiting. Alcohol. Weed. Anything to control the anxiety.

Earl did an amazing job of keeping Tiger focused without going down those rabbit holes.

As to others, look at Todd Marinovich (football) or Jennifer Capriati (tennis). Tiger is amazing, no doubt, but he's not the only child prodigy out there. I personally know Olympic athletes who started at 4 years of age ... and speak of the stress, the havoc their body took, the mind games ...

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Vespidae said:

Really? Based on what?

Based on a ton. Lots of topics about this here. Tiger was physically better than everyone else. He had shots nobody else could hit. It wasn’t just a mental thing that separated him.

Foley taught a broken (injured) golfer.