IGNORED

Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?

Kieran123
Note: This thread is 3461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Arrogant?

• Yes
    • No

I think he answered all the question great. I thought he handled the questions that were aimed at trying to get him to say something they could publish or talk about well. I see him as a person who is comfortable with who he is. He handles himself well. Just because he's out spoken it shouldn't be taken against him. I honestly rather hear someone talk honestly about themselves than sit there and throw out the same script every time.

As we've said many times in this thread, it's all a matter of preference and personality.  I think he comes off as smug and you don't think so. That's fine.

You can be honest and not sound scripted, but still be more humble.  We could create a long list of classy players that would NEVER have dreamed of calling themselves a top 5 player, whether they were or not.  I will continue to pull for those guys.  I'm not right or wrong either; it's just an opinion.

Keep in mind, there were two interviews.  The original interview was taped and played during the final round and the 2nd was after he won.  He had ample time to reconsider his choice of words and "clarify" what he meant.  He chose not to, which means he believes them to be true.

Very Johnny Millerish - Johnny was very confident in his younger years and felt he could beat anyone, including Nicklaus. What has Miller said about Reed's comments? Haven't heard what his response was - but think he'd be on Reeds' side on all of this.

Very Johnny Millerish - Johnny was very confident in his younger years and felt he could beat anyone, including Nicklaus. What has Miller said about Reed's comments? Haven't heard what his response was - but think he'd be on Reeds' side on all of this.

Right after Reed's winning post-round interview, Johnny said "He's definitely a good player, but I don't know about this top 5 stuff."   That's all I've heard him say about it.  Miller said something similar during the coverage that day, also.

I love that Rory took a shot at him in the press conference yesterday.

Right after Reed's winning post-round interview, Johnny said "He's definitely a good player, but I don't know about this top 5 stuff."   That's all I've heard him say about it.  Miller said something similar during the coverage that day, also.

I love that Rory took a shot at him in the press conference yesterday.

I think Rory likes to take shots at everyone if he can. He just has that fun competitive banter going.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There is a difference between self confidence and arrogance.

Reed has arrogance.  He comes off as annoying and unlikable.

Players like Phil and Rory have huge amounts of self confidence and come off as likeable guys.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Players like Phil and Rory have huge amounts of self confidence and come off as likeable guys.

That is your opinion. I like the guy, he doesn't bother me at all.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

For me to like him, I would need to see him win and show some class in victory.

Bragging after a win is not going to garnish many fans.

Tony  

Same here. Told him so at the Arnie Palmer tournament - he looked me in the eye and thanked me with a smile.  In retrospect, he probably wishes he didn't tell the whole world. But I remember TW being pretty confident in early interviews before he started winning a bunch of majors.  Now Reed needs to back up his talk. I don't like his swing. I think he's unathletic. Looks like the everyday hackers, physique-wise. Very different than many of today's top players out there - I think if he wins a few, he might become a fan favorite eventually.

Same here. Told him so at the Arnie Palmer tournament - he looked me in the eye and thanked me with a smile.  In retrospect, he probably wishes he didn't tell the whole world. But I remember TW being pretty confident in early interviews before he started winning a bunch of majors.  Now Reed needs to back up his talk. I don't like his swing. I think he's unathletic. Looks like the everyday hackers, physique-wise. Very different than many of today's top players out there - I think if he wins a few, he might become a fan favorite eventually.

So what? Should every golfer be ripped and look the same? Look at Graeme MCdowell, multiple time winner, and major winner, and his swing isn't that pretty. Look at Kutchar, constantly in the hunt, not a very athletic looking swing. A golf swing doesn't have to look anything. What about Furyk? Cabrera is a pretty big man and he's won multiple majors.  Just saying, don't judge a swing by how pretty it looks.

Class is over rated :-P

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I think many golf fans choose their favorite golfers by the way they play the game and how the players' swing looks. Nothing wrong with that. John Daly's personal, physical attributes, grip it and rip it, drinking binges brought him a following.  All I'm saying is that Reed's game might bring him a group of fans who don't necessarily need to see that perfect Adam Scott-type swing.

I know it's a dead horse at this point, but I don't think that answering questions with some refreshing honestly should qualify you as being classless.  When he was asked the second time and (I think nervously - since he had very little TV time to that point) he rambled off his resume, I suppose that could fall into the bragging category.

I still think that instead of jumping to the conclusion of classless and bragging, I'd prefer to give the benefit and call it confidence mixed in with naivete.

Most athletes exude confidence in themselves, which could be perceived as arrogance.

I don't think Patrick is over-arrogant, though.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Well said.  That's a good way to put it.

Well said.  That's a good way to put it.

I don't think that's a good way to put it, there are plenty of people who think that Phil is arrogant and probably just as many that think Rory is arrogant. Your also talking about a line (between arrogant and self confidence) that is hardly visible, in fact many may argue that they are the same. And lastly, should we really take what Johnny Miller says for anything? I mean, he's a great commentator but he is hardly humble and I don't think I can count how many times I've heard him stick his foot in his mouth (or whoever is in booth with him do it for him). I just don't think that Miller is a great compass for arrogance or lack thereof. *Disclaimer: Phil happens to be my favorite golfer and I love having Miller in the booth.

Maybe I am wrong and he is a likeable guy with a ton of confidence.

His post game rambling just annoyed me.  No need to self proclaim yourself a top-5 player when there is a whole ranking system to determine the top 5 golfers in the world.

Tony  

I don't think that's a good way to put it, there are plenty of people who think that Phil is arrogant and probably just as many that think Rory is arrogant.

Your also talking about a line (between arrogant and self confidence) that is hardly visible, in fact many may argue that they are the same.

And lastly, should we really take what Johnny Miller says for anything? I mean, he's a great commentator but he is hardly humble and I don't think I can count how many times I've heard him stick his foot in his mouth (or whoever is in booth with him do it for him). I just don't think that Miller is a great compass for arrogance or lack thereof.

*Disclaimer: Phil happens to be my favorite golfer and I love having Miller in the booth.

Phil and Rory  have major championships, and both seem less arrogant than Reed.  Phil and Rory didn't continue to tell people how great they were before they had  even PLAYED in a major, much less won one.  Reed has had the opportunity many times to back down from his comments (including Monday's press conference) and has continued to stand by his statements.  I guess it's a matter of perception.  Some people see that as confidence, others (like me) see that as arrogance.

Phil and Rory  have major championships, and both seem less arrogant than Reed.  Phil and Rory didn't continue to tell people how great they were before they had  even PLAYED in a major, much less won one.  Reed has had the opportunity many times to back down from his comments (including Monday's press conference) and has continued to stand by his statements.  I guess it's a matter of perception.  Some people see that as confidence, others (like me) see that as arrogance.

Definitely a matter of perception.  You "perceive" his answering one question honestly, and then being forced to answer the same question a zillion times after that with, Heaven forbid, the same honest answer as "continuing to tell people how great he is."

To me that is similar to:

albatross:  "Hey golfingdad, do you think you are ugly?"

golfingdad:  "No."

albatross the next day:  "A lot of people disagree with your previous statement.  Care to revise it?"

golfingdad: "No."

albatross a week later:  "People won't stop talking about this.  After having a week to think about it, now do you want to change your story?"

albatross and everybody else:  "Gosh dangit, what a conceited, arrogant, ****tard this GD is ... he will not shut up about how handsome he thinks he is!!!"

Definitely a matter of perception.  You "perceive" his answering one question honestly, and then being forced to answer the same question a zillion times after that with, Heaven forbid, the same honest answer as "continuing to tell people how great he is."

To me that is similar to:

albatross:  "Hey golfingdad, do you think you are ugly?"

golfingdad:  "No."

albatross the next day:  "A lot of people disagree with your previous statement.  Care to revise it?"

albatross a week later:  "People won't stop talking about this.  After having a week to think about it, now do you want to change your story?"

albatross and everybody else:  "Gosh dangit, what a conceited, arrogant, ****tard this GD is ... he will not shut up about how handsome he thinks he is!!!"

Bad analogy. Like, really bad.  I don't think someone saying they aren't ugly compares with telling people that you're a top 5 player in the world, when there's a system for determining that, and you clearly are not.  It also doesn't compare to rattling off every single accomplishment you've had since you were 12 in a 60 second post round interview, and then REPEATING that you're a top 5 player in the world, when even after your victory, you still are not.   Worlds apart from your silly analogy.

Saying you're a top 5 player when you're not( regardless of  if you've played long enough) is not "confidence." It's just incorrect.  I think that when a professional athlete ignores a statistical system and puts himself ahead of his peers, that's 100% immature and arrogant.  Imagine if the Broncos were in 3rd place in the AFC West and in a post game interview, Peyton Manning said, "we're the number one team in our division".  People would say, huh?  No you're not. You're in third. We have a system for that.  Same thing here.

Note: This thread is 3461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!