IGNORED

Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?

Kieran123
Note: This thread is 3466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Arrogant?

• Yes
    • No

Reed has the confidence of somebody who has something to hide...

Is it a cheese burger?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

EDIT:  I went and tried to find video of the original interview, but had no luck.  However, ironically enough, I did find this:  http://espn.go.com/golf/masters14/story/_/id/10694675/patrick-reed-turbulent-rise-stardom-golf

It's a long story, and I didn't read it all, but it sure has a lot of info that points to the fact that maybe he is, in fact, a bit arrogant.  Hmmm, maybe he stops getting the benefit of the doubt after all?? ;)

I think everyone should read the entire article if they get a chance. The first part paints a rather negative picture (rightly so) of Patrick during his late teens (I was a punk too).

But than it goes through Patrick's life and displays how much of a hard worker he's been.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

You'd know this how?

Obviously I don't know, it was just an opinion.

But I have seen tons of people that exude that much confidence while in public but then are completely different out of the spotlight.  An act to cover up insecurities.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Obviously I don't know, it was just an opinion.

But I have seen tons of people that exude that much confidence while in public but then are completely different out of the spotlight.  An act to cover up insecurities.

Or just not good in front of cameras. He was probably still pumped up from his victory.

I agree that Patrick Reed is arrogant, but not overly so for an athlete. Basketball, Football (Soccer) and Football (Olive shaped ball) have their fair share of arrogant people.

Kids in general are more arrogant, and it's really hard as a parent to teach them humility. This is one of the reasons I nudged my son to the school he is in. They teach humility above all else.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I was interested to see the last few weeks how he would be treated after that comment. It's not been very positive. I know there's some on here that saw nothing wrong with his comment and applaud his confidence, but you just get the sense that the majority of people view him as the American version of Ian Poulter. I even look at him as kind of a jerk right now, particularly his temper on the course.

He's got a lot of maturing to do. Win a major....THEN TALK YOUR GAME. The Cadillac Championship is not a major. Win the Masters...then you can go off.

I was interested to see the last few weeks how he would be treated after that comment. It's not been very positive. I know there's some on here that saw nothing wrong with his comment and applaud his confidence, but you just get the sense that the majority of people view him as the American version of Ian Poulter. I even look at him as kind of a jerk right now, particularly his temper on the course. He's got a lot of maturing to do. Win a major....THEN TALK YOUR GAME. The Cadillac Championship is not a major. Win the Masters...then you can go off.

Care to list his other two wins? Is that what golf is, "only after winning a major can you then talk about being good". I'll wager that if he were to win a major this year you would then say " well Tiger didn't play in that major so put an asterisk behind it". And let's be honest, he would get the same reaction from most if he won the masters and then "went off". And come on , really, his temper... the best player that I've ever seen play golf also seems to have one the worst (if not the worst) temper I've ever seen. You may have heard of him before, its some guy named Tiger...

I think he even tries to act like Tiger with his tantrums.  A couple of them were very "Tiger-like."  I thought it was strange that after his round he said that he was hoping to "put on a show for everyone", but it didn't happen that way."

What other player would say something like that?

I think he even tries to act like Tiger with his tantrums.  A couple of them were very "Tiger-like."  I thought it was strange that after his round he said that he was hoping to "put on a show for everyone", but it didn't happen that way."

What other player would say something like that?

He said that because he considers Augusta his home and he probably has a lot of friends and family in attendance.

Joe Paradiso

The poor guy finished bogey, bogey, bogey.

But he was good in college, so never mind.

Misc notes:  he's been good at ever level of golf and I believe he's only 24.....give him a few majors tournament  before throwing him to the wolves for playing poorly.....Arnie didn't win his first major until he was 29......the kids will learn.....the game if filled with a bunch of stiffs and I guess fans always will need a villain. Believe it or not, Jack was a villain when he started to compete with Arnie back in the 60s....

He said that because he considers Augusta his home and he probably has a lot of friends and family in attendance.

Then you say something to the effect of wanting to play well for your friends and family.  He still played pretty well.  To me, "put on a show" is just another small bit of arrogance.  Just an opinion.

I wouldn't mind seeing Reed get his a$$ handed to him a bit this week in the form of a humility lesson. I recognize and respect the kid's talent and skills - he's got game. I also applaud an athlete's confidence but believe strongly that there's a distinct line between confidence and arrogance and his mouth and poor judgement put him on the wrong side of that so far this season. You can exude confidence while remaining humble and showing the proper respect for the game and the proven champions. I saw this in a number of interviews with his fellow "rookies/first-timers" yesterday - all of whom handled themselves exceptionally well. Perhaps it's been a bit diluted over the years but golf is a sport that was built on and around a "gentleman's code". Call me old fashioned but that's one of the things I enjoy about a round of golf and would rather not see the sport go the way of "trash talking" and other nonsense that's found it's way into other sports. Yes sure, ball breaking and the like takes place amongst friends in a casual round but there's a different level of composure expected when you're a professional. Let's see how he reacts to his bogey-bogey-bogey finish yesterday amidst the pressure of everyone turning things up a notch or two to improve their position. Big test coming for him - if he keeps himself in check he could come out in a good spot.

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

I wonder why a top 5 player in the world, isn't in the top 5 on the leaderboard...

It was the first day, give the guy a break.

Joe Paradiso

I wonder why a top 5 player in the world, isn't in the top 5 on the leaderboard...

I've made it clear how much I dislike this guy, but that's not a bad first ever competitive round at the Masters.

It was the first day, give the guy a break.

If he is so good, as good as he claims he is, why didn't he do better?!?

If you are gonna run your mouth, you better be able to back it up.  He finished last in his threesome yesterday...

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Note: This thread is 3466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!