IGNORED

Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?

Kieran123
Note: This thread is 3467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Arrogant?

• Yes
    • No

AUGUSTA, Ga. – The Patrick Reed jokes never end.

Masters leader Bubba Watson even got in a jab Friday when he was asked to discuss the peaks and valleys of his golf game the last two years, since he won the green jacket here in 2012.

“Learning to be a good dad, learning to be a better husband, it takes time on you, it takes energy,” Watson said. “And then learning how to refocus, repractice, get back to the level that I think I should be at…top-25 player in the world. Not going to say top-five player in the world. Sorry, Patrick Reed.”

Actually, somewhere in the middle. Watson was ranked 12th heading into the 78th Masters.

Earlier in the interview, Watson described himself as athletic. One reporter asked him to discuss situations where he believed his athleticism separates him from others.

“I hit 9-iron the last two days, flew it 186 (yards) yesterday on 16 with a 9-iron,” he said. “I guess it’s all right."

I guess.

golfchannel.com

i love how Nick Faldo  coined it when Reed got to the 18th today.  Something about how Augusta will bring guys back down to earth.. lol

There are not many times when I laugh out loud during a golf telecast but I literally laughed out loud at that Sir Nick comment

You didn't need a crystal ball to predict Reed would choke at the Masters.  Playing in his first Masters would be reason enough, but it was compounded for him by the fact it's close to home and he had to live up to his own words.   I'm sure some of the green jackets let him know this week that his arrogance wasn't thought highly of.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I'm sure some of the green jackets let him know this week that his arrogance wasn't thought highly of.

I'd wager a good bit of money that they didn't give it a moment's consideration let alone go out of their way to speak to him about it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You didn't need a crystal ball to predict Reed would choke at the Masters.  Playing in his first Masters would be reason enough, but it was compounded for him by the fact it's close to home and he had to live up to his own words.   I'm sure some of the green jackets let him know this week that his arrogance wasn't thought highly of.

I think "choke" is a bit harsh. It was his first major, I'm going to cut him some slack.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yeah, I wouldn't say choke, either. I think he "tried too hard" and forced things which usually is not going to add up to good scores. He should have taken a page from his playing partner Jordan Spieth and look how he played relaxed and didn't get riled up over bad shots.

It really didn't help Reed, either, to look like an ass while playing. He is not making a lot of friends, not just among the fans, but among the players. Even they are starting to take jabs at him. But he's young enough to try and turn that image around and mature. Of course, I said the same thing about Sergio and he's still as immature as ever.

This is what I love... Patrick Reed sucks and will never be that top 5 player because he missed the cut in his first Masters appearance.  Um, Phil Mickelson missed the cut.  Luke Donald missed the cut.  Do those guys suck too?  Is he arrogant?  Eh, I think he's just confident and cocky.  If you're going to BE a Top 10 golfer, you BETTER be confident and being a little cocky isn't a bad thing either.  I was watching Patrick Reed a few times last year leading up to his first win actually, and saying the whole time "this guy is going to be a really good player".  I was watching his playoff with Spieth hoping he'd win so he could get into the Masters.  Then to see him win a couple more times... well folks it doesn't matter if he missed the cut this week, it won't matter if he misses the cut at the US Open, the fact is this kid is a fine player, and is one of the future stars of golf if you ask me.  There is no more 1 player on tour (Tiger).  There are now a group of 5 or 6 guys who are going to take over the golf world.

Quote:
I said the same thing about Sergio and he's still as immature as ever.

Sergios problem is he is his own worst enemy.  Plenty of guys have won majors who otherwise aren't really relevant in the least bit in the golf world.  Ben Curtis, Rich Beem, Shaun Micheel, Michael Campbell (I think it was him, who cares he does not matter).  Sergio said once "I just finally faced the facts, I'm not good enough to win a major" or something to that nature.  He has absolutely no confidence in himself.  People are pissed off for some stupid reason because Patrick Reed has confidence in himself, and I can't understand that.  He may have danced on the line but so what?  What if Reed goes out and wins 2-3 more tournaments this year.  Then what?

• Upvote 1

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

This is what I love... Patrick Reed sucks and will never be that top 5 player because he missed the cut in his first Masters appearance.  Um, Phil Mickelson missed the cut.  Luke Donald missed the cut.  Do those guys suck too?  Is he arrogant?  Eh, I think he's just confident and cocky.  If you're going to BE a Top 10 golfer, you BETTER be confident and being a little cocky isn't a bad thing either.  I was watching Patrick Reed a few times last year leading up to his first win actually, and saying the whole time "this guy is going to be a really good player".  I was watching his playoff with Spieth hoping he'd win so he could get into the Masters.  Then to see him win a couple more times... well folks it doesn't matter if he missed the cut this week, it won't matter if he misses the cut at the US Open, the fact is this kid is a fine player, and is one of the future stars of golf if you ask me.  There is no more 1 player on tour (Tiger).  There are now a group of 5 or 6 guys who are going to take over the golf world.

Sergios problem is he is his own worst enemy.  Plenty of guys have won majors who otherwise aren't really relevant in the least bit in the golf world.  Ben Curtis, Rich Beem, Shaun Micheel, Michael Campbell (I think it was him, who cares he does not matter).  Sergio said once "I just finally faced the facts, I'm not good enough to win a major" or something to that nature.  He has absolutely no confidence in himself.  People are pissed off for some stupid reason because Patrick Reed has confidence in himself, and I can't understand that.  He may have danced on the line but so what?  What if Reed goes out and wins 2-3 more tournaments this year.  Then what?

Make a cut in a major before you crown yourself top 5. Thats all. Be arrogant/confident/cocky whatever. But truly back it up. Adam Scott didnt need to say he is a top 5 player. Its just not necessary. Believe it, but just shut up about it.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I don't think anyone is actually saying he's bad etc. they are just laughing and taking joy in him failing this time because he seems like abit of a a-hole

• Administrator

Make a cut in a major before you crown yourself top 5. Thats all.

I was going to ask you if Tiger from the past four years a Top 5 player, but I think he's finished top five about five times since 2010 started… so that says more about how much we expect from Tiger than anything, I guess.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Did Phil Mickelson, Luke Donald and all those other guys you mentioned go on camera and brag about themselves after they won one friggin' PGA Tour event that wasn't even a major? My point with Reed is if you're going to talk the talk, you need to walk the walk first, which he hasn't done yet. My biggest issue with him isn't so much his cockiness, it's that he's a prick on the golf course. I was at Bay Hill and I've seen him on camera. The guy is a jerk. He's immature. I do not like him. I don't care what other people think of him, but I do know that there are a lot of golf fans and even players that do not like this guy at all. But like I said, he's only 23 and has time to turn his maturity around. I'm hoping for his sake he does.

• Administrator
Did Phil Mickelson, Luke Donald and all those other guys you mentioned go on camera and brag about themselves after they won one friggin' PGA Tour event that wasn't even a major?

Small point: he won more than one PGA Tour event, is 2nd in the FedExCup, and 23rd in the OWGR.

Small point: he won more than one PGA Tour event, is 2nd in the FedExCup, and 23rd in the OWGR.

He won one legitimate PGA Tour event (no disrespect to the Wyndham and Humana), the FedEx counts all those offseason events that most of the best players don't partake in and 23rd is a long way from top-5. Listen I'm not saying the guy is a bad golfer....just saying he's not as good as he is hyping himself up to be (right now) and he has nowhere near the class of a guy like Spieth.

And am I biased? You're damn right I am. I don't like the guy. I met him at Bay Hill and he's a grade-A jerk. He's one of the biggest pricks I've seen on the PGA Tour.

• Administrator

He won one legitimate PGA Tour event (no disrespect to the Wyndham and Humana)

Nah, sorry, you lose me there. He also won a WGC, which counts as a pretty BIG event.

the FedEx counts all those offseason events that most of the best players don't partake in

And won a WGC that almost all the best players played in. They're not "off-season" events. Those are things like the Shark Shootout.

All I'm saying is that your opinion would be considered more if your bias wasn't so obvious, or you didn't make goofy claims like the above.

Nah, sorry, you lose me there. He also won a WGC, which counts as a pretty BIG event.

And won a WGC that almost all the best players played in. They're not "off-season" events. Those are things like the Shark Shootout.

All I'm saying is that your opinion would be considered more if your bias wasn't so obvious, or you didn't make goofy claims like the above.

Well the WGC event was the event I was talking about. And I know they're not "offseason events", but let's be honest....they're not events that guys ranked in the top-10 in the world play in very much. I don't like the fact they made those events part of the season, but I'm not the Commissioner. And like I said, I'm not discounting the guy...I think he's a solid golfer. I just don't like him personally.

Well the WGC event was the event I was talking about. And I know they're not "offseason events", but let's be honest....they're not events that guys ranked in the top-10 in the world play in very much. I don't like the fact they made those events part of the season, but I'm not the Commissioner. And like I said, I'm not discounting the guy...I think he's a solid golfer. I just don't like him personally.

You lose me with this also. The Humana/Bob Hope has never not been part of the regular season. It's in January. It becomes a little ridiculous when you start disqualifying legit PGA events. I also have more to say about the timing aspect but am on my phone right now.

You lose me with this also. The Humana/Bob Hope has never not been part of the regular season. It's in January.

I know that. Never said it wasn't. But I'm talking about events with strong fields. Even Johnny Miller said the WGC was Reed's first real "big" PGA win. Like I said, I'm not discounting Reed's playing ability. He's a good player...not as good as he thinks he is, but he's good. I'm talking about the personal aspect of him. I, along with many others, don't like him. He's a very, very immature golfer but he has time to mature.

• Administrator

I know that. Never said it wasn't. But I'm talking about events with strong fields. Even Johnny Miller said the WGC was Reed's first real "big" PGA win. Like I said, I'm not discounting Reed's playing ability. He's a good player...not as good as he thinks he is, but he's good. I'm talking about the personal aspect of him. I, along with many others, don't like him. He's a very, very immature golfer but he has time to mature.

Sorry, but no. You used the word "legitimate."

So either, in your mind, there are only about nine "legitimate" PGA Tour events, or your definition is out of whack.

You can dislike the guy… but try not to look silly by degrading long-time PGA Tour events in the process, or someone's ability and records.

Note: This thread is 3467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!