IGNORED

2014 Masters Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I lived in Augusta during the time.  I read the papers -you'll probably find something in the Augusta Chronicle archives.

Palmer definitely didn't get a letter.  And I don't believe Jack or Gary did either.  Here's the article to back it up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/30/sports/golf-palmer-will-play-the-masters-after-all.html

Palmer definitely didn't get a letter.  And I don't believe Jack or Gary did either.  Here's the article to back it up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/30/sports/golf-palmer-will-play-the-masters-after-all.html

It was made clear that past champions weren't going to be playing until their dying days - and whether a physical hard copy letter was given to any of them - who knows?. The "letter" post was a euphemism for being asked to phase themselves out of the tournament.

It was made clear that past champions weren't going to be playing until their dying days - and whether a physical hard copy letter was given to any of them - who knows?. The "letter" post was a euphemism for being asked to phase themselves out of the tournament.

Ha ha.  That's the worst explanation I've ever heard.  I don't think anyone thought you were using a euphemism.  You even told me to look it up in the Augusta Chronicle.  We were all talking about physical letters going to players from the club. It's ok to admit when you're wrong.  We're all guilty of it from time to time.

Not like it was a secret.  Happened in 2002, when Hootie was Chairman.

Wasn't he with the Blowfish?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/

Good blogger who has been chronically his trip to Augusta National - yesterday showed the course along w/ 17th fairway minus Ike's Tree.

today ---- the Augusta National gift shop.

Hats 1 and 4 are awesome. I'd rock one for sure!

Will W

Not like it was a secret.  Happened in 2002, when Hootie was Chairman.

Yep....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=5064863

My favorite was when Arnie announced his last competitive round and said with a wink, that he "didn't want to get a letter"......

Even your article references actual letters sent to past champions.

Ha ha.  That's the worst explanation I've ever heard.  I don't think anyone thought you were using a euphemism.  You even told me to look it up in the Augusta Chronicle.  We were all talking about physical letters going to players from the club. It's ok to admit when you're wrong.  We're all guilty of it from time to time.

True...... :whistle:;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Spieth, Reed and McIlroy - that is a good group.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Yep....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=5064863

My favorite was when Arnie announced his last competitive round and said with a wink, that he "didn't want to get a letter"......

True......

What does your link show that the one I posted doesn't?  Arnold says he didn't want to get a letter, which means he didn't get a letter.  This discussion started by my statement that Jack, Gary, and Arnold never received actual letters.  Your link backs up my statement.

I find it hilarious that anyone on this site thinks that Augusta National would actually send a piece of mail to the homes of 3 of the most famous players in the tournament's history, telling them that they shouldn't play anymore.  Give me a break.

Spieth, Reed and McIlroy - that is a good group.

Did you hear McIlroy's interview? Reporter: "What do you think of your group?" McIlroy: "There's no top 5 players in the world in it."

Did you hear McIlroy's interview?

Reporter: "What do you think of your group?"

McIlroy: "There's no top 5 players in the world in it."

That's awesome!!!

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

What does your link show that the one I posted doesn't?  Arnold says he didn't want to get a letter, which means he didn't get a letter.  This discussion started by my statement that Jack, Gary, and Arnold never received actual letters.  Your link backs up my statement.

My mistake.  I misread your post and thought you were questioning that letters were actually sent to any past champions.

In David's bag....

I'd love to see a video of that. I'm sure it will be on 'Live From' tonight.

Will W

Ha ha.  Are you serious?  I hope this is true. :-)

Ha ha.  Are you serious?  I hope this is true.  :-)

Dead serious. I was watching his interview on Live From the Masters.

[quote name="albatross" url="/t/73499/2014-masters-discussion-thread/150#post_973588"]Ha ha.  Are you serious?  I hope this is true.  :-)

Dead serious. I was watching his interview on Live From the Masters.[/quote] That's outstanding! :dance:

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 3679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!