IGNORED

My Swing (14ledo81)

14ledo81
Note:Β This thread is 1096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Looks awesome to my untrained eye.

The pitching right??? :-P

A joke, I am sure I need work on that.

As far as the 6 iron, I have trouble taking that swing to the course or even range where I can see ball flight. Β I get to caught up in results, and fall back to my old habits. Β Maybe I just need more reps.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Went to the range tonight and then played 5 holes. I had not planned on playing and that was all I had time for. Anyway, I finally was getting some decent results with my longer irons. I had a decent tailwind, but I was still hitting my 5 iron out to 180-190!! Some were bouncing past the 200 yard flag! I have never hit a 5 iron that far in my life. Looks like all the work is starting to pay off. Thanks again @mvmac , @billchao , @JetFan1983 , and everybody else who has helped. That is actually the reason I wanted to play. I thought I could do good seeing as my ball striking was looking good. First hole, into the wind, and I pull hooked a driver about 225 into the left rough. It was not to bad though. I was about 145 out and hit 8 iron just over the flag to about 15-20 feet. 2 putt par. Second hole was a par three. Wind at my back and the flag was around 138. I hit my pitching wedge to 2'! Made that birdie putt. Third hole was a uphill par 4. I hit my driver around 230 and had about 90 yards to a raised green. I hit my gap wedge a little to good and flew it to the back of the green. Was able to 2 putt from there though. Fourth hole I fell apart. Hit a decent drive down the right side, but it ran through the fairway. Had about 85 yards and hit my sand wedge. Hit it poorly. Felt a flip and it came up short and right in the sand. Sand was rock hard and I did not compensate. Bounced the club into the ball and skulled it over the green. Proceeded to stub a chip to the edge of the green and then 3 putted for a triple. :( Fifth hole I pull hooked my drive a bit again but was still in the fairway. Hit a good 7 iron but it came up short. I made my club selection to quickly. I was just outside of the 150 marker, but that is also right where the fairway turned right, and I was on the very left side. It was probalu closer to 165 to the center and not 155. I was able to hit a decent chip, but could not sink the 6' putt. 2 putt bogey. All in all, I am pretty happy with how it went tonight. I think I can start shooting lower scores if I can keep up this ball striking.

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Great! :beer: I love a good range session.

You deserve most of the credit though :-)

Good stuff. @mvmac deserves a box of chocolates and a teddy bear for all the work he does around here in the member swing section.

Constantine

Great!Β :beer: Β I love a good range session.Β  You deserve most of the credit thoughΒ :-) Good stuff. @mvmac deserves a box of chocolates and a teddy bear for all the work he does around here in the member swing section.

No doubt. I hope he realizes how much it is appreciated. That is also the reason I get a bit upset when I see him give advice to someone and they kind of blow it off or don't follow it.

-Matt-

:dance: Keep up the good work!

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on the two backswing pieces (centered hip turn, not letting the arms slide around). Β I can do ok with this when taking only backswings. Β As soon as I try for a full swing though, back go the arms..

Anyway, I tried to just take a backswing while thinking backswing only. Β Then a slight pump, and downswing. Β To me this looks much better. Β Any thoughts? Β And how to ingrain this so it works when I am thinking full swing? Β More reps??

Sorry about the blurriness.. not sure what happened..

-Matt-

After struggling a bit lately, I decided to focus differently last night. Β I had been trying to work on two backswing items at the same time (centered hip, not letting arms slide back). Β This was causing me some issues. Β To much to think about while trying to swing. Β Last night I decided to just focus on not letting the arms slide around. Β I could see some loss of progress on the centered hip turn, but the arm issue appears much better to me.

Here is a video of some practice.

Full swing near end of the practice session.

Impact is starting to look better to me.

Here are some screen shots from the full swing video. Β A bit of shaft blur, but it definitely looks better to me.

Any thoughts/comments are welcome.

BTW, I am really happy I decided to put up a net. Β Other than the obvious benefit of being able to work on my full swing at home, it also can give me some feelings of satisfaction. Β I can take video, work on issues, take video again, and if I see progress, I get satisfaction. Β Even without seeing ball flight. Β I would recommend to anyone that does not have a net to get one. Β One of the best decisions I have made.

-Matt-

You have really good weight forward at impact. Β What is your miss? Β If it is low, you look like you could move the ball forward slightly.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

You have really good weight forward at impact. Β What is your miss? Β If it is low, you look like you could move the ball forward slightly.

I would say my miss right now is thin. Β Sometimes fat, but mostly thin.

I also think I am not taking this same swing to the course. Β I think I need more reps at the range to get comfortable with this swing. Β When I am hitting into a net at home, I can make some progress changing the picture. Β When I am playing though, I have a feeling that old habits are creeping back in because I am just trying to get something to work on the course.

-Matt-

I also think I am not taking this same swing to the course. Β I think I need more reps at the range to get comfortable with this swing. Β When I am hitting into a net at home, I can make some progress changing the picture. Β When I am playing though, I have a feeling that old habits are creeping back in because I am just trying to get something to work on the course.

Your elbows look like they might be separating just a tad on the way down. That can shorten your radius and **** with your low point. Try actively squeezing them together on the way down. When I start getting the thins I find this can help. Might just be a me thing though...YMMV.

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Your elbows look like they might be separating just a tad on the way down. That can shorten your radius and **** with your low point. Try actively squeezing them together on the way down. When I start getting the thins I find this can help. Might just be a me thing though...YMMV.

I think you are right on this. Β I have noticed on other players (good ones), that you can see the right elbow below the left arm on the way down. Β Not for me..

-Matt-

Worked on the driver tonight. Β In the past, even when I was improving "lag" with the other clubs, the driver still looked bad. Β Tonight though, it appears like I am starting to make progress. Β I like how this is looking. Β I can repeat it while hitting balls at the net. Β I think I need to get more reps so it will come more naturally when I play.

Here are a couple of stills from the above video.

A5 - Best this has looked ever!

Just before impact - as close as I can get with my camera.

Still trying to focus on keeping the elbow/arms from sliding behind me.

What I have been doing is as follows:

1) Β Setup

2) Β Take a slow backswing

3) Β Move the elbow more in front

4) Β While keeping the elbow in front, move back to setup

5) Β Swing

This has been yielding good results. Β I think when I take the slow backswing and then move the elbow more in front, it gives me a "feel" to focus on. Β Either way, to me, it appears to be working.

As usual, any comments/input is welcome.

-Matt-

Very nice, Matt. I'm going to stop giving you advice because you're getting better faster than me :-P

Seriously, keep doing what you're doing, it looks great!

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Very nice, Matt. I'm going to stop giving you advice because you're getting better faster than meΒ :-P Seriously, keep doing what you're doing, it looks great!

Thanks for the kind words. The visual is encouraging, but the ball flight is still not quite there. At least not consistently. Unfortunately I think it is still a case of the swing looking better than the results. I won't give up though. I have confidence that it will come around if I keep at it.

-Matt-

Still working on not letting the arms/right elbow slide around behind me on the backswing. :mad:

I had thought I was making progress, but then looked at a DTL view. Β At the top, it still appears the right elbow is to far back.

One thing I did notice was that at A2, my hands are fairly close to inline with my right thigh. Β Looking at vids of some better players, there appears to be a large space between where their hands are and their right thigh.

I tried a few backswings with the "feel" of reaching "back" more with my hands. Β Would this possibly be a "feel" that could help keep the right elbow in front? Β Using the mirror, it seemed to help.

Looking for some input if this would be a good "feel" to try, or if it could lead to more problems.

-Matt-

• Administrator

Still working on not letting the arms/right elbow slide around behind me on the backswing.

I had thought I was making progress, but then looked at a DTL view. Β At the top, it still appears the right elbow is to far back.

To be clear, that's best seen from a rear view shot. The camera can lie if you're not sure of the ways in which it can lie…

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Still working on not letting the arms/right elbow slide around behind me on the backswing.

To be clear, that's best seen from a rear view shot. The camera can lie if you're not sure of the ways in which it can lie…

Thanks. Β Next time I vid, I will take some video from the rear.

-Matt-

Note:Β This thread is 1096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!