IGNORED

My Swing (CarlSpackler)

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 2638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm just asking because you said closed… but your shoulders are open to your feet and hips.

Correct. I was thinking "Need to close" as you pointed out the other night, but it came out "Is closed". SMH

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played a celeb golf scramble today. Team shot -7. Not great, but hit some awesome shots. Quite a few iron shots looked like they were going in. Hit a 6i to 3'. Driver was working pretty well. Had 2 big push cuts and a few that drew a little too much.

Oh... And our celebrity was Mike Mathis for you NBA fans. He had some great stories.

You weren't the celeb? Carl Spackler is a pretty popular golfer :-P

Yeah swings looking better, soften that right arm and aim the shoulders more to the right.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

You weren't the celeb? Carl Spackler is a pretty popular golfer :-P Yeah swings looking better, soften that right arm and aim the shoulders more to the right.

I know. I am fighting the urge to narrate my vlog in Carl's voice. =D Assuming I do one. I'm definitely liking the swing changes and looking forward to more. Question - When you guys refer to softening the right arm, is that in setup or swing?

- Shane

What an ugly day. Drives were right, then left, then right, then left, then left again... Missed a few short putts. Had an OK shot out of a fairway bunker on 16 that missed just left. Nowhere to be found. 99 at TPC Michigan with 2 birdies on the back. Had some really nice iron shots (and some ugly ones), but bad driving on a Jack Nicklaus course will just kill you dead. Mind and heart was just not in it.

- Shane

Better today. 93 at Oakland Hills. Got some bad reads from the caddie and later found out he has only been there a month. DOH! Started reading my own putts and holed some. Gave the greens way too much respect in terms of speed though. They definitely didn't seem as fast today. Was fading the ball reliably today. Still hard to line up left when I'm so used to aiming down the right for a draw. The rough was brutal. Excellent time though.

- Shane

Latest Evolvr analysis came back from a driver update. Before my head Key 1 was good in the backswing but moved forward in the downswing. Now, it's moving back in the backswing. It does stay behind the ball, but probably why control is such an issue.

- Shane

Went to the range after dinner and they had everything all packed up and put away before we finished eating. Went home and recorded some "no ball" swings to see if the slow motion drills have been paying off.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

- Shane

Looks to me like you could get some foan balls and hit them at that white wall. I really have found it helpful to make changes while hitting at a net. No stress about where the shot is going to go.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I would set up a hitting net, then you could hit Real balls.....

I have one, love it..

I second the net. It's definitely the way to go. Just don't leave it out in the snow :doh:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I do have some foam balls, but I was really checking my posture and head movement. I have unlimited access to the range at my club, but they closed up early last night for some reason.

- Shane

I second the net. It's definitely the way to go. Just don't leave it out in the snow

No snow in so. Cali....... :-P

Here you go Shane!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
Here you go Shane!!!

Camera's not really on the toe line here… ;-)

Ball pushed and cut? Unlikely to draw unless it was toed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Camera's not really on the toe line here… ;-)   Ball pushed and cut? Unlikely to draw unless it was toed.

That one was definitely toed. Looks like I almost missed it entirely.

- Shane

Here are a few swings from the range last night. Still working on posture and getting my eyes looking at the ball (better) with shoulders not open (not so good).

Key 1 is better but still needs work. Head staying behind the ball, but shifts forward to start downswing. Driving distance is improving. I didn't put myself in big trouble off the tee today and had several drives that were smashed up the middle. The story of today was pushed iron shots and bad putting. Perhaps I've been spending too much time working on the driver and need to give my irons and short game some TLC.

- Shane

Spent some time this afternoon working on squaring the shoulders in my slouching tiger setup. OK, so I wasn't "working" on it, just trying to make it feel normal.  Funny thing. When I set up open, ball fades. Set up square, ball goes straight. Set up closed, ball draws. Go figure.

As I'm playing around with this, an older gentleman comes up behind me and says he is quite impressed with how I can work the ball. Umm, yeah. I wish.

- Shane

So now you know how to work the ball :-P I'll expect you to do that on demand next time we play.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 2638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!