IGNORED

The Sand Trap goes 3D: Visit to Cal State Fullerton Bio Mechanics Lab

Note: This thread is 3630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Got a cool opportunity from golf instructor Dana Dahlquist to visit the biomechanics lab at Cal State Fullerton. Thanks to Kathryn New and Robert Dudley for getting me set up and recording my swings. They have an awesome facility here, equipped with Qualisys cameras, two force plates, FlightScope and a simulator.

What's the point of all this? Basically there are certain things you can't see or can't measure precisely with cameras, getting this 3D info just gives us a better idea of what is really going on in the golf swing. Will also further illustrate commonalities of good players. Cameras are still a very good tool to use and obviously the most accessible to the majority of golfers/instructors. Understanding how the swing functions 3 dimensionally will help the golf instruction world to analyze swings more effectively in 2D. With more and more players/instructors doing this kind of data collection, the golf world will be able to move further and further away from the "feel is real" type of instruction.

Dana Dahlquist teaches Mike Drake, who is a mini tour player, much better swing than mine ;-)

Took some pic of the lab when Mike Drake was hitting

And some of my data. Might need @iacas to interpret some of these numbers :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@mvmac ,

Are you going to play with those ping pong balls attached to you from now on? :-)

Thanks for posting.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

This all seems very exciting. It would be great to get some ideas of what to work on from this. Seems to me to a good deal of data but without having ever seen it before I am unsure what to think of it all.

Michael

Thanks for the cool videos.

Yowza! I'd be in traction if I tried to do that.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

@mvmac ,

Are you going to play with those ping pong balls attached to you from now on?

Thanks for posting.

Wearing that stuff actually felt kinda weird, little restrictive with how they taped up my arms and thighs. At least I didn't have to get naked like Grant did ;-)

This all seems very exciting. It would be great to get some ideas of what to work on from this. Seems to me to a good deal of data but without having ever seen it before I am unsure what to think of it all.

A lot of this stuff just further verifies what we already know happens in a functional golf swing. From the torso measurements you can see that on the backswing my side tilt increases as my forward tilt lessens, I'm "stretching and bending" which allows my head to be steady.

Then there is also some interesting little things like my right knee is flexed two more degrees than my left at address. Looking at what my neck and wrists do is also pretty cool. Going to teach with Dana next Monday so we'll spend some time going over my numbers.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!