IGNORED

Do you have to be good to use lasers?

kleraudio
Note: This thread is 3583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Personally, I don't think it's my business to decide what is "allowed" for others to use and buy.

And, the only people I've ever seen take 30-60 seconds finding their distance weren't the ones with  range finders....they were the ones without

So, alternatively, I don't appreciate being held up by a golfer without a rangefinder that can't find the yardage marker and decides to hit his 150 yard shot when he's actually 200 yards out....rinse and repeat (I'm not hacking on you, just demonstrating that the argument goes both ways.)

That said - I only found it useful once I had a bit of consistency hitting my short and medium approach distances within +/- 10 yards or so....and for larger distances, +/-25 (just for quicker club selection)

IMHO - use what you like, don't sweat other people's choices - it's none of my business what they use or not

I'm offering my opinion on a forum, I'm not making it my business what is "allowed" of not.

My opinion is that Lasers are being bought due to their increased accuracy.

My experience is that lasers cause more delay than GPS watches or rangefinders.

My conculsion is that if you're game isn't good enough for the increased accuracy to matter, then a laser is a "waste of time" on both accounts.

Re the highlighted part, that is my thinking, I'm addressing that, you are/were obviously of an ability for it to become useful.

Another thing I notice when playing partners are using laser range finders is that some people are better and more efficient at using them quickly than others.

I don't know if it's a vision thing or what but some people just don't seem to have a knack for locating the pin very well.

I've also been in the cart with people that think they have the pin and say the distance out loud. On several occasions I have looked down at my GPS and realized they are waaaaay off and must be hitting a tree or something beyond the green. Then I sort of clear my throat and tell them maybe they ought to try that again.

It also surprises me when people have no idea how far distances are just by looking. Maybe it's because I've done so much hunting but I can usually make a pretty good guess just by looking. Just for fun I often take a look and make a guess before looking at my GPS.

So, alternatively, I don't appreciate being held up by a golfer without a rangefinder that can't find the yardage marker and decides to hit his 150 yard shot when he's actually 200 yards out....rinse and repeat (I'm not hacking on you, just demonstrating that the argument goes both ways.)

On that, I think there are two types of golfer that play without a DMD

The first type is the guy that has never used a DMD all his life, and he is well used to reading the course and causes no delays...

The other type is that guy who realises on the 1st hole they have left their watch/laser/rangerfinder at home :-D PANIC!!!!!

It is amazing how dependent and reliant we become on them

Don't forget, it is very helpful on the driving range to verify distance. I practice at a couple different ranges, mostly depending on wind conditions. I don't trust the markers they have and besides from different angles it helps to know the exact yardage. This will help you develop your iron game when practicing as you will know exactly how far you are at least hitting crappy range balls.

The only thing to take into account here though is those driving range balls are sometimes up to 10% shorter than a fresh new ball, usually a player can tell when they hit a ball that's in bad shape but sometimes they don't. I try to work strictly drills and accuracy towards the targets versus distance calibrating. Unless you find a batch of pretty good looking "found" balls that they put in ranges I wouldn't trust the striped balls.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

It also surprises me when people have no idea how far distances are just by looking. Maybe it's because I've done so much hunting but I can usually make a pretty good guess just by looking. Just for fun I often take a look and make a guess before looking at my GPS.

I will say that golf courses can throw you. If for lets say there is a bunker with a tall lip, but it sits 10 yards from the green. That can cause you to think the hole is closer. I've had that problem at Kittyhawk in Dayton. They have a lot of tall lip bunkers shorter of the green than what I am use to. You think you end up hitting a good shot and it ends up in the rough between the green and the bunker, o

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Best part about a lazer is you dont have to worry about squinting to see if the pin is front, center or back.      Probably the best attribute is by using a lazer you will learn the distances of all of your clubs.     I have my clubs fairly well dialed in distance wise, and I attribute it to the lazer ... all this just makes the game easier.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

On that, I think there are two types of golfer that play without a DMD

The first type is the guy that has never used a DMD all his life, and he is well used to reading the course and causes no delays...

The other type is that guy who realises on the 1st hole they have left their watch/laser/rangerfinder at home  PANIC!!!!!

It is amazing how dependent and reliant we become on them

I've been both types.  depends on the day and the course.

Can still muddle through, though it takes away some of the fun for me.  I like the feedback of hitting accurately (on occasion...), so I need to know my distance.

still, it takes a second to scan, much quicker than finding stakes and sprinkler heads - IMO

Bill - 

OH Yeah, this is very true. Earlier I mentioned taking the range finder to the driving range to improve your game by learning the true distances you hit your clubs. As MS256 is saying, it is a very good idea to guess distance before you laser it. You will train your body to "feel" the distance and you won't be TOTALLY dependent on the range finder like some guys I know.

I like the laser better ... one thing is for sure ... I do not have wait for it down load or guess what curse I am on.  :)

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I'm offering my opinion on a forum, I'm not making it my business what is "allowed" of not.

yeah, sorry about that.  It's a buzz for me when I see people talking about what should or should not be allowed for something as silly as a device used for leisure activity.  ("I don't think they should be allowed" on anything trips a trigger for me.  It's a lot different than "I personally wouldn't bother using them until I'm at -this- level of proficiency and constency)

You should get me going on when people do that for social and political issues.  We are a very intrusive people on stuff the just doesn't matter.

guess what curse I am on

and there's someone that plays frequently for sure..... :dance:

Bill - 

I will say that golf courses can throw you. If for lets say there is a bunker with a tall lip, but it sits 10 yards from the green. That can cause you to think the hole is closer. I've had that problem at Kittyhawk in Dayton. They have a lot of tall lip bunkers shorter of the green than what I am use to. You think you end up hitting a good shot and it ends up in the rough between the green and the bunker, o

Yeah I agree with that. There is a hole at Dogwood Hills where the approach is uphill and you have a really good look at a bunker that appears just in front of the green but is actually about 25 yards away.

When I used to play there a lot (and before I ever had a GPS) I almost always came up short of that green.

On the other hand I saw a guy blast a 3W 100 yards over a green one time because he thought he was at the 250 stake and was at the 150 stake (with a clear look at the green). I just shook my head in disbelief.

I like the laser better ... one thing is for sure ... I do not have wait for it down load or guess what curse I am on.  :)

I never keep track of what curse I'm on, I just let them fly as they come to mind :-P. The only reason I stopped using a gps app on my phone was it was a battery killer. I usually had plenty of time before a round started to make sure the course was loaded up.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I've been toying with the idea of getting that Bushnell V3.   Problem is, I don't hit many greens......  My up and down game is phenomenal because of it though :p

Would it be a waste of money to get the laser rangefinder?  Should I just stick with my iPhone app (GPS smartphone app eats batteries like crazy)

Thanks

Jim

If your not even half the time hitting your approaches on some sort of decent line and fairly consistent distance then buying a laser would be a waste of money, use the GPS on your phone and take the money you would have spent on a laser and get lessons instead you will be much further along that way.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

How much you need a rangefinder depends on the course mostly. I think even 20+ cappers would find the rangefinder useful to them if they use it properly. And more to the point, if they don't overestimate how far their clubs go, it'll be useful. The course I normally play on has lots of sprinkler heads with distances, so it's pretty easy to get a good enough distance without the rangefinder. There two problems with rangefinders that I've seen: (1) Sometimes you can think you're getting the flag but are actually getting something else. I saw this twice playing yesterday. The guy was definitely hitting trees behind the green and not the pin. I played that course enough to know within about 5 yards what the distances are on the par 3s, and the rangefinder was long by about 10 yards both times. This course does not have the prism in the flag. (2) If you have a blind shot, they aren't going to help that much. And these are the shots where you likely need the rangefinders the most. GPS solves that problem.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

This thread wasn't started to be be a debate on either the GPS or Laser methods. IT was about whether that higher handicap player actually NEEDS one. Either one. If you are fairly consistent with your distances, then by all means use it. You may not be straight, but that's another matter. Just knowing that you have the right club IN CASE you hit it straight takes some doubt out of your mind and will let you concentrate on the shot. Not whether you have the right club. On the other hand- if you're all over the place and can't hit 3-4 in a row to a general distance in a reasonably straight fashion, then, no- try working on that first. As you may have read on a few other threads about what ticks people off, if you're standing there sighting in a flag at 195 yds out, take your shot, clank one 10 yards, then lase again and proceed to do clank again, you aren't helping anyone else out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayG View Post

IT was about whether that higher handicap player actually NEEDS one. Either one

though I'll contend that I don't care if he/she 'needs' it.  it they want one, and will pay for it, cool.  I don't even care if it helps their game or not.  (But I certainly am happy to discuss at what level of competence any players needs to begin appreciating and benefitting from one.....)

I feel the same way about too technical of clubs, fancy bags with monograms and funny hats that come with a free bowl of soup.

GO ECONOMY!!

(post sponsored by the global laser rangefinder manufacturers and sales commission)

Quote:
if you're standing there sighting in a flag at 195 yds out, take your shot, clank one 10 yards, then lase again and proceed to do clank again, you aren't helping anyone else out there.

I like to call that my 'pre-shot routine'....everybody needs one.  It helps me keep straight which curse I'm on as well.

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Thanks for the input everyone!  Great stuff here.  Keep it coming

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

Best part about a lazer is you dont have to worry about squinting to see if the pin is front, center or back.      Probably the best attribute is by using a lazer you will learn the distances of all of your clubs.     I have my clubs fairly well dialed in distance wise, and I attribute it to the lazer ... all this just makes the game easier.

I would agree with this. Surprising that I feel more confident when selecting between sand wedge and approach wedge when I have the exact yardage. Love the V3 with jolt.

Note: This thread is 3583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!